• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Jump$eat ???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, this problem is very real. This exact situation came up in Dallas-FortWorth when my FO was trying to commute to Atlanta on Dec 1st. She wasn't sure if the travel changes went into effect on the 1st or the 4th so she tried to list for the jumpseat instead of non-rev. The Delta agent denied her the jumpseat even though there were about 90 seats open. He explained to her that ASA pilots are no longer allowed to jumpseat if there is already one jumpseater listed, no matter how many seats are open in the cabin.
(In this situation) ASA pilots will be required to use the travel benefits and sit in the cabin. However Delta will still welcome as many off line jumpseaters as they can accomodate free of charge!!

As we all know, gate agents sometimes use their own rules when it comes to putting people on an airplane. This one was doing exactly that. Send it through your jumpseat coordinator to ours. Give all the details (flight number, gate agents name if able)

As we all know, gate agents sometimes use their own rules when it comes to putting people on an airplane. This one was doing exactly that. Send it through your jumpseat coordinator to ours. Give all the details (flight number, gate agents name if able)

and don't be afraid to talk to a supervisor/redcoat in a respectful, professional manner. these types of gate agents will always get away with this crap unless they are challenged.

i've actually had one complain about our 'free' jumpseat privileges to my face. i kindly explained to him that he can also benefit from these privileges by becoming a pilot, flight attendant, dispatcher, mechanic, etc. i then signed my jumpseat form and went to work.

gate agents don't receive jumpseat privileges. gate agents also have hundreds of bases to choose from.

please refer them to your jumpseat committee. and stand your ground. you'd be surprised what a Starbucks coffee and a little encouragement can do for a stubborn gate agent.

kudos to those gate agents who understand our simple requests to get to work. shame on those who try to make it as difficult as possible. we all need to take care of each other.

Actually, this problem is very real. This exact situation came up in Dallas-FortWorth when my FO was trying to commute to Atlanta on Dec 1st. She wasn't sure if the travel changes went into effect on the 1st or the 4th so she tried to list for the jumpseat instead of non-rev. The Delta agent denied her the jumpseat even though there were about 90 seats open. He explained to her that ASA pilots are no longer allowed to jumpseat if there is already one jumpseater listed, no matter how many seats are open in the cabin.
(In this situation) ASA pilots will be required to use the travel benefits and sit in the cabin. However Delta will still welcome as many off line jumpseaters as they can accomodate free of charge!!

No our (XJT) DirOps made a comment as well, that there is an issue. Sounds like, you must non-rev if there are open seats in back. Physical jumpseat is free of charge if its the last one available to the J/S'er
Waiting to hear back from our J/S coordinator to confirm.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification fellas. As far as the rule for ASA...that totally blows. They need to correct that.

Call your JS coordinator with ALPA. He will call ours and we will get it fixed. It is not right. I know from my experiences out of DFW, some gate agents do make their own rules. Most are awesome, but there are one or two that come to mind that go out of their way to be jerks.

you'd be surprised what a Starbucks coffee and a little encouragement can do for a stubborn gate agent.
True, but, they are not allowed to eat and drink at the gate. I carry a little bag of candy to hand out as treats. They can hide the stash for later.

Last edited:
As I stated on the regionals forum......This is a computer glitch that affects DCI carriers ONLY, not all jumpseaters. Also, the glitch will only affect SkyWest, and ASA as of today (Dec. 04th). The only reason a SkyWest, or ASA pilot will be charged is because of the new segment fees on Mainline flights (not sure about skywest pilots on other DCI or vice versa).

Yesterday I spoke with a fairly senior manager at Delta who has assured me that the problem is not only being looked into, but will be fixed. The software itself may not be fixed until after the holidays as Delta does not want to create more problems during the busy month by making software changes. However, Delta is aware of the problem , and has been working with the software vendor on a fix to it. It should work like this................

SkyWest/DCI pilot asks to jumpseat and is "flowed" to the back. The software will give the pilot an S3"D" (could be called something else) which will not use the PPR, but will keep him higher than the non DCI jumpseater, but lower than another employee who is non-reving (on their S3C PPR). If the SkyWest pilot want the higher S3C priority (i.e. going on vacation) then they can list using their PPR, but will be charged for the segment(s).

So to be clear........no jumpseater will ever be charged on any Delta, or Delta Connection flights if they ride in the cockpit.

ONLY SkyWest and ASA will be charged (on Delta flights, not their own flights) for jumpseating (starting today), and ONLY if they are flowed to the cabin, and ONLY until Delta can upgrade the software (end of December)......and there may even be a temporary fix that will eliminate that period as well (not sure about that though).

Last edited:
I know from my experiences out of DFW, some gate agents do make their own rules. Most are awesome, but there are one or two that come to mind that go out of their way to be jerks.
Ditto that. I jumpseat often out of DFW on Delta/Delta Connection flights. There are 2 awesome gate agents that will do whatever you ask of them and the rest seem to make up their own rules.

Latest resources

Back