Delta "likely" to scrap Pilot Pension Plan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ualdriver,

Unless you have been furloughed yourself, either at United or another airline, I'd drop it and keep quite. Look up "screw job" in Websters and it says "see also furlough." I don't think you've ever been fuloughed, or you wouldn't be arguing this.

Ualdriver is entitled to his opinion.
We all lost our pensions; active, retired, furloughed. But I fail to understand how the loss of my pension is worth zero (the PLSA withdrawal of less than $2500 was only available to me due to being furloughed ... money that many of us furloughees needed to pay bills), the loss of active pilots' pensions is worth around $50K to several hundred K, and the loss of the retirees' pensions is worth zero.
I don't see how the active pilots' pension losses were that much more than the other two groups. If they make the argument for past earnings, they shouldn't have cut out the retirees. If they make the case for future earnings, they shouldn't have cut out the furloughees. They shouldn't have cut out anyone, but only those that had a vote got a piece of the settlement.

Did I mention that, as a nonprobationary pilot, I was protected by a no furlough clause?

skykid said:
ualdriver,

Unless you have been furloughed yourself, either at United or another airline, I'd drop it and keep quite. Look up "screw job" in Websters and it says "see also furlough." I don't think you've ever been fuloughed, or you wouldn't be arguing this.

Actually, I have been furloughed from an airline before, but only for a very short period of time. The ONLY reason I'm "keeping quiet" concerning this issue is because of the emotion involved concerning the furloughees and the retirees. I realize that if I even tried to debate the facts of this whole issue I'd be ruthlessly attacked whether I was right or wrong. I'll end my participation on this particular thread with the knowledge that plenty of people "got screwed" through the bankruptcy process and that the guys who got to keep their jobs were probably the least screwed of the three furloughees/current employees/retirees group.

Last edited:
and that the guys who got to keep their jobs were probably the least screwed of the three furloughees/current employees/retirees group.

I think we would both agree that the retirees got the absolute worst screwing. As far as active pilots still flying at United, I don't know. There is a saying that sometimes those who get furloughed FIRST have it best - because they get a head start on new jobs. I was furloughed pretty much last and am on with FedEx. I loved working at United, but I wouldn't go back if they gave me 12 year widebody captain pay.

The lesson to be learned is even if you still have a pension, don't count on it!

owens corning

General Lee said:
We will. And how is management getting too much INSULATION? Our group won't take it, we aren't NW--we lost all of our senior guys who were loyalists. You know that. We want different things, and SCOPE PROTECTION is one of them. Sorry. And if it does go downhill, your airline will fold or lay off thousands. You better hope we don't.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I just know you love that word "insulation"

I hope things go well in da near future

Protect that microscope so us little RJ drivers can move on in less than 30 years.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back