Delta lands on M in the ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I saw this happen myself.
ALPA should be very proud that this crew, in the event of an emergency, still sounded very professional when they asked for their Wind Check.

It's now being reported on the news that this (the MSP boo-boo) could be a case of pilots nodding off; the FAA and NTSB should release additional information later this afternoon.

The previous article indicates this was simply a case of lost comm; if so, I believe traveling about a hundred miles out of the way is not quite in keeping with the FARs on lost comm procedures, so that story is a little shaky. I also hope they had had a long schedule, when the investigation shows that they indeed fell asleep.

How long was the final for Mike, though?
Well, according to the Jepp Plate "ILS 27R circle to M taxiway", Looks like the IAP "DPSHYT" is 6.1 miles out. But knowing how often Jepp come out with revisions, this could be an old plate.

Well, according to the Jepp Plate "ILS 27R circle to M taxiway", Looks like the IAP "DPSHYT" is 6.1 miles out. But knowing how often Jepp come out with revisions, this could be an old plate.

Yo WayBack, you're really funny dude and I'mma let you finish but when you decided to use "DPSHYT" instead of the more appropriate 5-letter "DPSHT", you completely lost my attention.

This thread on the major board is eleven pages long and four pages here. That's fifteen pages and acarpe3448 still hasn't told us what he thinks of pilots who can't find their runway! I remember some of what he said. All the pilots who work for the airline that the offending pilots work for become a "damned dangerous pilot group". Come on carpie, remind me of the other stuff you said. ..l..

Justanumber...What if someone was on the taxi way ? If it was an emergency, nothing is quicker than landing on the RUNWAY, stopping, and having the EMT's come into the plane to assist.

As a pilot for ASA with hundreds of arrivals in the early AM I can see exactly how a landing on the inboard runway could happen. It saves probably 2-4 minutes by landing on 27R vs. 27L. The approach lights for 27L would have been on but NOT the approach lights for 27R. The runway lights for 27R would have been dimmed as well. From the pilots view, the lights on the taxi way would have been the brightest and color would not have really been noticed on the approach or at least when they lined up several miles out. The pilots probably setup the approach and were cleared for 27L then several miles out, they requested 27R due to the medical emergency. If there had been planes in line for 27R this would have never happened as it would have more clearly defined the runway. Also the only way to see 27R in the dark with no lights is to notice the location of the PAPI. I believe that it is on the right side of 27R. When the pilots lined up with the taxiway it would have been to their left. I think that they got setup for failure on this one and their only way out was in a small detail. Also if you look at old pictures of Hartsfield I believe that the taxiway in question was an old runway. Someone will need to verify the PAPI and old runway part, I don't have my Jepps here.

Latest resources

Back