Delta-Northwest merger will pick up steam soon

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sedona16

Is there such a thing as a merger going too slowly?

This week, the Travel Diva wonders about the glacial pace of the Delta takeover of Northwest Airlines, which they m-u-s-t ... c-o-m-p-l-e-t-e ... b-y ... zzzzzzzz ...
Wake up, says Betsy Talsin, spokeswoman for Delta Airlines. Announced in April 2008, the merger isn't actually moving in slo-mo. It just has its own legal pace. And look for the biggest changes coming up in December and January.
QUESTION: Airport signs and uniforms have been changed to Delta. Food and fees have been coordinated. But travelers' tickets still say Northwest. When will this merger be finished, anyway?
ANSWER: Actually, we are moving quickly, more quickly than we originally planned. Airlines operate under certificates. By the end of the year we should have a single operating certificate. Until that time, flight operations continue as if they were pre-merger.
Q: If you get the single operating certificate by year's end, when will there be a single reservations system? Right now the Delta and Northwest computers can't talk to each other, even at the airport.
A: We expect to have combined reservations systems by January or February.
Q: Right now, travelers can still buy a Northwest ticket well into next year. What happens when the Northwest brand goes away, say, in February, and all the flights suddenly become Delta?
A: We are trying to make the process seamless for customers. Most flights will stay the same. You mostly likely will be able to use the same reservations.
Q: We know the Northwest WorldPerks frequent flier program will vanish, with all our miles being transferred to Delta SkyMiles. When will it actually happen?
A: December.
Q: Have all the airports been rebranded to Delta? That seems to have happened quickly, in some cases confusing customers who show up for Northwest flights.
A: We've completed the rebranding of more than 200 airports, more than 80% of the total stations. All U.S. airports will be in the Delta brand by the end of the year.
Q: How many planes have been painted Delta colors? Delta executives said in July that 90% of all Northwest planes and half of contract regional carriers will have been painted by December.
A: We've painted 120 in Delta livery (colors).
Contact ELLEN CREAGER: 313-222-6498 or [email protected]

Did you not read about them cutting management and likely front line employees?....I really don't call that picking up steam.

Did you not read about them cutting management and likely front line employees?....I really don't call that picking up steam.

Did you read about them cutting more than 100 rj's out of the system?
I'd call that picking up steam!

Yep-screw everyone. Every employee, investor, and contractor you can find. Pissing people off is sure to give you the most possible "synergy."

-Just wait, Gen-it is coming. First SWA will roll on in, then you will start seeing more and more ALGT planes full of all the passengers your gifted leaders have pissed off... You had better pray every night to whatever you worship that ALGT doesn't get a foothold in your backyard-you will definitely not want to "compete" with any airline so clearly capable of kicking every last ounce of living dog snot out of you.

-7.5 CASM, chief.....You don't want that-anywhere, anyhow.

Yep-screw everyone. Every employee, investor, and contractor you can find. Pissing people off is sure to give you the most possible "synergy."

-Just wait, Gen-it is coming. First SWA will roll on in, then you will start seeing more and more ALGT planes full of all the passengers your gifted leaders have pissed off... You had better pray every night to whatever you worship that ALGT doesn't get a foothold in your backyard-you will definitely not want to "compete" with any airline so clearly capable of kicking every last ounce of living dog snot out of you.

-7.5 CASM, chief.....You don't want that-anywhere, anyhow.

And just think, Delta will be cutting more rj's, more than 100.
That means you're out of a job junior.
It's coming, and it will be fun to watch!

Not as fun as ALGT and SWA putting your arrogant butt in a soup line, Gen!

-I'll even show you the way around the fry machine-after you get through shining my shoes! (Seniority has its priviledges-even at "McRonald's!)

Last edited:
Not as fun as ALGT and SWA putting your arrogant butt in a soup line, Gen!

-I'll even show you the way around the fry machine-after you get through shining my shoes!

Trust me in ALGT was a threat to anyone, they would be bought much like Reno Air was.

Delta and Northwest can take their time, look at the America West/UsAir deal!!!! How many years has it been?

RJs replaced during next economic upswing 3,2,1

Trust me in ALGT was a threat to anyone, they would be bought much like Reno Air was.

My...My...My...

You really need to learn to read financial stuff, then go and find theirs. I am not saying they would be the best company to work for, but as far as making money goes-they flat out kick ass!

Latest resources

Back