• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta MD88 ground evac today in ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As per another forum- here is Peanuckle's synopsis of already second hand internet information:

It was a tailpipe fire after the second engine start with no indication in the cockpit. ARFF was very slow in getting out and seemed to not even be sure what they were looking for.

The fire went away for a moment, flared back up- a EV CRJ directly behind was giving a good play by play to the crew over the freq.

By the time ARFF finally made it to the aircraft... the doors were popping for the evac.

Really? Very few reasons necessitate an evacuation where you increase the risk of passenger and crew injury. Not sure why they couldn't just blow the bottles or shut the engine down and have ARFF inspect. We'll see what the investigation reveals but I'll bet that the crew got anxious and called for an evacuation prematurely.

I don't know many - if any - crews that would ground evac without a damn good reason. The confusion alone of a ground evac can make it a disaster. I once had an APU fire on taxi that did not extinguish after shutting down the APU AND firing the fire bottle. Another crew was very helpful in stating that smoke continued to billow from the APU area about 30 seconds after the bottle was fired (not visible aboard the aircraft and ARFF was not there yet). I elected to ground egress because there was no certain way to know if it was or was not on fire (on board indications said no). In the end, an oil line had ruptured and was spraying oil on a hot APU causing the thick white smoke. ARFF had it snuffed out about 45 seconds after they arrived. Either way, I'd rather be conservative and see someone turn an ankle or a wrist vice having someone burn up because I was being overly optimistic. It's really easy to second guess here on FI, but you weren't there, you don't have the facts, and you don't know the indications they had which caused them to make the decision they did.

Well said. The way I see it is the aircraft is on the ground, better evac and be safe when it comes to a fire. You can replace the aircraft but you can't replace the lives that could be lost. Good case in point Saudi Flight 163, captain ordered the crew not to evacuate, a lot of lives lost on that poor decision.

Only thing they've done to tick me off is to roll over and take it in the can on pay concessions.

Exactly! Whenever anyone else gets it in the can you get jealous! Here's
to you taking it in the can for the rest of your miserable career tanker clown/crj567!:beer:

I want a good paying job when I leave the military.

So what exactly defines "good paying job" for someone who copies faxes and serves superior officers coffee all day long?

Delta seems to be one of the leaders to the bottom.

You obviously haven't looked at US Air's or United's payscales then have you? Of course being so close to the bottom yourself, you'd know alot about that!

That's why I'm not sure why any Delta guy would give an RJ guy a hard time. Both are willing to work for nothing.
And how are those $5 BJ's you're giving out at the airport working out for you?

Really? Very few reasons necessitate an evacuation where you increase the risk of passenger and crew injury. Not sure why they couldn't just blow the bottles or shut the engine down and have ARFF inspect. We'll see what the investigation reveals but I'll bet that the crew got anxious and called for an evacuation prematurely.

Baseless.....

You need to review PIC authority and eat some humble pie. There are dozens of reasons why the crew aired in they direction they did.

This type of conclusive thinking is ridiculous. A weak decision maker you must be.

Kudos to the crew!

Latest resources

Back