• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta is now looking at possible USAir Aquistion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dan- you do know that USAPA is the love child of the poster child for failed mergers, right? Care to fess up which union led that?

Not a "failed merger" A failed SLI, negotiated under ALPA and its "failed" merger policy. And so far USAPA has succeeded at keeping these TWO airlines apart. Hey Wave, if your so passionate about OUR ongoings at Airways, how about coming over. We are hiring. Or perhaps you prefer PHX? What say YOU?

I'm good on jobs- thx though
Usair hasn't failed as a business venture- thx to Loa 93
But it has for the airline pilot career.
Indisputably.

DAL could act as a spoiler in this situation to prevent a LCC/AMR combination that would create another very large, low-cost competitor. AMR is probably less of a threat if it reorganizes on it's own and emerges as a smaller carrier. It's tough to say how much value LCC would bring to DAL but it gets rid of a competitor and prevents the LCC/AMR deal. I would guess that TPG was going to work in combination with LCC so it pretty much stops that combination as well. We should start to see how serious these other players are in the next year.

My thoughts exactly. I don't think you would ever see a DAL/AMR deal approved. However, with AMR in bankruptcy, they need to open up their books to any potential suitor. DAL gets a free peek. The LCC makes more sense as it eliminates an AMR/LCC hookup.

Dan- you do know that USAPA is the love child of the poster child for failed mergers, right? Care to fess up which union led that?

Well trying to merge AmWest and USAir was going to be as difficult as any merger could possibly be. You would be hard pressed to find two seniority lists harder to mesh than those. AmWest was very young and USair probably had the oldest relative pilots, USAir was close to shutting down and AMWest saved their arse. It wasn't going to be easy and you certainly couldn't justify straight date of hire that put furloughee's ahead of active Captains. Especially since USAir was so close to shutting down.
Under ALPA they came to an agreement to accept a third parties binding arbitration. Probably the only reasonable thing to do given the huge disparities between the two airlines. So......under ALPA they came up with the only possible solution given the circumstances. It's under USAPA that they went down the road of extreme self interest, unrealistic expectations and the resulting degradation of the profession at USAir.

ALPA's not perfect because individual pilot groups are not perfect. But they are tasked with trying represent the entire profession. They have done an admirable job and contributed more to our profession than any CAPA union has, simple as that.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly. I don't think you would ever see a DAL/AMR deal approved. However, with AMR in bankruptcy, they need to open up their books to any potential suitor. DAL gets a free peek. The LCC makes more sense as it eliminates an AMR/LCC hookup.

The DL/LCC matchup doesn't work either. Way too much East Coast overlap. The only part that might be plausible without much Gov't scrutiny would be acquiring the West portion IMO.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

The DL/LCC matchup doesn't work either. Way too much East Coast overlap. The only part that might be plausible without much Gov't scrutiny would be acquiring the West portion IMO.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

If both DAL & LCC are flying full planes than how much over lap can their be? Will a reduction of 50 seats play into this? Maybe a frequency of service could be maintained without the need to replace a retiring regional fleet?

US Airways has huge control over northeast domestic routes. Delta may want these routes to secure feed for their New York investments. NYC airports are max'd out and Delta may turn to PHL for relief?

US Airways could certainly feed American's international operations with its high passenger loads. LCC/AMR could spoil DAL's NYC initiative!

If both DAL & LCC are flying full planes than how much over lap can their be? Will a reduction of 50 seats play into this? Maybe a frequency of service could be maintained without the need to replace a retiring regional fleet?

Sure there's not a lot of excess capacity anywhere anymore. But in this sense we're talking traffic percentages in an out of certain east coast markets, which means a combined DAL & LCC would have a very large percentage of all such traffic and would raise serious anti-trust issues even though from a business perspective it may make sense. Even just a simple slot-swap wasn't a sure thing to get past the regulators so a merger would be a nightmare. AMR is not as big on the east-coast domestic market so makes it easier to argue that a combined company doesn't eliminate all competition in any one market.

FYI - Word is TPD is working with British Airways to make the $$$ work as a foreign owned airline (AA). I know, I know. Wrong tread.

I heard Delta was taking the "West" routes but wanted the "East pilots." They thought the crazy Easties would fit in better with OYS and the Gen.

The good Ole' West pilots will go with AMR or whoever buys the East shuttle.

Latest resources

Back