• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta shocks wall street...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Delta or any other airline is a for profit business. The numbers all need to be on the plus side. The attitude of $41m, $12m, etc. as a loss being acceptable is not acceptable, GAAP or non-GAAP accounting included. A profit is what matters and is the only item that is going to save a for profit business.

The attitude that CEOs deserve their pay because they lost less than the competition but still lost money is absurd. We as pilots are not underachievers hoping the grading curve gets us through the next critical situation. So why do we accept that from our management team?

Well, it can be a work in progress. When going through a BK there are plenty of other costs that are not associated with aviation, like lawyer fees and BK related costs. When the process is over with then profits must be made, that is true. In the meantime, better results than previous quarters are probably acceptable. Management is trying to cut costs and renegotiate contracts with employees, vendors, and lessors. So far they have done a great job, and forcasts for future profits have already been acknowledged by many, even Parker. Again, it is a work in progress....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Many of the cost savings from BK don't kick in until next year.

"Cost savings..." :laugh: I don't have a dog in this race and this is not meant as a criticism of any DAL employees... but I can't help but wonder how all the suppliers, vendors, manufacturers, contractors, investors, etc... feel knowing Delta will renege on about $15 BILLION in obligations (debt) owed to them.

It's an amazing world where you can rack up approximately $22 BILLION in debt and simply walk away from 2/3's of it through a bankruptcy filing. That's a heck of a lot of money that suppliers will not be paid for services rendered, parts supplied, aircraft repaired, catered, fueled, etc... All of these services were performed in good faith with an expectation of payment. So, I chuckle when I read about Delta's "cost savings" (in other words... "we're simply not going to pay that huge sum of money to all those legitimate companies that trusted us and supplied us with the essentials to keep our airline operating... for if we did we'd be out of business!")

Forgive me, but I just don't believe any company ought to be able to do that. Heck, the same can be said for the Delta employees and the loss of their pensions. That pension money was earned and it should have to be set aside and paid out. Here again, if Delta actually had to pay its obligations it would be out of business.

Tell me again why so many pilots are eager to work for Delta now that they've announced hiring? :confused:

BBB

Tell me again why so many pilots are eager to work for Delta now that they've announced hiring? :confused:

BBB
It's a riot, isn't it? This industries employees only undertand the here and now, and could give a rat's arz about the health of the company. You think if reason had raised it's ugly head 10 years ago that DL would be in this position today. They'll all climb back on the floating log like a bunch of insects that think they are going to save themselves while they head for Niagara Falls.

Someday, somewhere an airline will emerge where their employees understand the long term consequences of instant gratification.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:pimp:​

Last edited:
Too, nobody sees that $22 billion. It came out of someone somewhere, someone elses Christmas bonus, someone else laid off, someone else not going on vacation, someone else stressing out they cannot meet payroll this week, someone else,,,,,, you get the idea.

delta's awesome mamgement team was the real reference, but if you want an apology just hold you breath. Funny how they rally the employees to keep the current management in power. Me thinks USair is the way to go.

Please.....Don't do us any favors!!

PHXFLYR:cool:

"Cost savings..." :laugh: I don't have a dog in this race and this is not meant as a criticism of any DAL employees... but I can't help but wonder how all the suppliers, vendors, manufacturers, contractors, investors, etc... feel knowing Delta will renege on about $15 BILLION in obligations (debt) owed to them.

It's an amazing world where you can rack up approximately $22 BILLION in debt and simply walk away from 2/3's of it through a bankruptcy filing. That's a heck of a lot of money that suppliers will not be paid for services rendered, parts supplied, aircraft repaired, catered, fueled, etc... All of these services were performed in good faith with an expectation of payment. So, I chuckle when I read about Delta's "cost savings" (in other words... "we're simply not going to pay that huge sum of money to all those legitimate companies that trusted us and supplied us with the essentials to keep our airline operating... for if we did we'd be out of business!")

Forgive me, but I just don't believe any company ought to be able to do that. Heck, the same can be said for the Delta employees and the loss of their pensions. That pension money was earned and it should have to be set aside and paid out. Here again, if Delta actually had to pay its obligations it would be out of business.

BBB

Take it a step further. If the bankruptcy laws were not as they are, maybe Delta would have never been in this position. How many bankrupt airlines has Delta had to compete with since deregulation? What about airlines who took ATSB loans? Delta is just playing the game that so many have before them. Not saying its right but, it is what it is.

I can't help but wonder how all the suppliers, vendors, manufacturers, contractors, investors, etc... feel knowing Delta will renege on about $15 BILLION in obligations (debt) owed to them.

BBB

I agree with you BBB. It is truly amazing how this continues in the airline industry. I think it all comes down to responsibility. A business should have to pay for services rendered, and not be able to get out of that responsibility.

clowns? most of the Delta guys have set a very high bar during their time at the airline. you owe them all an apology for labelling them as you have. show some professionalism and respect for the people who paved the way before you.

Too Funny!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back