Delta is now looking at possible USAir Aquistion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OYSter,

I agree. I don't see a full merger with USair, rather maybe just the West side. And, with DL being 15 times the size (12,500 vs 800 in PHX?) , and their "career expectations" being low while having a few West 757s and 70 or so West Airbus, I am sure the arbitrator would bring them in somewhere in the middle, and then down at a 15 to 1 ratio. Or, we could be mean and give them threats like you guys....

I was trying to figure this whole thing out. Maybe, just maybe, DL would want to stick it to SWA at one of their largest bases (PHX), and bring in an airline that has money (3 times your profit) and compete against you just like you will try to do against DL in ATL? That would be fun. This also could be a warning shot to AK, who won't want to be left out when everything stops. USair West could be used to actually fight AK up and down the West Coast, something DL doesn't do now. Maybe someone wants AK to make a decision, AA or DL? Who knows?

Godspeed!

The OYSter

And easily THREE times the debt.

Godspeed OYS.....Your gonna need it brother!

And easily THREE times the debt.

Godspeed OYS.....Your gonna need it brother!

DL made 3 times your profit WHILE paying down $4.1 billion in debt since 2009. By the end of next year, DL projects their debt will decrease from $18 billion to $10 billion. What does that mean? DL is really kicking your rear in the revenue and profit department. That's profit and debt payments at the same time. No wonder DL is looking around for more potential acquisitions, they have the cash and are confident with whatever the plans are. If DL does get the West side somehow and does come to PHX, you had better watch out. Good luck, you will need it too bro!

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Last edited:
OYSter,

I was trying to figure this whole thing out. Maybe, just maybe, DL would want to stick it to SWA at one of their largest bases (PHX), and bring in an airline that has money (3 times your profit) and compete against you just like you will try to do against DL in ATL? That would be fun. This also could be a warning shot to AK, who won't want to be left out when everything stops. USair West could be used to actually fight AK up and down the West Coast, something DL doesn't do now. Maybe someone wants AK to make a decision, AA or DL? Who knows?

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Can you just not HELP yourself? Is that what it is? This thread had nothing to do with SWA, but you managed to work a slam in anyway. Well done!

Bubba

OYSter,

I agree. I don't see a full merger with USair, rather maybe just the West side. And, with DL being 15 times the size (12,500 vs 800 in PHX?) , and their "career expectations" being low while having a few West 757s and 70 or so West Airbus, I am sure the arbitrator would bring them in somewhere in the middle, and then down at a 15 to 1 ratio. Or, we could be mean and give them threats like you guys....

Godspeed!

The OYSter

We are one of the few airlines that has been able to hold our own against Southwest and actually beat them out east. Alaska though? I think it's better to play friendly with Alaska and use them as a feeder. Just my two cents.

Can you just not HELP yourself? Is that what it is? This thread had nothing to do with SWA, but you managed to work a slam in anyway. Well done!

Bubba

I was trying to figure out why DL would go after all or part of US, and the PHX hub came up, being the West hub for US and a major hub for SWA. Maybe DL wants some payback for SWA coming into ATL? That could be possible. Instead of getting upset, why don't you comment on that opinion? And of course you don't see anything wrong with Redflyer's comments. Well done!

Godspeed!

The OYSter

Oys, its your turn little buddy if this happens. The AW will get way better seniority over you in a arbitration deal. Remember all that talk of arbitration is fair? Usair fly's big airplanes too. Isn't 3/4 of thier list gone in 10 years. They will have better career expectations than you little buddy.Lol. Arbitration the Alpa way.

Oys, its your turn little buddy if this happens. The AW will get way better seniority over you in a arbitration deal. Remember all that talk of arbitration is fair? Usair fly's big airplanes too. Isn't 3/4 of thier list gone in 10 years. They will have better career expectations than you little buddy.Lol. Arbitration the Alpa way.

The AWA guys have that? USair East has too much overlap with CLT and PHL/DCA. LOL. You are wrong. If AWA is the part taken in PHX, their guys are a small group overall, about 800 or so guys. I'd still do fine, and then throw in our 5000 retirements in the next 10 years anyway. You guys, not so much.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

The AWA guys have that? USair East has too much overlap with CLT and PHL/DCA. LOL. You are wrong. If AWA is the part taken in PHX, their guys are a small group overall, about 800 or so guys. I'd still do fine, and then throw in our 5000 retirements in the next 10 years anyway. You guys, not so much.

Godspeed!

The OYSter
It's more like 15-1600 west guys. Of course given the size of Delta, that's splitting hairs.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back