Delta in SEA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That explaination is incorrect.

A "7ER" base/category is a 767/757 "transoceanic qualified" base/category in as few words as possible.

A "767" base/category (also known as 767 domestic) is a 767/757 base/category that flies non ocean crossing routes and does not go farther south than 3 degrees south of the equator. I believe the farthest out to sea that we go on the domestic side is Bermuda.

All 7ER and 767 pilots are qualified to fly, and do fly, all models of the 757-200, 757-200ER (winglets), 767-300, and 767-300ER... soon to be adding the 757-300.

The 767-400 is a separate "ER" category where they fly both ocean crossing and domestic ops. This is designated as the "765." Goodness knows why it got this designation.. someone told me the history behind it one time, but I've long since forgotten.

"ER" pilots can fly both domestic (see previous description) and international, while non ER can only do "domestic" ops.

So do ER pilots normally get stuff within the US? Or even though they can, do they only fly international?

NWA, under Dasburg, gave all of the domestic flying out of SEA away to Alaska. I remembering him explaining his strategy and how shrinking the airline into cold and dark hubs in the midwest was a good thing.

So do ER pilots normally get stuff within the US? Or even though they can, do they only fly international?

We do really well on the ER in the Summer, when everyone flies overseas. During the Winter, the flying dries up a bit, and trips that used to be daily during the Summer maybe fly 3-4 times a week. So, they usually add some domestic trips into the mix to keep people flying on the ER side, and lower the average line value at domestic only bases. Next month in ATL we have a lot of 4 day domestic trips in the pot.

As far as SEA going senior, I think that will be for both sides. There are PLENTY of senior DL folks that will bid it, even moving from the left seat to the right. Junior guys (and I know SEA A330 is senior) on that plane will probably be displaced. But, I have been hearing of a SLC A320 base, so they may bid into that and still fly the stick, albeit at a slight discount.

Bye Bye--General Lee

0. But, I have been hearing of a SLC A320 base, so they may bid into that and still fly the stick, albeit at a slight discount.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Anything on the west is going to be quite attractive to many NWA guys and gals. Even though NWA's roots are in MSP, they had a significant presence on the west coast at one time. NWA had a larger base in SEA, a LAX base and a HNL base. As the airline retreated to the frozen tundra, many west coasters did not and their commuting adventures began.

In any case, I do hope that Delta expands international service out of SEA thus increasing the base size and providing more options for those out west. I do think that will be the case.

Last edited:
Anything on the west is going to be quite attractive to many NWA guys and gals. Even though NWA's roots are in MSP, they had a significant presence on the west coast at one time. NWA had a larger base in SEA, a LAX base and a HNL base. As the airline retreated to the frozen tundra, many west coasters did not and their commuting adventures began.

In any case, I do hope that Delta expands international service out of SEA thus increasing the base size and providing more options for those out west. I do think that will be the case.

Gate space is kinda tight at SEA, isn't it? Delta is moving their ops to the S terminal, so there goes the B gates, and how many gates does NWA have at SEA?

Gate space is kinda tight at SEA, isn't it? Delta is moving their ops to the S terminal, so there goes the B gates, and how many gates does NWA have at SEA?

Good point. I fly into SEA often and it seems to me that all the S gates are accounted for but under-utilized. My guess is that there would be some room to ramp up operations a bit out of these gates. Just a guess, we'll see.

Last edited:

I think they will too. Air Canada flies 767-300ERs from YVR up the street all over Asia nonstop---and that is without winglets which we will get. I hear the 757s may come back to the US and 767ERs will do the intra Asia stuff too. It should go senior, but as senior FNWA guys start to retire more people will be able to bid it eventually.

Bye Bye--General Lee

That explaination is incorrect.

A "7ER" base/category is a 767/757 "transoceanic qualified" base/category in as few words as possible.

A "767" base/category (also known as 767 domestic) is a 767/757 base/category that flies non ocean crossing routes and does not go farther south than 3 degrees south of the equator. I believe the farthest out to sea that we go on the domestic side is Bermuda.

All 7ER and 767 pilots are qualified to fly, and do fly, all models of the 757-200, 757-200ER (winglets), 767-300, and 767-300ER... soon to be adding the 757-300.

The 767-400 is a separate "ER" category where they fly both ocean crossing and domestic ops. This is designated as the "765." Goodness knows why it got this designation.. someone told me the history behind it one time, but I've long since forgotten.

"ER" pilots can fly both domestic (see previous description) and international, while non ER can only do "domestic" ops.

Typical instructor....

I could have phrased "That explaination is incorrect" a bit better... it's amazing how many people think that the 7ER pilots only fly 767-300ER aircraft.

Latest resources

Back