• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
P

psysix

November 2, 2005

Dear Fellow Pilot,

Yesterday Delta management followed through with their threat to file an 1113 motion to reject the pilot contract. Despite statements to the contrary, it is clear they never had any intention of meaningfully engaging in a negotiation process they themselves endorsed.

Discussions on an interim agreement to prevent an 1113 filing were authorized by the MEC on the 19th of October. The first meeting took place Friday the 21st. Early the next week, I ordered our negotiators home after it appeared that management's team had no interest in reaching an interim agreement. Last Friday afternoon I met with Gerald Grinstein to discuss the future of these discussions and to reaffirm that we were committed to building a bridge towards a long term agreement. He affirmed to me that he, too, believed in that process and we agreed to get the teams back together on Monday.

Monday evening management's team presented a proposal that contained virtually no movement and also what amounted to an ultimatum - accept the terms by midnight or an 1113 would be filed the next day. Your negotiating committee rightly refused to meet the terms.

The 1113 filing is a clear declaration that management has failed. Unwilling to achieve a mutually agreeable solution through negotiations, their 1113 filing amounts to nothing less than an attempt to bully us into compliance. Management is letting their own unyielding and unreasonable demands dictate a path toward confrontation and further failure.

Faced with this management onslaught our only choice is self defense. We must defend the concept of the pilot working agreement itself. All legal means will be considered. In preparation for that I have authorized the reestablishment of the Strike Preparedness Committee and asked Captain Mike Donatelli to return and lead it. Management must know that we intend to vigorously defend our contract, our careers, and our livelihoods.

Your MEC will be meeting soon to determine how to proceed. ALPA financial experts and our bankruptcy counsel will be on hand throughout this process. Changes may happen quickly as we are operating under a compressed time frame. You may have heard of the "51 day clock" in an 1113. However, it could be shorter than 51 days. You will start receiving more information on that process shortly. It will also be available on the pilot website.

Despite the filing, we will continue to work to convince management to reach a settlement instead of imposing their terms on us - the so called "cram down" approach. However, if we cannot come to an agreement within the allowed time frame, the Court may authorize the rejection of our contract, permitting management to impose upon the pilot group the terms and conditions of their Section 1113(c) proposal.

Our goal remains to work for a profitable airline with a long-term future that will provide all Delta pilots with a stable, healthy career. For all of us who want to continue to fly, we will come closer to that goal through a negotiated resolution that preserves the framework of our contract than we will by allowing management to reject the contract and impose terms and conditions.

The Delta pilot voice is strong and clear, and we hear it. Emotions are running high as evidenced by e-mails, phone calls and lounge visits. Management has left us no choice but to defend ourselves against this bullying attack. All resources and legal opportunities will be pursued in the attempt to affect the most positive outcome for our pilot group and our airline. Your input and participation remains critically important.

We will keep you informed every step of the way.

Fraternally,

Captain Lee Moak

I'm ready to walk. With what they are asking, this isn't a job worth staying at anyway. I have already started lining up my next career........away from aviation.

Liquidation vs. capitulation.

Been there, done that two months ago at ATA. Stike vote taken, big threats from mgt. etc.

Good luck fellas, we're all counting on you.

HalinTexas said:
Liquidation vs. capitulation.

Delta is a $15B/yr cash cow for many lenders and lessors with $21B in assets, I find it unlikey, that GE, AMEX, New York Bank etc. would want to see their $15B yearly cash flow cut off and liquidate their $21B in assets for pennies on the dollar just to extract $325m/yr from the pilots. Can any of them even accurately predict what DALs revenue and cost will be over the next 5 years, + or- $325M. My bet is that they will settle for a smaller bite of the apple.

Blah...blah...blah...blah...

Terminate the contract....yada....yada....

UAL, USAir and NWA have filed similiar motions.........

NEXT ! NO SOUP FOR YOU !!!!!

320AV8R

FDJ2 said:
Delta is a $15B/yr cash cow for many lenders and lessors with $21B in assets, I find it unlikey, that GE, AMEX, New York Bank etc. would want to see their $15B yearly cash flow cut off and liquidate their $21B in assets for pennies on the dollar just to extract $325m/yr from the pilots. Can any of them even accurately predict what DALs revenue and cost will be over the next 5 years, + or- $325M. My bet is that they will settle for a smaller bite of the apple.

You missed my point. L v. C is the game. It's been played to varying degrees of success. DAL and NWA are late entrants.

HalinTexas said:
You missed my point. L v. C is the game. It's been played to varying degrees of success. DAL and NWA are late entrants.

I understand your point and it is a valid one. Personally I'd rather we liquidate then capitulate. Nothing risked, nothing gained. It does come down to brinksmanship, what's this company worth to them, could they live with a smaller bite of the apple and what is this company worth to us under the terms dictated by management.

Blah, blah,blah!!!!

Spineless,,,, UA,US,NW,DL,,, No one at any of these airlines is going to go on strike against a ruthless management for the "good of the profession". Sure it was easy to tell the CO, and EA crews to walk the line while DL flew extra sections to MIA in '89. But now that its a different place and time; "oh no, I'm not going to strike and shut down MY company." What a bunch of hypocrites.

Drop this thread and face it, we live in an industry of $175/hr widebody pay, and 401k retirements, and theres nothing to stop it.

Latest resources

Back