• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta in SEA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd agree that you don't need a 320 base in SEA. The DAL/AS agreement will give you guys the West Coast feed you need.

That said, I'm still not convinced that once DAL has digested NWA they won't assimilate AS as well. If for no other reason but to deny that precious West Coast feed to AA and open more seats for themselves.

If we merge with Alaska, can we hire the APA to handle our merger?

This is a staple free zone.
Interesting to note, just looked up Alaska's profile on APC. Largest airplanes are the newer 737s -800s? (I think)--APC shows their Capt. payrate on that aircraft to be almost exactly the same as DAL's rate on the -800. If it happens, (buy-out or merger w/DAL) looks like your most senior capts. would start to "merge" into our list (by status & category) at about number 2000 or so, with MD-80 Capts. going a little lower, maybe about 3 - 4000 or so. How does that sound to you, AKMD80GUY?....What!!! You want what???!!!---Date of Hire????:laugh: I'm sure the former NW pilots would support you!!!....right, NW guys??:bomb: ;) (The Delta pilots (all of us) more than likely, will not [ask the [likely] arbitrators, to] staple you!)

Last edited:
Interesting to note, just looked up Alaska's profile on APC. Largest airplanes are the newer 737s -800s? (I think)--APC shows their Capt. payrate on that aircraft to be almost exactly the same as DAL's rate on the -800. If it happens, (buy-out or merger w/DAL) looks like your most senior capts. would start to "merge" into our list (by status & category) at about number 2000 or so, with MD-80 Capts. going a little lower, maybe about 3 - 4000 or so. How does that sound to you, AKMD80GUY?....What!!! You want what???!!!---Date of Hire????:laugh: I'm sure the former NW pilots would support you!!!....right, NW guys??:bomb: ;)

I am sure they would TRY to say the 737-900 is the same size as a 757, so they deserve to be placed in a ratio starting at the 757/767, but I don't think Dalpa or any arbitrator would go for it (the NWA 757-300 was placed in with our 757-200s and 767s).

Most likelyhood they would blend them in in some ratio from the 737-800s down. Their career expectations do not include anything larger at this point.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Most likelyhood they would blend them in in some ratio from the 737-800s down. Their career expectations do not include anything larger at this point.

Bye Bye--General Lee

When faced with a similar disparity with AAA/AWA, where one carrier brings wide bodied international categories and the other doesn't, Nicolau added up all the international positions, both captain and first officer and then started the ratios from that point. The justification for adding the first officer positions was that the senior AWA pilots did not have an expectation of those wide bodied positions and by adding in the first officer positions he protected the AAA first officer expectations of bidding those wide bodied captain slots when they became available.

If we merge with Alaska, can we hire the APA to handle our merger?

Ouch.

From what I've seen, DAL SLIs are pretty fair. The earlier poster who posited merging Alaska pilots in with the DAL 737-800 guys probably has the right idea. Of course, Gen. Lee and his ilk will probably demand a "forever" fence around the widebodies due to "career expectations".

Personally, I tend to believe that once the SLI takes place, everyone has the same career expectations, so that kind of fence is merely divisive and helps the Company keep the pilot group at odds with each other.

After the SLI, all positions should be open for bid using system seniority. That's the only fair way to proceed.

After the SLI, all positions should be open for bid using system seniority. That's the only fair way to proceed.

Sure. A guy chooses to work at a company with no possibility of ever flying a widebody, another chooses to work at a company that has a global network with a significant percentage of its fleet composed of widebodies. The carriers merge and now they have identical career expectations?

Arbitrators look at career expectations in effect prior to mergers -- when people made the decision to join up.

Ouch.

From what I've seen, DAL SLIs are pretty fair. The earlier poster who posited merging Alaska pilots in with the DAL 737-800 guys probably has the right idea. Of course, Gen. Lee and his ilk will probably demand a "forever" fence around the widebodies due to "career expectations".

Personally, I tend to believe that once the SLI takes place, everyone has the same career expectations, so that kind of fence is merely divisive and helps the Company keep the pilot group at odds with each other.

I guess you haven't been paying attention to what has been going on. In the Nicelau award with AWA/USAir, he put the top 500 pilots all USAir East since they had INTL operations and AWA didn't. Our DL/NWA award had ratios with airplanes taken into consideration too. If we ever do buy you guys and eventually merge, we will see what you bring to the table. Don't expect it to be fair. Expect a ratio and expect the bottom guy to be an AK pilot. If you guys buy DL, then we could expect the same I guess.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back