• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta shocks wall street...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with you BBB. It is truly amazing how this continues in the airline industry. I think it all comes down to responsibility. A business should have to pay for services rendered, and not be able to get out of that responsibility.

So the BK laws only pertain to the Airline industry? What are your views on personal BK? Do you think those people should be shot if they can't pay the bills? Let's return to the wild wild west while we are at it......Thanks Fartknocker....

Bye Bye--General Lee

C2k, take a look at it. Downward pressure on wages and no retirement from the likes of you certainly have not helped! EMB-190, don't get me started. Go Blue!!!!!!

Maybe they will get the transcon turns someday that they have always wanted too!! That will be great for everybody!!! Yeah!! Go BLUE!!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Take it a step further. If the bankruptcy laws were not as they are, maybe Delta would have never been in this position. How many bankrupt airlines has Delta had to compete with since deregulation? What about airlines who took ATSB loans? Delta is just playing the game that so many have before them. Not saying its right but, it is what it is.

I was going to take it a step further but I slipped off my soap box. :D

You make great points.

BBB

I think it all comes down to responsibility. A business should have to pay for services rendered, and not be able to get out of that responsibility.

I agree. If the above were so, then all the Delta employees (and other airlines/industries as well) would have intact and fully funded pensions instead of the current scraps which will no doubt end up being funded by Mr. and Mrs. Taxpayer when the inevitable PBGC BANKRUPTCY occurs. Ironic, isn't it. The obligation buck just keeps getting passed (like our national debt) until someone is finally forced to pay it. That SOMEONE is always the lowly taxpayer because he is most vulnerable and least represented by the power brokers. I feel sorry for the poor and middle class of this country that are continually being squeezed. The bankruptcy laws really need to be further overhauled (I recognize the recent change.)

BBB

Publishers wrote:

Too, nobody sees that $22 billion. It came out of someone somewhere, someone else's Christmas bonus, someone else laid off, someone else not going on vacation, someone else stressing out they cannot meet payroll this week, someone else,,,,,, you get the idea.

No truer words are spoken. The company who files for bankruptcy is so proud of its so called cost savings by no paying money owed suppliers, hotels, freight forwarders, parts suppliers, uniform companies, rental cars, caterers, limo companies, the list goes on and on. Many are small business that now cannot make payroll; that have to refinance; that will layoff or will not expand or worse yet, go out of business.
Management then lets out press releases on the fantastic job they have done in their "cost cutting". What they have done amounts to robbery, theft pure and simple. Management essentially states; we got what we wanted from you, but we are not going to pay for those goods and services.
And the pensions that are not paid. Promises made over a lifetime to those who worked so hard for the company are now broken without the slightest bit of guilt or moral conscience.
The people who do these things are nothing but bottom feeding scum, who themselves will come out of bankruptcy with millions lining their pockets.

So the BK laws only pertain to the Airline industry? What are your views on personal BK? Do you think those people should be shot if they can't pay the bills? Let's return to the wild wild west while we are at it......Thanks Fartknocker....

Bye Bye--General Lee

I think that bankruptcy is used too often to get people out of trouble who wouldn't be there in the first place if they had a little responsibility. Businesses and individuals alike use the laws too often in my opinion. I have a problem with people who will buy things on credit and not even worry about paying for it because "they can always file for bankruptcy protection".

In my opinion, that is irresponsible.

Last edited:
I agree. If the above were so, then all the Delta employees (and other airlines/industries as well) would have intact and fully funded pensions instead of the current scraps which will no doubt end up being funded by Mr. and Mrs. Taxpayer when the inevitable PBGC BANKRUPTCY occurs. Ironic, isn't it. The obligation buck just keeps getting passed (like our national debt) until someone is finally forced to pay it. That SOMEONE is always the lowly taxpayer because he is most vulnerable and least represented by the power brokers. I feel sorry for the poor and middle class of this country that are continually being squeezed. The bankruptcy laws really need to be further overhauled (I recognize the recent change.)

BBB

Actually, you might be wrong. If Delta or the other bankrupt carriers that preceded Delta had to pay those obligations, some would have liquidated and there would be no pensions and tens of thousands out of work which means many collecting unemployment at the taxpayers expense. Food for thought.

Actually, you might be wrong. If Delta or the other bankrupt carriers that preceded Delta had to pay those obligations, some would have liquidated and there would be no pensions and tens of thousands out of work which means many collecting unemployment at the taxpayers expense. Food for thought.

I don't agree with mandatory unemployment "insurance" either. I believe (GASP! :eek: ) in personal responsibility. Part of being responsible is saving money and purchasing appropriate insurance (loss of license, unemployment, etc... whatever each individual deems appropriate to his personal life/financial situation.) If you find yourself unemployed, I'm still scratching my head how it's now MY responsibility to PAY YOU (via unemployment). :confused: :smash:

BBB <--- scratching his head at a lot of things in this world...

Bye Bye--General Lee

The wild west need not return, but there should be some accountability here. If someone is too stupid or irresponsible or unable to run a business whether it be their own finances or they hang a shingle somewhere, they should not be in business. So it's okay to loose $22B?? Delta will not make that much money in the next 100 years. They are upside down in thier own operation and are a burden on society and their vendors. They ONLY lost millions again. LOL.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back