• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta RFP on 10-20 widebodies maybe coming in next 2-3 years--article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey General I'll let you in on a little secret. Nobody likes that guy who lives to speculate on 'rumors of new order.' Far too many times my analysis of the USA Today has gotten interrupted by the speeches that start with 'just got back from the school house AND' or 'read an article the other day about possible...' Guess what sane people only give two turds when the ink goes to paper.

Hey man, I just posted the original article, and then when I saw the other one disputing the first one, I posted it. I didn't hide anything. Some people may want to know about "possible" orders that could increase hiring someday.

And look what today's (March 21st) Seeking Alpha stated:

Bulletin from today's "Seeking Alpha":

Thursday, March 21, 4:31 AM Boeing and Airbus are reportedly vying for orders from Delta that could be worth up to $6B at list prices. The airline is interested in acquiring 10-20 wide-body Boeing 777 jets or A330 planes for $4.3B, and a similar number of smaller 737s or A320s.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I thought delta was smart and only purchased used planes

DL has 100 NEW 737-900ERs coming at around 3 per month starting later this year, replacing older 757s, A320s, and a small number of domestic 767-300s. When they get close to the cycle limit, it is SMART to replace them. There have been other reports that DL may be looking for an additional 30-40 new narrowbodies that aren't NEO or MAX versions, as long as the manufacturers also take some old 50 seat RJs as a part of any deal.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Delta pilots are SELLOUTS- keep preaching that widebody line though

Chase that carrot pilots- it's all about the widebodies-

Heard Skywest is creating a bid for the CRJ 1000 to replace those inefficient -700's

I think I'd rather work for Skywest- hotter FAs and less corny pilots who at least seem to know how to have fun- and hell, give it time and delta's going to give them the domestic op anyway-

(Haven't dug on the arrogant double breasters in a while- so you know- no matter how good the delta job gets- no airline has done more damage to the airline pilot industry than Delta's continual lead in outsourcing-

How are those -900's coming along?

Delta pilots are SELLOUTS- keep preaching that widebody line though

Chase that carrot pilots- it's all about the widebodies-

Heard Skywest is creating a bid for the CRJ 1000 to replace those inefficient -700's

I think I'd rather work for Skywest- hotter FAs and less corny pilots who at least seem to know how to have fun- and hell, give it time and delta's going to give them the domestic op anyway-

(Haven't dug on the arrogant double breasters in a while- so you know- no matter how good the delta job gets- no airline has done more damage to the airline pilot industry than Delta's continual lead in outsourcing-

How are those -900's coming along?

You mean the 737-900's (ERs)? They are on the way at the end of this year. As far as sellouts, I think you really didn't understand the new contract. There were 70 new 76 seaters allowed, only if DL got YOUR 717s, and a huge amount of 50 seaters were dumped for their inefficiencies. Some on here say the 50 seaters were going anyway due to an AD coming out or those planes were getting high on cycles themselves. Over 300 of the 50 seaters had lease through 2015, which is a fact. Most of them are leased, and if you owned the leases and knew that thy were coming up on too many cycles, you'd probably keep them on leases until the end. Instead, Bombardier was looking to increase their CR9 production, and the only way DL would do that is if they could take back 3 or so 50 seaters for one new CR9. That could only be done via the DL pilot contract. So, take 717s for a steal of a price, add a limited amount of CR9s and have the regionals fight over those to lower DCI costs, park 50 seaters that can't make money during high oil costs, and use the 717s where current 76 seaters fly, pushing those 76 and 70 seaters down to cover outgoing 50 seaters, using extra seats in those markets to try to make profits. It actually was a great plan that came together. DL pilots make an almost 20% pay raise in only 3 years, add more mainline Capt seats(717s) at great rates, get rid if over 140 total RJs that weren't profitable anyway, and even tightened INTL scope and domestic, while increasing the % of domestic flying for mainline vs DCI.

So Wave, where is the extra outsourcing? Read above, and then respond. Don't worry, you are already wrong.

Bye Bye---General Lee

General,

You're delusional if you think letting Regional 'partners' fly a plane as big as a DC-9 is a good thing. Those where the jobs that NW/DL used to do!

Anderson just dialed up the heat a little bit on the scope limits and Delta pilots like you are saying 'the added heat feels good, I can't really tell the difference anyway. Where's my larger check?'

Your right about the less 50 seaters, the better. But Delta really was up against the wall with those planes needing re-engined. Anderson came up with this deal (along with Bombardier's help) to save literally hundreds of millions of dollars, and you gave him a pass for a higher payrate. You sold out the larger RJ for more pay.....again. That's the point that Wave is making, and he's right.

You can talk about less 50 seaters until your blue in the face, but you STILL allowed RJ drivers to fly your DC-9 sized passengers for a payraise. Period.

Next time, Anderson will get the 100 seat level of RJ he wants. He's proven he knows how to play you guys.....like a Stradivarius.

He won, easily.

And you let him.

So now we care what Wave and Red think about our new planes?

You mean the same guys flying the heavy -800 to San Juan acting like they just launched service to another continent in a widebody?

GL, Don't fall for these two fools flamebait.....they are just mad the Delta interview didn't go as planned.

So now we care what Wave and Red think about our new planes?

You mean the same guys flying the heavy -800 to San Juan acting like they just launched service to another continent in a widebody?

GL, Don't fall for these two fools flamebait.....they are just mad the Delta interview didn't go as planned.

Don't worry Bill, I enjoy debating Wave and Red. They try to make their points, but can't see the problems in their own backyard. DL has outsourced a lot, but the recent contract did address some of these issues, and they don't want to acknowledge that. That's ok, Wave and Red are probably good guys any of us would have drinks with.

Bye Bye---General Lee

General,

You're delusional if you think letting Regional 'partners' fly a plane as big as a DC-9 is a good thing. Those where the jobs that NW/DL used to do!

Anderson just dialed up the heat a little bit on the scope limits and Delta pilots like you are saying 'the added heat feels good, I can't really tell the difference anyway. Where's my larger check?'

Your right about the less 50 seaters, the better. But Delta really was up against the wall with those planes needing re-engined. Anderson came up with this deal (along with Bombardier's help) to save literally hundreds of millions of dollars, and you gave him a pass for a higher payrate. You sold out the larger RJ for more pay.....again. That's the point that Wave is making, and he's right.

You can talk about less 50 seaters until your blue in the face, but you STILL allowed RJ drivers to fly your DC-9 sized passengers for a payraise. Period.

Next time, Anderson will get the 100 seat level of RJ he wants. He's proven he knows how to play you guys.....like a Stradivarius.

He won, easily.

And you let him.

Red,

Your airline and my airline have bad issues in the past. The RJ problem did start with mine, but progressed faster during a BK. If you haven't been through one, it sucks, and I hope you never have to. Anyway, the last contract did address scope issues and pay issues, now that DL is seriously kicking tail. There were issues about RJ MX, but they could have been pushed off until 2015 or later, and that would have meant NOT taking your 717s in the BEST DEAL EVER. Face it, SWA paying $137 million to DL to use their planes against them, and then getting the right to purchase them after the leases at then value was pure genius. Then, parking inefficient RJs and having 70 new 76 seaters fill in for departing 50 seaters, while making DCI fight for them, was great too. Throw in a 20% raise over 3 years, and many things were accomplished. Throw in tighter INTL scope, and more of the "pie" for domestic flying and codeshare with AK, and the outsourcing problem was addressed. Maybe not totally fixed, but on the way. It's hard to fix it all at once. You will see that in your next negotiations.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back