Delta MEC Authorizes Strike Vote

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyComAirJets said:
Sorry to say I wouldn't look to your ALPA brothers or your golden list of 10 airlines that you would consider working for to lift a finger. They are secretly hoping you'll take the plunge. If USAirways didn't tank, maybe DAL will, they hope..

I don't want nor am I asking for any help from any ALPA brothers. Not many airlines on my list are even ALPA airlines.

I do ask their support of our ALPA bretheren and want them to understand the situation. I think everyone should realize that if our contract is totally tanked, every other ALPA contract is a potential target.

Good Luck

This is going to be like watching a slow motion head-on train wreck. No survivors just maimed for life employees and huge collateral damage scattered all over Atlanta and the other major cities that Delta once served. Don’t have any answers for this debacle and can only hope cooler heads prevail on both sides, especially the management side.

Everyone is hanging by each word uttered by the BK judge. I cannot imagine that she would do anything to bolster the pilot’s position when it comes down to the nut cuttin. She will cave to the corporate side of the house simply because she is a Republican appointed judge. Not sure if it would make tinkers damn even if she were a Democrat as she is simply another tool of big business.

Good luck as you’ll really need it this time.

Spooky 1 said:
She will cave to the corporate side of the house simply because she is a Republican appointed judge.

Justice Souter was appointed by a Republican. How has that worked out?

CapnVegetto said:
Will DL's pilot group finally be the one to grow a set and stick it to these greedy managers? I hope so.

They will also be sticking it to the thousands of retired people from Delta who will surely loose their pensions to the PBGC.

TheSulaco said:
I would not support them too much, especially if you are with a regional. If they strike and the company liquidates there will be another 6500 highly qualified pilots on the street to take jobs away from you. The airline industry is already way too over populated with qualified individuals!

The airline industry is way too populated with capacity. We have too many airlines trying to do the same thing, and now Virgin America is filing for permits to operate, Un-F-ing believable!!!! That is all we need right now is another carrier. But that might just give hope to some of the Delta guys who wish to continue to fly, if they do strike, and if it does put the carrier out of business.

TheSulaco said:
They will also be sticking it to the thousands of retired people from Delta who will surely loose their pensions to the PBGC.

TheSulaco,

You're an idiot. You obviously have no idea what it means to be airline pilot and if you are indeed at the regionals you will survive at the majors with your attitude. What DAL pilots are doing is more than saving their profession and their jobs, they are fighting an evil undercurrent in this country where only CEOs, Politicians and Lawyers call the shots and the rest of us peasants have to take it. The pilots are offering $150 mil on top of the $1 bil they already gave last year and the company refuses to budge? How is that negotiating? The company's own logic says that DAL must have $150 mil in paycuts from the pilots (300 the company is asking for minus the 150 the pilots have offered) or it will liquidate. Come on, that's moronic. A company that large ain't gonna' fail because of $150 million. Labor (and I don't mean just organized labor) is being assulted in this country while the elite steal millions from corporations, customers and employees... all while the press and politicians look the other way. DAL and AQ are thus far the only two labor groups in the country to finally start the revolt against the robber baronso fht enew millenium (mgmt). And you say you won't support them? You're either misinformed, stupid or have lofty ambitions to become an airline executive. Regardless of your cowardly comments, the DAL pilots don't need your support! They don't even need my support. They merely need the support of each other. That, genius-boy, is called UNITY. Something you obviously know nothing about.

And guess what, DAL pilots already lost their pension payments. Which is why 2500 pilots took an early retirement, took their lump sum and hoped the company will continue to pay their pension. Well, that was lost last month but they still got their lump when they all bailed this past year. So while we all feel they should get their pension payments, at least they cashed out their lump... and since so many cashed out at once there wasn't enough money left to go on paying everyone, it's a vicious cycle which was precipitated by DAL mgmt not funding the pension over the years. Why was it not funded? Because mgmt thought it was more important to make themselves look good by increasing earnings. How did they increase earnings? Artificially. You see, they bought back $2.4 billion of stock thereby reducing the amount of ouotstanding shares. When earnings came out during the good times, those earning were then divided by less shares, hence the increase in earnings. That's called cheating. Earnings never actually went up, management used $2.4 billion to buy the earnings increase by reducing the dilluted shares of stock. Mgmt should have been paying down debt including funding the obligitory pension. Those guys ought to go to jail fo rsuch wercklessness. They have ruined lives. But you know what? It was all legal because SEC and the congress say so. And the press is too ignorant to figure this out. Meanwhile DAL pilots have to be told to take even more of a hit so mgmt can survive yet another day just so they can to the same thing again (cook the books).

Pathetic!!

NW pilots, take note of DAL's actions! Step up to the plate and fight for the profession.

FlyComAirJets said:
DAL management needs to truly appreciate that the pilots have their fingers on the mutual self destruct button, too. If they keep poking you guys in the eye, they may be in for a rude awakening.

Sorry to say I wouldn't look to your ALPA brothers or your golden list of 10 airlines that you would consider working for to lift a finger. They are secretly hoping you'll take the plunge. If USAirways didn't tank, maybe DAL will, they hope.

I would recommend you vote for your best interest and your's alone. Best of luck.

Why is it all the negative comments come from guys who never got hired with the majors? Guys, it's not the pilots fault you didn't get hired. Wake up!!! Pilots have never been in charge of hiring at any airline in this country. It's management that is in charge of hiring. Don't fault the pilots simply because they worked hard to get to where they are. If you tried to get on with a major and weren't hired, your beef should be with mgmt. I am saying this based on all the comments I am reading on here from "non-major" guys. Saying things like they won't support the DAL strike or our union bros won't help them. On the contrary. If mgmt ever allowed us to take over hiring, beleive me, every DAL pilot would get hired out of unity. But ALPA doesn't have any say in hiring at any airline.

Grow up

Funny how the Delta boys want the support of their fellow peers. I've got lots of buddies at Delta and I wish them the best; but with that being said, they really shouldn't be turning down their fellow ALPA members for the jumpseat. Some but not all of the old "Deltoids" need to get their a$$holes ripped a new one.

Yeah...fight for the profession and go on strike; see how many scabs will cross when the time comes. I hate to say it but we are only worth what the market will bear in a free market economy.

If I have to, I will vote YES also. This is ridiculous. I don't mind another pay cut, but NO WAY to a contract gutting. Nah, I'll start up my own Chip-n-dales franchise, or I'll apply to jetblue/Air Tran/ or Comair----if they(Comair) are still around..........I know I have friends at each of those.....? Right?

Bye Bye--General Lee

:uzi:Good Luck guys! I support you 100%!! It is time to stop this B S that mgmnt has been laying out! Hopefully we will do the same at ASA and really give it to them....right in the JUNK!!

Latest resources

Back