Delta jumpseat issues

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JT12345

This has been going on for months now. Gate agents list an off line jumpseater the wrong way and access to flight deck is denied. It is hard to get upset about this when Delta pilots tell me they have problems jumpseating on their own airline too.

Is there a memo or a page out of the gate agent instruction manual I can get a hold of, so when I jumpseat and there is a problem I can give the instructions to the gate agent. I try to tell them they are listing me wrong, but they just blow me off. Maybe if I had something in writing they would take another look at fixing it on the computer.

From what I understand if you are transferred to the stby list you can not be transferred back to the flight deck jumpseat and access is denied. You have to be deleted from the system and start over as a jumpseater.

I know this is a reciprocal agreement and 9 times outta 10 it goes well, but man I just wanna get to work without worrying if the gate agent knows what they are doing. It is hard enough worrying about getting on the flight.

Anything in writing would be great to carry around to show them there is an issue.

Thanks.

P.S. One more thing. I have also had gate agents tell me that there is a FA listed for the back. The Delta pilot jumpseater is willing to take the FA seat, but the gate agent says there is a FA listed. The FA does not show up, and the gate agent does nothing to get me on. Delta pilot is already on the plane. Hosed again.

Last edited:
This has been going on for months now. Gate agents list an off line jumpseater the wrong way and access to flight deck is denied. It is hard to get upset about this when Delta pilots tell me they have problems jumpseating on their own airline too.

Is there a memo or a page out of the gate agent instruction manual I can get a hold of, so when I jumpseat and there is a problem I can give the instructions to the gate agent. I try to tell them they are listing me wrong, but they just blow me off. Maybe if I had something in writing they would take another look at fixing it on the computer.

From what I understand if you are transferred to the stby list you can not be transferred back to the flight deck jumpseat and access is denied. You have to be deleted from the system and start over as a jumpseater.

I know this is a reciprocal agreement and 9 times outta 10 it goes well, but man I just wanna get to work without worrying if the gate agent knows what they are doing. It is hard enough worrying about getting on the flight.

Anything in writing would be great to carry around to show them there is an issue.

Thanks.

P.S. One more thing. I have also had gate agents tell me that there is a FA listed for the back. The Delta pilot jumpseater is willing to take the FA seat, but the gate agent says there is a FA listed. The FA does not show up, and the gate agent does nothing to get me on. Delta pilot is already on the plane. Hosed again.

Stuff like that probably does happen, and that sux. I would always get there at least an hour prior to the flight, when the gate agents aren't that busy yet, bring them a simple piece of chocolate or something like that, and try to personally wave or say hi to the crew as they come to the gate or walk off the plane to stretch. Be proactive. IF you see a DL jumpseater, proactively ask him/her if it comes down to it, would they mind sitting in the FA jump if he/she doesn't show up? (after asking gate agent if there is a FA listed for the jump)

Most gate agents do know what is going on, but if you see that happening a lot at your home city, ask them how to fix it or if they do it correctly ask them how they did it. If the others get stuck, then try to help with a smile. Linger around when they are calling names for the STBY list, and that way they don't forget about you. I know you've done this before and you aren't new, but sometimes it is helpful to know how NOT to get in their way and get them frustrated. The number one thing they want to do is to try to get the flight out on time so they aren't in trouble, and you are way down on the list. Being proactive and polite with a chocolate always helps. Good luck.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

I commute on a few different airlines regularly and our gate agents are a pain in the ass. Every other airline I go on seems to have friendlier agents. I don't know why this is. Good luck changing the system one agent at a time though.

"I would always get there at least an hour prior to the flight"

Jesus H Christ, I have had UAL agents list me in 2 minutes

Oys is just another out of touch geezer who clearly does not commute and has far too much time on the gogo wifi. Dal agents are awful. You cant fix stupid with a piece of chocolate!

"I would always get there at least an hour prior to the flight"

Jesus H Christ, I have had UAL agents list me in 2 minutes

Truly...a Christmas miracle.

I have a hard time getting a UAL agent to stop putting on lipstick and actually help me.

Also, in regards to Delta...I had and agent call the ATL Police on me because he--this was before RP had CASS--checked my ID against some internal DAL database with sample ID's in it...and my ID was different and he claimed I had a fake ID. The only thing that saved me was the CA wondered up from the airplane, because his wife was getting on an airplane across the hall, and he somehow talked the police out of arresting me and got me on the jumpseat (lucky for me since it was a Song flight to LAS).

Last edited:
yeah, chocolate helps? So now we are tipping the gate agents to do their job? I have had gate agents respond to my question on if there was a seat in the back for the jump seater that the guy would not be getting on the plane today since she did not have time. It was 15 minutes prior to departure and the jump seater was there at least 45 minutes prior. My response was then the plane will be late, the only thing keeping the jump seater off the plane will be weight and balance issues. Period.

It might be time to block OY6 as everything I read from her is rediculous

Delta gate agent story? How about when you are dead heading and are positive space and clearly state that fact right after asking them how their day is going and their only response is that they are not getting on the plane.

Hey, that is fine. But let me just call crew scheduling and let them know I will not be making it. The short of the story is that CS called Delta and the gate agents phone rang and soon their was room for me on the plane.

Yes, lets reduce the amount of flights Delta, because obviously there is an excess of seats on all your flights.

Latest resources

Back