• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta is now looking at possible USAir Aquistion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If both DAL & LCC are flying full planes than how much over lap can their be? Will a reduction of 50 seats play into this? Maybe a frequency of service could be maintained without the need to replace a retiring regional fleet?

US Airways has huge control over northeast domestic routes. Delta may want these routes to secure feed for their New York investments. NYC airports are max'd out and Delta may turn to PHL for relief?

US Airways could certainly feed American's international operations with its high passenger loads. LCC/AMR could spoil DAL's NYC initiative!

Sure, both are flying full planes, but one is making a heck of a lot more profit than the other. The overlap between AA and US is a lot less than US and DL, because AA just doesn't have bases in the same areas, whereas US and DL are
next door neighbors in ATL/CLT and PHL/DCA/NYC.

Wait, did you just say PHL would RELIEVE our NYC ops? Really? PHL is a hole. No way. US does NOT own the NE, if anything Jetblue does. US mainly flies E170s out of DCA and PHL, has some Europe flying (25% what DL has in JFK), and CLT brings in a fraction of what ATL brings to DL. Not even close.

AA/US would spoil DL's NYC plans? DL already has more slots at LGA than both of you combined, and the DL JFK hub is twice as big as AA's. AA used to fly many flights to the Caribbean from JFK, but that has been given to Jetblue. AA's Europe flying to has shrunk, and that nice terminal at JFK seems empty most of the time. And you said US could feed AA's Europe flights? At JFK? With which slots? JFK is slot controlled in the afternoon and early evening. JB and DL, along with many INTL airlines, take up most of the JFK flying during those time periods.

So, you know how DP hasn't really worked on getting his employees a new
contract, and the same goes for AA and their 5 year contract talks to no avail, but you think these guys running those airlines could be the winning combo to spoil DL's better organized plans? Think about what that means, say it to yourself again, and then don't laugh. You give them way too much credit. Those two haven't proven anything. Don't overestimate your chances. Merging two companies who can't seem to get it together by themselves just makes a bigger mess.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Last edited:
I heard Delta was taking the "West" routes but wanted the "East pilots." They thought the crazy Easties would fit in better with OYS and the Gen.

The good Ole' West pilots will go with AMR or whoever buys the East shuttle.

I think we should get the East pilots and NO planes. Just the pilots. They are probably all like Sulley.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

The west has 122 airframes (mainline), not 70. Down from 147 pre merger.

I guess I missed the whole "Delta is the best" speech the first time. I'm all caught up now. Thanks again. Way to be Airmen!

Latest resources

Back