• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta jumpseat issues

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So there I was, late into SAN and walking off the plane to start a 36 hour layover the day before Xmas eve, and next door is a USAIR flight to PHX (where my daughter lives) that I was unaware existed and last one out that night. They are literally closing the door, but I walk up and ask the agent if there was any way they could fit a last second jumpseater on, and he smiles and says SURE! I got to spend Xmas eve with my daughter thanks to that guy. I made sure he knew how much that meant to me. Not sure that would've happened after all my experiences with Delta agents.

Slip the gate agent a a stick of gum and tell em the General sent ya...they will bump a frequent flyer out of first for ya

OYS, bribing gate agents is not the way to go I think. If it is someone who always deals with you and you're using it as a nice gesture, then alright. Remember that gate agents are merely doing their job, and part of their job is to deal with jumseaters. I show up when they are not busy and in a normal neutral tone tell them that I am on the jumpseat need to be activated. Show that you know what you're doing and that will make them respect you. They know that many try to kiss their behinds to get what they need, try the opposite as said above. Being professional and courteous is a must, don't get emotional. See them dealing with costumers then wait till they're done. Show that you're helping them with getting the flight out on time. If you have problems talk to the j/s committee.

People have been bring cookies and candy to gate agents and FA's as long as I can remember, not me however. J/S committee is the only way to handle this type stuff, posting here will not get you results...

I've never had a problem jumpseating (I'm DL) on DL. 90% of the time I book the seat online, so there is barely anything to do for the agent.

Occasionally you run into an agent that has hit their glass ceiling... that is no fun for anyone. I can't remember the last time I've had a problem with an agent trying to get on a flight, though. I went diving down the hall in MSP last week 2 minutes before door close... left my employee number to nonrev with the agent and she told me a seat to take (exit row window... jackpot). Nothing like getting home a day earlier than you expected. Things are taking a turn for the better it seems.

Oh, and OYS is the new annoying General Lee of FI. Back to lurking I go!

Delta gate agent story? How about when you are dead heading and are positive space and clearly state that fact right after asking them how their day is going and their only response is that they are not getting on the plane.

Hey, that is fine. But let me just call crew scheduling and let them know I will not be making it. The short of the story is that CS called Delta and the gate agents phone rang and soon their was room for me on the plane.

Yes, lets reduce the amount of flights Delta, because obviously there is an excess of seats on all your flights.

And why are you getting positive space on Delta when it isn't your airline?

Latest resources

Back