Delta Reports Q2 Loss

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Adding fuel to the fire...

This morning's WSJ...about Delta trying to stay out of bankruptcy...interesting...

"Mr. Grinstein continues to pursue new financing options that could buy Delta additional time, including talks with a consortium of lenders led by General Electric Co.'s commercial lending arm and American Express Co., and intensifying discussions with SkyWest Inc. to acquire Delta's Atlantic Southeast regional carrier."

jehtplane said:
Oh boy here we go again, it is all the rj's fault. GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about get bent Mr. I'd fly an rj if it paid 6 figures! Its not the fault of the rj, just the way mgmt chooses to use them!

737 Pylt said:
Amazing, the airline with the largest rj fleet has the largest losses!

Amazing, the airline with the highest paid, least productive pilots has the largest losses!
Wind check.:cool:

737 Pylt said:
How about get bent Mr. I'd fly an rj if it paid 6 figures! Its not the fault of the rj, just the way mgmt chooses to use them!

Just curious 737pylt...

How would you operate a competative hub in small O&D markets such as CVG & SLC without using RJs extensively?

What sort of a defensive point to point strategy would you employ out of key DL non-hub strength cities such as SAV, JAX, MCO, TPA without using RJs?

How would you provide the sort of nonstop frequencies to second-tier non-hub business markets such as RDU, RIC or CMH needed to compete with CO or AA for large agency contracts in the big cities such as NYC or BOS?

Which aircraft would you use to develop long-skinny routes like ATL-YOW or CVG-COS, for example? Or to try and develop new short-haul markets like ATL-TUP (Tupelo, MS) or ATL-APF (Naples, FL)?

To be fair, where DL management does really stretch the use of the RJ is using them between major business markets. I cringe when I see RJs flying between ATL & DCA or DTW or some other major centers like that.

But by and large I think DL leadership has done a very effective job employing the RJs across our network. And I don't think the bulk of Delta's woes are due to our friends operating under the DCI banner. It's more to do with how our mainline aircraft are allocated (smaller % of int'l flying vs. other majors as well as less transcon than AA/CO/UA) as well as a lag in our continuing efforts to get our unit costs down to where we can compete on a more-or-less even playing field with the LCCs.

737 Pylt said:
Amazing, the airline with the largest rj fleet has the largest losses!

Did I miss something? Did Delta start operating RJs? Last I checked ASA and Comair were making a profit...

ebaybob said:
This morning's WSJ...about Delta trying to stay out of bankruptcy...interesting...

"Mr. Grinstein continues to pursue new financing options that could buy Delta additional time, including talks with a consortium of lenders led by General Electric Co.'s commercial lending arm and American Express Co., and intensifying discussions with SkyWest Inc. to acquire Delta's Atlantic Southeast regional carrier."

I wondered how llong until someone brought up SkyWest buying ASA.

fsworld said:
Did I miss something? Did Delta start operating RJs? Last I checked ASA and Comair were making a profit...

Yea. The always popular "but WE (fill in the blank with any of the majors' regional partners) are making money". One of the weakest, lamest arguments out there.

Ever wonder HOW or WHY these companies are making this "so-called profit"? Do some homework next time.

Or see "Fly-I" if you prefer to see how it is NOT possible to make a profit using RJs if YOU are the one footing the entire bill.

ohplease! said:
Amazing, the airline with the highest paid, least productive pilots has the largest losses!
Wind check.:cool:

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. Oh and don't forget "how long is the final."

Latest resources

Back