• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta plans to open Saab 340 base at Atlanta hub

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Penske had a beautiful Saab 2000, sold it to one of the other teams when he got his RJ

Wow I've never really been called out on FI like this before, I don't know if I should be insulted or honored.

I wasn't calling you out in the least! I was calling out the folks who are spreading this stuff. Sorry if it seemed that way. :D

I also like the saab, it has a lot of, well, character.

You're right about the 'b' variant of the engine, but that's pretty much how it is with every other engine that goes in different aircraft-they are all slightly modified (and usually have the little -'x' designation).

You mentioned the Q series, you want to talk about parts issues-that's one. Parts are much harder to come by on new aircraft rather than older, as is the case with bombardier. I'm sure someone who flies those things could relate whether there are still availability issues, but usually an airframe with that many orders on the books is taking some of the parts for new assembly.

As for saab's response to a problem, I've sat in on a couple of those calls but with a different manufacturer. At least you got an acknowledgment of the issue. In my case I listened to a couple of reps say straight "Really? That's the first we've heard of it...". This was in response to a well-known recurring problem with an aircraft. I can't say I've heard much different about other support-gulfstream and dassault aside.

One other thing, people shouldn't mistake our company's decisions on which parts and how many to stock ourselves with availability. Just because it takes 2 days to get a part from a warehouse doesn't mean it's "hard to get". Who knows what we buy in advance-I'm going way out on a limb and guessing we do whatever's cheapest.

Mesaba may very well replace the 340, but it will be for the exact same reason we have them in the first place: they get a sweetheart deal on an airframe or some other financial push. I know I wouldn't mind any of the dash's, but who knows what's in store-we're probably better off looking for the craziest and most unlikely scenario.

The Saab 2000's was shut down because of the onset of the RJ's. I believe they tried to market it just when the CRJ's came about. At that time it was a tuff sell over an RJ.

It actually came out first, but the FAA wouldnt certify it because the tail surfaces didnt have a double or triple redundancy, I cant remember which, so they had to go back to the drawing board and by the time they resolved t, the RJs were out and the SAAB was doomed.

Mesaba may very well replace the 340, but it will be for the exact same reason we have them in the first place: they get a sweetheart deal on an airframe or some other financial push. I know I wouldn't mind any of the dash's, but who knows what's in store-we're probably better off looking for the craziest and most unlikely scenario.[/quote]

I agree, probley Metroliners, or Jetstream 31s

Hey don't knock the Jetstream. It should be mandatory for all pilots to have to fly one of them. And at least one smartarse passenger per turn will get to ask if you are rewinding the rubberbands when you spin the props after shutdown. But it's ok because it's the same idiot that will trip when looking up at the sign that says watch step at the spar....

Its not so much the Saab's are junk, but they are being pulled for maintenance all the time it seems. Every day, it seems as if I get some last minute deferral, or need a plane switch.

But they are like the little step brother you hate, but love at times. It's a hell of a plane.

Real men fly pink!

Its not so much the Saab's are junk, but they are being pulled for maintenance all the time it seems. Every day, it seems as if I get some last minute deferral, or need a plane switch.

But they are like the little step brother you hate, but love at times. It's a hell of a plane.

Real men fly pink!

Now by pink do you mean a vagina?

Latest resources

Back