• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta pilots-accuracy in reporting re:your contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The real issue with pay at my legacy and all 3 for that matter is we work far more for far less than decades ago. This issue needs to be fixed. But many don't do their homework and just take the first available offer. More collaboration needs to occur. For example, my friends at Delta and United were surprised I can drop a trip every month for personal reasons. I have done so almost every month. Look at the whole picture and choose wisely. I believe most can go where they want with great effort - prep and career enhancing positions and work (i.e. safety, training jobs). Many choose not to for various reasons and as such we all have different things we must uniquely contend with.

I will agree things are improving rapidly for the better at the big 3 and according to my squadron buds at the other carriers at United, Delta, Southwest, and my experience at a legacy, work rules are critical and should be improved and will be as these new contracts are negotiated. I've had friends tell me they feel as if they're on reserve every time they fly in and out of ATL and receive ACARS extensions quite often on the 88 and 90.

The one big thing to look at when choosing to go to a legacy is retirements because seniority is everything. Also, older pilots tend to work more weekends with grown families. This greatly improves a young pilot's chances of being home for their families. A contract with holiday pay has a similar effect for the young pilots with families. Can you drop trips and pick up another one? Other information is good to know as well. For example, a large amount of training causes buying trips from pilots and they get paid to not work. Retirements cause a lot of training events. Once the trip is bought can you fly another trip over the same footprint and make double pay? Yes I can! This is just one in many examples to research and target your choice job as well as retirements and future fleet plans as best as you can. What percentage of widebodies are there and what is the the minimum time to that position? Can you "create" a 8,9,10 day vacation every month if you'd so desire without working 12 in a row? 12 in a row (regardless of credit) is not my cup of tea. 3 on, 4 off and weekends/holidays off is right up my alley! To each their own of course. This job for many gets very old real fast. Can you go back to the right seat in the same equipment, move to other equipment? Are there contractual seat locks to upgrade?

Talk with and research until you have a clear picture. For example, I had no desire to spend 5-10 years in the right seat of a mad dog working 4-day trips Fri-Mon, in and out of ATL (puke) for Delta. I didn't care for stagnation, the 737 nor many leg trips only commutable on either end of a 4-day trip for Southwest.

Now to the OP point...sorry for the diatribe - some may benefit?

The overall annual compensation will be roughly the same as these contracts are built upon each other for similar aircraft at the big 3 so ensure you choose wisely. Good luck to all hopefuls researching for your final destination because, you will ultimately marry it!

You know, I just knew you wouldn't actually answer the question, no matter what.... again, as I figured you just go back to your normal shtick and talk about how great Delta is, regardless of the fact that what you're talking about has nothing to do with the discussion. Even when your irrelevance is pointed out to you. You're so predictable.

Well, at least you didn't disappoint me--as usual, your response has jack-all-sh!t to do with what people were talking about. Nothing new there.

Bubba

The funny thing is Bubba that Red started this by showing his ignorance yet again about DL trips, stating DL pilots had inefficient 4 days, and seemed to infer that that was the "norm", totally disregarding the multitude of other type trips DL offers. He started it, and I ended it.

And it love your "you didn't answer the question" BS.... I easily proved you and Red wrong. With 5000 retirements, many DL pilots will have great schedules, for years....

You want me to stay on topic? Start with Red, and start by acknowledging his total ignorance about DL pilot trips. You're welcome.

Bye Bye---General Lee

The real issue with pay at my legacy and all 3 for that matter is we work far more for far less than decades ago. This issue needs to be fixed. But many don't do their homework and just take the first available offer. More collaboration needs to occur. For example, my friends at Delta and United were surprised I can drop a trip every month for personal reasons. I have done so almost every month. Look at the whole picture and choose wisely. I believe most can go where they want with great effort - prep and career enhancing positions and work (i.e. safety, training jobs). Many choose not to for various reasons and as such we all have different things we must uniquely contend with.

I will agree things are improving rapidly for the better at the big 3 and according to my squadron buds at the other carriers at United, Delta, Southwest, and my experience at a legacy, work rules are critical and should be improved and will be as these new contracts are negotiated. I've had friends tell me they feel as if they're on reserve every time they fly in and out of ATL and receive ACARS extensions quite often on the 88 and 90.

The one big thing to look at when choosing to go to a legacy is retirements because seniority is everything. Also, older pilots tend to work more weekends with grown families. This greatly improves a young pilot's chances of being home for their families. A contract with holiday pay has a similar effect for the young pilots with families. Can you drop trips and pick up another one? Other information is good to know as well. For example, a large amount of training causes buying trips from pilots and they get paid to not work. Retirements cause a lot of training events. Once the trip is bought can you fly another trip over the same footprint and make double pay? Yes I can! This is just one in many examples to research and target your choice job as well as retirements and future fleet plans as best as you can. What percentage of widebodies are there and what is the the minimum time to that position? Can you "create" a 8,9,10 day vacation every month if you'd so desire without working 12 in a row? 12 in a row (regardless of credit) is not my cup of tea. 3 on, 4 off and weekends/holidays off is right up my alley! To each their own of course. This job for many gets very old real fast. Can you go back to the right seat in the same equipment, move to other equipment? Are there contractual seat locks to upgrade?

Talk with and research until you have a clear picture. For example, I had no desire to spend 5-10 years in the right seat of a mad dog working 4-day trips Fri-Mon, in and out of ATL (puke) for Delta. I didn't care for stagnation, the 737 nor many leg trips only commutable on either end of a 4-day trip for Southwest.

Now to the OP point...sorry for the diatribe - some may benefit?

The overall annual compensation will be roughly the same as these contracts are built upon each other for similar aircraft at the big 3 so ensure you choose wisely. Good luck to all hopefuls researching for your final destination because, you will ultimately marry it!

That will be fixed due to several factors. Huge retirements, sustained profitability, consolidation, and new FARs dealing with work and fatigue rules. Legacy pilots have had a tough decade due to BKs and contraction, but as retirements ramp up, upgrade and higher seniority will increase QOL and pay. From today, ten years in the right seat of an MD88 isn't really possible anymore (unless you want to be the top of a Category), there are bids every 6-8 weeks with new Capt positions, and the bulk of the Widebody pilot retirements haven't even started yet. When they do, upward movement will be fast. That means higher pay, better schedules, different types of flying available if you are bored. You just can't get that at a LCC today, yet you will at all 3 legacies. 15,000 pilots will be retiring. That is amazing, and pilots getting on now will do well at all 3.

There may be reserves in ATL on the 88/90 getting reroutes enroute today. With 85 new hires each month through next April and then 50 a month indefinitely after that, doubt anyone will be on reserve for long.... And the big retirements haven't even really started yet.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
The funny thing is Bubba that Red started this by showing his ignorance yet again about DL trips, stating DL pilots had inefficient 4 days, and seemed to infer that that was the "norm", totally disregarding the multitude of other type trips DL offers. He started it, and I ended it.

And it love your "you didn't answer the question" BS.... I easily proved you and Red wrong. With 5000 retirements, many DL pilots will have great schedules, for years....

You want me to stay on topic? Start with Red, and start by acknowledging his total ignorance about DL pilot trips. You're welcome.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Actually, Red was talking with Zman about how to make money at Southwest with rigs and minimum pay protections. Rigs and protections that apply to every single pilot on property. It wasn't really to do with Delta trips, until you chimed in, because you couldn't stand for anything good to be associated with Southwest.

And again, what's the minimum your junior guys can get paid? What small percentage can get those choice trips that you mentioned? And I mean today, not in 10 to 15 years from now? Or even more than that, since NWAF16Dude mentioned that your junior 777 and 747 captains have nearly 30 years in.

Dude, you're a broken record: someone could ask you for the friggin' time of day, and all you'd reply is how much variety you have at Delta, and how that's fantastic!

Bubba

Last edited:
That will be fixed due to several factors. Huge retirements, sustained profitability, consolidation, and new FARs dealing with work and fatigue rules. Legacy pilots have had a tough decade due to BKs and contraction, but as retirements ramp up, upgrade and higher seniority will increase QOL and pay. From today, ten years in the right seat of an MD88 isn't really possible anymore (unless you want to be the top of a Category), there are bids every 6-8 weeks with new Capt positions, and the bulk of the Widebody pilot retirements haven't even started yet. When they do, upward movement will be fast. That means higher pay, better schedules, different types of flying available if you are bored. You just can't get that at a LCC today, yet you will at all 3 legacies. 15,000 pilots will be retiring. That is amazing, and pilots getting on now will do well at all 3.

There may be reserves in ATL on the 88/90 getting reroutes enroute today. With 85 new hires each month through next April and then 50 a month indefinitely after that, doubt anyone will be on reserve for long.... And the big retirements haven't even really started yet.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Yes...all true! I have 3 friends I have helped leave their LCC. They were surprised when I informed them of several facts. It should be common knowledge! All contracts should be "cliff-noted" and easily attainable for the hopeful. Looking forward to more pay for less days and variety! It is, of my opinion, a great time for us at the big 3. We need to collaborate and build with each new contract better QOL and total compensation. I think this is a certainty that we will do. The time is now.

Here are just one example that I found without even looking hard...

ATL MD88 (Sept)

Pairing #6097

Day One: ATL-DCA-ATL-CLT (1:16 ground time in ATL)
Day Two: CLT-DTW-BWI-ATL-GSO (ground time of 1.06,1:51,1.00)
Day Three: GSO-ATL-PVD (ground time 2.02)
Day Four: PVD-ATL-MLB-ATL ( 3 hours of ground time in ATL)

So the trip is 3 legs, 4 legs, 2 legs, 3 legs and pays....

Wait for it...

21.4 - Does that sound very efficient? SW rig would pay min 26.

How about a three day that pays 16? There's plenty if that's your gig.

Last edited:
That's what a 2 and 3 hour sit do for your overall pay, but on the bright side there's plenty of time to perfect your double breasted terminal walk for the ladies. Don't for the hat, of course.

Here are just one example that I found without even looking hard...

ATL MD88 (Sept)

Pairing #6097

Day One: ATL-DCA-ATL-CLT (1:16 ground time in ATL)
Day Two: CLT-DTW-BWI-ATL-GSO (ground time of 1.06,1:51,1.00)
Day Three: GSO-ATL-PVD (ground time 2.02)
Day Four: PVD-ATL-MLB-ATL ( 3 hours of ground time in ATL)

So the trip is 3 legs, 4 legs, 2 legs, 3 legs and pays....

Wait for it...

21.4 - Does that sound very efficient? SW rig would pay min 26.

How about a three day that pays 16? There's plenty if that's your gig.

Ground times for Delta pilots, as I've been told from my Delta buds, are to ensure schedule preserverence. The weather can be somewhat challenging several months a year. This does need to change. However, I do agree the min pay per day needs to greatly improve. Any United bubbas have similar credit trips? Just for the sake of the hopeful newbs researching?

Dude, you're a broken record

"Dude," so are SWA pilots!

"Your retirement sucks."
"Yeah, but did you see my W2?"

"Your reserve work rules are nonexistent."
"Yeah, but look again at my W2!"

"Your trips aren't commutable."
"Seriously, dude, look at my W2!!!!"

:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back