Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta notifying some PRPs their service is no longer needed..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dtfl

So....this is a surprise to me....anyone on property have any info?

Flight Operations has commenced sending letters to some PRP's
informing them their services are no longer operationally necessary and that
they are being terminated. In accordance with Letter of Agreement #45, Section 8, a Post Retirement Pilot's (PRP) employment may be terminated with two weeks written notice. Any PRP who is notified of a scheduled termination date per Side letter 45, should not accept any assignment to fly past that scheduled termination date.***** For scheduling purposes only, such a pilot should be treated as if the date of his termination was his 60th birthday.***** In other words, "RET" would show on the balance of that pilot's schedule in the DBMS system after that date.

If***** a PRP pilot were to find himself in the position of being on a rotation
after his scheduled termination date as a PRP, it is unclear as to what the
company's position or obligation would be with respect to pay, benefits,
insurance, etc.***** The safe answer is not to allow yourself to be scheduled beyond
that date.

dtfl said:
So....this is a surprise to me....anyone on property have any info?

Flight Operations has commenced sending letters to some PRP's
informing them their services are no longer operationally necessary and that
they are being terminated. In accordance with Letter of Agreement #45, Section 8, a Post Retirement Pilot's (PRP) employment may be terminated with two weeks written notice. Any PRP who is notified of a scheduled termination date per Side letter 45, should not accept any assignment to fly past that scheduled termination date.***** For scheduling purposes only, such a pilot should be treated as if the date of his termination was his 60th birthday.***** In other words, "RET" would show on the balance of that pilot's schedule in the DBMS system after that date.

If***** a PRP pilot were to find himself in the position of being on a rotation
after his scheduled termination date as a PRP, it is unclear as to what the
company's position or obligation would be with respect to pay, benefits,
insurance, etc.***** The safe answer is not to allow yourself to be scheduled beyond
that date.

Looks like it is the end of the line for the favored few who lined their pockets with the last few available dollars from Delta (at the expense of the juniors). Good riddance.

PRP's come and go every month....

At the beginning of the month, some categories don't meet the formula that allow PRP's thus they are let go. Other categories get even more PRP's and thus more PRP's are hired.

Now that the early retirement gravey train is over, I would expect PRP's to be let go every month as training catches up with the retirements.

FlyingSig said:
PRP's come and go every month....

At the beginning of the month, some categories don't meet the formula that allow PRP's thus they are let go. Other categories get even more PRP's and thus more PRP's are hired.

Now that the early retirement gravey train is over, I would expect PRP's to be let go every month as training catches up with the retirements.

You speak of the early retirement gravy train as if it was a designated program set up to let only the fortunate few, i.e., senior pilots only need apply. In fact many relatively junior pilots decided to vote with their feet and look elsewhere for their future. The fact was that if you were age 50 and had x number of years of service you could pull the cord and leave. What would have had these pilots do, stick around and watch their retirements go out the door? Better yet, what you have done in similar circumstances. I personally know a number of pilots in their 40’s who pulled the handle and left for greener pastures. A hard decision, you bet, but I just don’t think you can castigate the whole group. As for the guys who stayed back after retirement to support the continued operation, I am sure it’s nice to have them out of the picture and none to soon, but again at the time it was a workable solution to a huge problem. Hopefully it will never happen again.

This is a crappy deal for both those pilots remaining and those who are out of the operation. No need to further divide the group as it only serves to bolden the Delta management.

Post Retirement Pilot. Due to "training shortfalls" in the company - Delta elected to allow 76 and 77 Capts to return after retiring to work as "contract" pilots. Their reasoning was - either we get them to help out or we park the planes since we can't train pilots fast enough due to retirements.
These guys got their lump and are getting retirement and are working also. They are on the bottom of the Capt seniority list and there is a letter of agreement (we'll see how long that holds in CH 11) saying no pilot can be furloughed while a PRP is on property. Also - this "program" is slated to end on Dec 31, 2005.
BUT..we have furloughed pilots on the street...myself included. And I am wondering if they are terminating some due to the lack of need or due to some other trick up the companies sleeve. I know FLying SIg said that this happens regularly...but if it did I wouldn't think DALPA would make it a point to email this letter to us.
So there is your 411....thought I'd reply before people start slinging mud.

Just curious

dtfl said:
Post Retirement Pilot. Due to "training shortfalls" in the company - Delta elected to allow 76 and 77 Capts to return after retiring to work as "contract" pilots. Their reasoning was - either we get them to help out or we park the planes since we can't train pilots fast enough due to retirements.
These guys got their lump and are getting retirement and are working also. They are on the bottom of the Capt seniority list and there is a letter of agreement (we'll see how long that holds in CH 11) saying no pilot can be furloughed while a PRP is on property. Also - this "program" is slated to end on Dec 31, 2005.
BUT..we have furloughed pilots on the street...myself included. And I am wondering if they are terminating some due to the lack of need or due to some other trick up the companies sleeve. I know FLying SIg said that this happens regularly...but if it did I wouldn't think DALPA would make it a point to email this letter to us.
So there is your 411....thought I'd reply before people start slinging mud.

Okay your furloughed. Seeing the numbers that DAL is proposing for pay in light of BK, why do you even want to return? Anyone with enough smarts to have gotten hired at DAL in the first place could certainly found something better and more profitable while on furlough??? Wasting another five years of your life at DAL could not possibly prepare you for life after age 60. Forgive me, as the DAL you aspired to is gone forever. Get over it and do something else in aviation or whatever.

If he wants to come back, then he should come back. Yes, the contract will stink and life will be harder, but so will life at almost every other carrier. He is entitled to his recall.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back