• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Pilots don't check for frost on wings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hot Water? My azz would be off that plane in 2 seconds if I saw them try that on frost.

I'm hoping you would wait until we had a chance to finish the FAA approved (121) procedure before you did so. Getting the jet bridge back is a PITA.
Just sayin.

DEICE / ANTI-ICE – APPROVED FLUIDS
CW/DPM Sec 2
Type I Fluid (SAE)
Unthickened, heated glycol and water mixture used for deicing or anti-icing.
Provides limited anti-ice protection. The freeze point of SAE Type I fluid must be at
least 10°C/18°F below the OAT. Minimum OAT for Type I fluid application is
dependent on specific brand of fluid. Holdover time may apply.
Type II/IV Fluid (SAE)
Thickened, glycol based fluids deposited in a thick film for anti-icing and which
remain on the aircraft surface until takeoff. Holdover time may apply. Provides
greater holdover time than Type I fluids. If Type II or IV fluid is used when the OAT
is less than -25°C (-13°F), verify the freezing point of fluid is at least 7°C (13°F)
below the OAT.
Hot Water
Aircraft deiced using hot water will have deicing fluid applied immediately (to
prevent refreezing) and then a recheck of the surface will be accomplished to
ensure all frost or ice has been removed.

Originally Posted by batsky2000
Well you can do what ever you want!!All my badge says is AIRCREW in big letters on the front and nothing on the back, in fact the last airline that I worked for, that badge did not say FAA or the airport name either, so your point is mute.

Haaa! That's all I needed to read! It never fails to amuse me! What a j%#koff!

You beat me to it! The only Idiot, Moron, etc... is the original poster. More and more pax these days are becoming beligerent "Backseat" drivers. I would be willing to bet that this specific situation didn't go down exactly like you described it. More than likely the original poster missed his (or her) connection and is a little pi$$ed.

Solution: Stop booking 30 min connections at some of the largest & busiest airports in the world!!! Problem solved! Some of you people sound like my wife...

"why would we take this flight? We are going to have to sit for an hour and 15 mins in detroit when we could take flight "XYZ" and we only have to stay in Detroit for 25 mins"

I have ZERO sympathy for you!!!! Coming on here and blasting a professional flight crew for what sounds to me to be a very suspect senario only shows your ignorance! Do us all a favor and please fly Southwest Airlines next time! They do not get frost!

You are the Moron >> You should know that Jet Bridges have Ladders for a reason. So you can check for ice on the wings!

In a previous life my airline had an ATR-42 in BTR, with morning frost on the wings. The Captain wanted to delay the flight while the aircraft de-iced in the sun (about 30 minutes). The station manager wanted to spray the frost with water and go on time. Guess who won. They sprayed the wing and it took over 5 hours for all of the clear ice that froze the wing solid to thaw out. Flight was cancelled.

I use hot tea, myself! :)

Just for future reference, HOT WATER works great getting your ticket yanked if the procedure is not in the FAA approved flight manual.

That's why you wait until the sun comes up if you don't have deice fluid - which is not a hot commodity in Florida.

Gup

I think I speak for most airline pilots.....I don't give a sh-t if you make your connection. My job is to get you there alive and well.

Agree 100%!! However, the guy who indicated you can't see frost on preflight "because the wing's too high"? Huh? Lot better ways to slam the poster than that. A DC-8 wing isn't exactly eye level either but I could tell if there was frost on the wing. I guarantee if somethin happens on take-off due to frost, the "wing was too high to see it" defense ain't gonna fly.

Kudo's to the pilot that got de-iced. Erred on side of safety, made a safe flight, landed safely. Nothin causes you to miss your connection like a fiery ball on departure. Plus-as much as he/they might want to, thank goodness we haven't gotten to the place yet where the pax are part of the CRM decision making process. Drive-on!

If memory serves correctly and I am sure it does there have been quite a few Part 91 dingleberries in the last 5 or so years flying pvt jets off runways cause they didnt deice the plane. Nuff said.

Latest resources

Back