• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta may shrink

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think Delta gave you 6.7 BILLION reasons in the first three months of '08 why you might actually want to look into other employment opportunities including serving your country.

I think Delta gave you 6.7 BILLION reasons in the first three months of '08 why you might actually want to look into other employment opportunities including serving your country.

Looks like serving your country requires no experience, very little intelligence, and good coffee serving techniques. I'd say after almost 20 years and 1750 hours, you've perfected it, congrats!:laugh:
Now quick, sign out and sign back in as jhomo before you lose momentum......

Ok general.

He's a General too? Fantastic.

And JMoney, I wasn't making fun of "little" 737s. Some of them are quite large, like the 739. BTW, the 737 is a lot larger than your RJ. Have fun in Valdosta and Flint. Those must be fun for you. Thank Gawd I don't have to go there, along with LBB.

Bye Bye--General Lee

He's a General too? Fantastic.

And JMoney, I wasn't making fun of "little" 737s. Some of them are quite large, like the 739. BTW, the 737 is a lot larger than your RJ. Have fun in Valdosta and Flint. Those must be fun for you. Thank Gawd I don't have to go there, along with LBB.

Bye Bye--General Lee

You are such a freaking retard. Your company averages a loss of $2.2 Billion a month...and you still think your sh!t doesn't stink because you don't go to LBB? You'll be wishing you had a LBB overnight when you guys liquidate.

Two things....A. Northwest may operate as a standalone airline for a full year after the deal wraps up, he said. IF this is true, each airline will being doing hiring or furloughing to its own kind - so if nines get parked NWA guys go and if it is 88s DAL guys hit the street. As much as it sucks either way - that seems semi-fair.B. Tanker clown... u r an idoit.That is all...

Send in the clowns

Please do not respond to TC's posts anymore. He has to be a phony. Want proof?

A. You have to be an officer to be a pilot in the AF.

B. You have to be a college graduate to be an officer in the AF.

C. TC has the maturity, spelling, and grammar of, at best, a 4th grader.

My apologies to any 4th graders I may have offended.

Many will disagree but I don't see any furloughs of pilots at either NWA or Delta.

Reasoning:

1) The DC-9: Currently NWA has only 850 DC-9 pilots. This aircraft is still at least 1.5 to 2 years away from being retired. And this is if an announcement came at the end of the summer to rid the airline completely of DC-9s. Most likely the "9" will be around a bit longer.

2) Monthly maximums: Fuzzy math here but, NWA monthly maximums are much higher than Delta. At NWA, most all pilots are flying over 80 hours, probably close to 85. Delta is much lower near 78. The Delta guys could shed more light on their monthly maximums.

3) Staffing the B787. Currently the B747-400 staffing is around 28 pilots/aircraft. Similar flying equals similar staffing. 18 B787s x 28 pilots = 504 pilots. This goes a long way in nullifying even an aggressive retirement of the DC-9.

4) Retirements. They continue at NWA. Many in their late 50's will elect to retire after receiving equity via a merger signing and most all will retire at 60. With a preserved pension, only a small percentage of NWA pilots are sticking around.

5) The AX Men. Meaning Steenland and crew, who are leaving. In most cases their solutions to solve revenue problems involved aggressive furloughs. Of course, all of the legacies have furloughed at one time but not "Steenland style." Over two hundred at NWA were furloughed twice after 9/11 only to leave the airline short staffed and canceling hundreds of flights daily.

Last edited:
Many will disagree but I don't see any furloughs of pilots at either NWA or Delta.

Reasoning:

1) The DC-9: Currently NWA has only 850 DC-9 pilots. This aircraft is still at least 1.5 to 2 years away from being retired. And this is if an announcement came at the end of the summer to rid the airline completely of DC-9s. Most likely the "9" will be around a bit longer.

2) Monthly maximums: Fuzzy math here but, NWA monthly maximums are much higher than Delta. At NWA, most all pilots are flying over 80 hours, probably close to 85. Delta is much lower near 78. The Delta guys could shed more light on their monthly maximums.

3) Staffing the B787. Currently the B747-400 staffing is around 28 pilots/aircraft. Similar flying equals similar staffing. 18 B787s x 28 pilots = 504 pilots. This goes a long way in nullifying even an aggressive retirement of the DC-9.

4) Retirements. They continue at NWA. Many in their late 50's will elect to retire after receiving equity via a merger signing and most all will retire at 60. With a preserved pension, only a small percentage of NWA pilots are sticking around.

5) The AX Men. Meaning Steenland and crew, who are leaving. In most cases their solutions to solve revenue problems involved aggressive furloughs. Of course, all of the legacies have furloughed at one time but not "Steenland style." Over two hundred at NWA were furloughed twice after 9/11 only to leave the airline short staffed and canceling hundreds of flights daily.

Hopefully that is true. It is tougher to park leased planes (MD88s) since you still have to pay for the leases regardless (unless you go BK again). Also, we will be getting new airplanes on FIRM orders, with 6 737-700s coming this Summer, and 6 777LRs (each 777 is staffed at 19 crews). Fingers crossed!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back