Delta-Northwest Deal at Risk

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No merger meetings today. Maybe Monday.

No "stapling" talk. Differing ratios or methods...that's all.

It's not an easy process. If it was, it'd be done by now.

No you absolutely right they didn't ask for 3,000. Just that the 400 top positions and 1.2 for 1. So if you do the math then the bottom 2,300 pilots will be all DAL and newhires will have seniority as if they were hired in 1998 (about when they were hired at Mesaba). I give them credit push all in and the worst that happens is your out but if our MEC buys off on this not only will I vote for the recall but I will run for MEC to change things....

No you absolutely right they didn't ask for 3,000. Just that the 400 top positions and 1.2 for 1. So if you do the math then the bottom 2,300 pilots will be all DAL and newhires will have seniority as if they were hired in 1998 (about when they were hired at Mesaba). I give them credit push all in and the worst that happens is your out but if our MEC buys off on this not only will I vote for the recall but I will run for MEC to change things....

LOL, that must be that "new math"...

Nu

Word is "yes".

But...the NWA MEC has basically come out at said that protecting the bottom 1/2 of the list is THE priority, and the DAL team can't understand why we won't sell out half our list, even for a big pile of cash.

There's been lots of clever "ad placement" and "negotiating in the press" by the DAL MEC and their operatives that has acted as political cover for what their real position was.

Despite claims of "cowboys" on the NWA team, the DAL opener was absolute nonsense that would have not only put DAL guys entrenched at the top for years, but would have stapled over 2000 NWA guys to the bottom of list. Needless to say, the NWA guys put one finger on each hand up and told them to go pound grits.

Now that all the dickswinging is over, it's back to business on coming to a real agreement.

Nu

What about Delta's bottom half? You suggest they should be at the bottom of the combined list? Man that's rich. Not only do the NWA guys get a pay raise and better work rules in a merger scenario, but they also get to keep their pensions as well as access to more commutable hubs (in some cases for commuters who live in the South and West). Sounds like they get a great deal - especially since they would also get the top 400 slots. But no - it ain't good enough. Perhaps drivers (Delta pilots) to/from the airport should also be offered.

The Delta guys better hope Lee Moak doesn't become Lee CHOKE. This, if true, is getting ridiculous.

What about Delta's bottom half? You suggest they should be at the bottom of the combined list?

Dude, are we even having the same conversation? Where did I suggest that the junior DAL guys get stapled? Unlike you, apparently, I try to get more accurate information than just what I read in the paper. How many threads on FI have there been about bogus reporting?

Man that's rich. Not only do the NWA guys get a pay raise and better work rules in a merger scenario, but they also get to keep their pensions as well as access to more commutable hubs (in some cases for commuters who live in the South and West).

Is the sky even blue in your world? Sounds like from the deal, that the best parts of BOTH contracts are on the table. I'd certainly prefer NWAs bid guarantee, monthly guarantee, and premium pay system over DALs.

Sure, just about all the NWA guys have some pension frozen, MANY below the PBGC guarantee. But the large majority certainly aren't going to get anything close to a full payout. OTOH, I seem to remember the DAL guys getting paid off for theirs with a very nice settlement (6 figures, was it?).

As for commutable bases, I'm sure a lot of our pilots (and that's a LOT) who live in Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska and the Dakotas would beg to differ on your definition of commutability. I don't see many DAL flights in FSD, MSN, GRR or OMA. Unless you live in New York, I'd call it a push from anything from DC up. Not everyone lives in Florida, the way you make it sound. Plus booking the jumpseat 11 days out (via voice/web) without getting skunked by a checkairman or management weenie on vacation sounds like an improvement for the DAL guys

Believe me, NYC, SLC or ATL really aren't on many people's "gosh, I gotta get me some of that" list.

If a deal happens, NO ONE is going to get stapled. SOMEBODY is going to be at the bottom, and it's going to be a newhire, with some sort of mix in front of him

Get your panties unwound and contact your reps if you want the straight dope.

Nu

Word is neither do you, so sit back, polish your buttons and enjoy the ride until something official is announced.

That's fair enough. Don't take it too personally, we're not alone.

We both have merger committees, how about we let them do their job and not spread unsubstantiated BS as "the word is."

Fair enough?

This will all work out one way or another.

Monday announcement...huh??

Fox news is reporting that Monday is the new target for the merger announcement, provided pilots come to an agreement over the weekend. However, the pilot merger committees are not even meeting during the weekend. How can any announcement come on Monday then?? I guess press is as clueless as we are-as usual....

Here is the link and the report:

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfo...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

"ATLANTA – The announcement to join airline powerhouses Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines was supposed to come in the past week, but an impasse involving the pilots union has halted the deal-making.

People familiar with the talks says the new target remains Monday for a combination announcement, provided the pilot talks make progress over the weekend.

Industry observers recognize that if Delta or Northwest walk away, they still have options. The two airlines could remain independent, seek a quick deal with another carrier, or wait until next year to try again with consolidation.

As of Sunday afternoon, there wasn’t any word on a pilot agreement."

Fox news is reporting that Monday is the new target for the merger announcement, provided pilots come to an agreement over the weekend. However, the pilot merger committees are not even meeting during the weekend. How can any announcement come on Monday then?? I guess press is as clueless as we are-as usual....

Here is the link and the report:

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/myfo...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

"ATLANTA – The announcement to join airline powerhouses Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines was supposed to come in the past week, but an impasse involving the pilots union has halted the deal-making.

People familiar with the talks says the new target remains Monday for a combination announcement, provided the pilot talks make progress over the weekend.

Industry observers recognize that if Delta or Northwest walk away, they still have options. The two airlines could remain independent, seek a quick deal with another carrier, or wait until next year to try again with consolidation.

As of Sunday afternoon, there wasn’t any word on a pilot agreement."

According to the last "Lounge Meeting" Beck reiterated, " if there is no pilot agreement, there is no deal."

We don't need this....neither group needs this. KILL IT NOW!!!

Latest resources

Back