• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta MEC Authorizes Strike Vote

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From a casual observer/Flyer/ranter....thank you, thank you!!

You Go/Walk Tall/ - you have all my support!! Bring them to their knees. And for all you who have been wise with your money - I hope you consolidate & buy Delta back and run it proud. Someone should take the former management to court for running a good company into the ground.

I saw on another forum a - "How much should a pilot make?" Couldn't help thinking - what you negotiate!! Why don't you ask that of the upper echelon? They sure know how to negotiate their own personal compensation contracts.

We all should have unions. I'm not saying that we all need to make the big money (or outrageous money ie: CEOs, etc.) but unfortunately the American Worker and public is getting raked over coals for bad decisions made by managment and the puppet gov't.

We really don't have to be in this state of affairs.

This is the corporate greed mentality we're all up against:

Full Story: http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/delta/1205/06bizburns.html

Excerpt:

"Ex-Delta exec fights to keep free flights

By RUSSELL GRANTHAM , MATT KEMPNER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 12/06/05

M. Michele Burns, the Atlanta executive who landed deals allowing her to parachute from Delta Air Lines and Mirant Corp. with millions of dollars, is fighting to keep her loftiest perk: free flights for life aboard Delta.
The airline, which is struggling to stay airborne while in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, wants to cut off first-class flight privileges for its former financial chief and her family.

TA Delta spokesman said M. Michele Burns was the only former executive challenging the decision to cut off flight perks.

In court papers filed last week, Burns argued that Delta can't cancel the flight privileges — awarded to her when she left the airline in April 2004 — under federal bankruptcy code. She also said the carrier would lose more than it gained from the move. Delta will "incur few or no actual costs or expenses ... because there generally are empty seats on the debtor's aircraft," Burns said in the filing with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New York.
Burns is no stranger to flaps over executive pay and perks.
In 2002, while at Delta, she helped the airline during its creation of controversial bankruptcy-proof pension trusts for about three dozen executives. That provided her with at least $1 million in a personal pension trust beyond the reach of creditors.

Around the same time, Burns also was among a long list of Delta executives who were paid hefty bonuses while the airline was losing money, cutting jobs and appealing for federal aid. That year, she was awarded a bonus of $846,000, on top of her $560,000 salary.

Despite those incentives, Burns and other Delta executives left the company in droves. Her next stop was Mirant, the bankrupt energy trader, where she became chief financial officer.

Now she's finishing a 20-month stint with Mirant, flush with at least $8.2 million in severance pay, bonuses and other payments from the company as it emerges from its own Chapter 11 case."

i'mbatman said:
Are you kidding?? Not one of these guys will vote for a strike to then come start at a regional again. If they vote to strike my guess is that the majority are getting out and getting into new fields.

You are correct.

Dizel8 said:
I doubt many have the stomach for starting over at the regionals or worse yet, Homedepot.

If we strike and Delta shuts down, so be it. No offense, but I won't start over at a regional. There is a list of maybe 10 airlines I would consider. Other than that I have already started lining up a career in non-flying fields.

Growing up I either wanted to be a pilot or a policeman. Since I am not too old yet, I just might pursue that option.

PS I will vote yes for a strike.

Will DL's pilot group finally be the one to grow a set and stick it to these greedy managers? I hope so.

CapnVegetto said:
Will DL's pilot group finally be the one to grow a set and stick it to these greedy managers? I hope so.

Don't know...Will you if and when it's your turn in the hopper?

PHXFLYR:cool:

It takes time

601Pilot said:
What is the deal with having to do it over 15 days? Why not make it 3, 5, or 7 days?
If an international pilot leaves on a 12 day trip the day they decide to announce the vote, it may be that long before he finds out about the vote. Now he has 2 or 3 days to get to a phone or computer to cast a vote.

Last edited:
You tell 'em, Mike.

michael707767 said:
If we strike and Delta shuts down, so be it. No offense, but I won't start over at a regional. There is a list of maybe 10 airlines I would consider. Other than that I have already started lining up a career in non-flying fields.

Growing up I either wanted to be a pilot or a policeman. Since I am not too old yet, I just might pursue that option.

PS I will vote yes for a strike.

DAL management needs to truly appreciate that the pilots have their fingers on the mutual self destruct button, too. If they keep poking you guys in the eye, they may be in for a rude awakening.

Sorry to say I wouldn't look to your ALPA brothers or your golden list of 10 airlines that you would consider working for to lift a finger. They are secretly hoping you'll take the plunge. If USAirways didn't tank, maybe DAL will, they hope.

I would recommend you vote for your best interest and your's alone. Best of luck.

Delta pilots will not strike. To many "I am worthy" pilots there. They will cave and screw the junior people. Sit and watch.

I think the Delta pilots have a beef with management. How much have the other groups given up? These pilots already conceded something like a billion dollars to avoid bankruptcy, and now that their leaders have taken them into bankruptcy, why shouldn't they be dissastisfied?

Latest resources

Back