Delta may shrink

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He's a General too? Fantastic.

And JMoney, I wasn't making fun of "little" 737s. Some of them are quite large, like the 739. BTW, the 737 is a lot larger than your RJ. Have fun in Valdosta and Flint. Those must be fun for you. Thank Gawd I don't have to go there, along with LBB.

Bye Bye--General Lee

What good is being in a cool city if you just sit in front of your computer for enough time to write 11,000 really long posts about airplanes? Enjoy wasting your life, loser.

I'll have fun dropping my RJ into cities like Tallahassee, South Bend, State College, and Austin having copious amounts of no-strings-attached sex with an endless supply of beautiful coeds while you keep banging away at your keyboard wasting whats left of your life. Is the inside of a hotel room in Paris any different then it is in the States?

Slam, click, start typing while the world goes on around you. That's a sad existence you have there, little guy. Sad indeed.

DAL will shrink, we will be competing with ourselves with so many hubs so close together. It does not mean that they will close bases, we will just have a major realignment of our aircraft gauge and frequency. (Glen is the guy to do it, if there is really anyone that could make this one work)

I see there being a shift to DC-9's on some large RJ routes (ATL-MKE) and those 900's going to other cities.(SLC-PHX or SLC-AUS) Where we will see the airframes taken out of the mix is in the 50 seat arena.
We will buy more 76 seaters and probably no more mainline jets. These 900 are a good fit for the next five to ten years. Why do you think that DAL balked at the E-195. They wanted 10 year leases and could not get them for the price that they wanted. Therefore all of that flying will be performed by Compass, SKW, and Shuttle America. They (DAL) are divesting their financial exposure and obtain 10 year leases or the 170-175 and CRJ 900.
All of this is a temporary fix for the E version of the 737 and the C series with the GTF. When these arrive you will see the regional industry flipped on it back. Until then regionals will grow and mainline will stagnate or shrink. It stinks but I do not see any union giving up what they need to give up to have these jets come back to main line.

On a side note DAL may order 60 or so 737, but they will be getting very good terms on them and only for the 10 years until the E-737 arrives. This has been discussed, but no formal announcement as been made yet.

It stinks but I do not see any union giving up what they need to give up to have these jets come back to main line.

Could you please explain to me why any union, including yours, NEEDS to give up anything in negotiations to get something?

Your line of thinking is why the pilots lose, and guys like me win, EVERY TIME.

Many will disagree but I don't see any furloughs of pilots at either NWA or Delta.

Reasoning:

1) The DC-9: Currently NWA has only 850 DC-9 pilots. This aircraft is still at least 1.5 to 2 years away from being retired. And this is if an announcement came at the end of the summer to rid the airline completely of DC-9s. Most likely the "9" will be around a bit longer.

2) Monthly maximums: Fuzzy math here but, NWA monthly maximums are much higher than Delta. At NWA, most all pilots are flying over 80 hours, probably close to 85. Delta is much lower near 78. The Delta guys could shed more light on their monthly maximums.

3) Staffing the B787. Currently the B747-400 staffing is around 28 pilots/aircraft. Similar flying equals similar staffing. 18 B787s x 28 pilots = 504 pilots. This goes a long way in nullifying even an aggressive retirement of the DC-9.

4) Retirements. They continue at NWA. Many in their late 50's will elect to retire after receiving equity via a merger signing and most all will retire at 60. With a preserved pension, only a small percentage of NWA pilots are sticking around.

5) The AX Men. Meaning Steenland and crew, who are leaving. In most cases their solutions to solve revenue problems involved aggressive furloughs. Of course, all of the legacies have furloughed at one time but not "Steenland style." Over two hundred at NWA were furloughed twice after 9/11 only to leave the airline short staffed and canceling hundreds of flights daily.

That sounds wonderful, the question is how much is a barrel of oil going to cost for the next 12 months. It it remains above 100$ this fall, there will be furloughs. The fact of the matter is there is no way we can pass the cost of 126$ a barrel of oil to the consumer. Demand will decrease 10-15% and the result is supply will decrease 12-16% to keep the prices high.

However, the price of oil goes down to +-80$ a barrel, yes DAL will be a wonderful place to be.

You are such a freaking retard. Your company averages a loss of $2.2 Billion a month...and you still think your sh!t doesn't stink because you don't go to LBB? You'll be wishing you had a LBB overnight when you guys liquidate.

Oh, boy!
Tanker, do you need a vacation?
A girlfriend?
Need to loose a few pounds before you feel better about yourself?
No airline would hire you? I wonder why..

Why don't you take care of you basic needs before posting here and spreading your misery?

Could you please explain to me why any union, including yours, NEEDS to give up anything in negotiations to get something?

Your line of thinking is why the pilots lose, and guys like me win, EVERY TIME.

This is just par for the course. Delta can't control the price of oil. We all know that the execs won't take pay cuts. They are just coming back to the well that keeps on giving. Delta pilots are very weak, so it will be easy for them to get another round of concessions.

This is just par for the course. Delta can't control the price of oil. We all know that the execs won't take pay cuts. They are just coming back to the well that keeps on giving. Delta pilots are very weak, so it will be easy for them to get another round of concessions.

Hey Tanker Clown,

Don't forget to refill the copier with paper on your way out today. Try to avoid paper cuts.

FBN,

I disagree. All NWA has to do is fly them to Goodyear, set the parking brake and walk away. The sad part of the whole deal is, without SLI, its the NWA guys who are going to get furloughed.

The DAL MEC was intelligent enough to get a no furlough clause in the LOA 19.

Everytime a redtail airplane gets parked, redtail pilots will be on the street. And they'll come back at the BOTTOM of the eventual SLI.

Too bad NWALPA didn't learn anything from AAA's error of insisting on DoH.

Latest resources

Back