• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Had A Great Quarter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How do you guys honestly and objectively (if possible) see the future for these two airlines? As a new guy just breaking in to this industry, I see a lot of pros and cons to both. Which would you chose to work at and why? I know the standard "variety of equipment and routes" and "corporate culture" answers, but would really like some insight by those of you who have been doing this for a while. Thanks.

Sorry for being late on this one....but...Thank gawd for $1bil in consessions or you Delta guys would be in the red.

Bye Bye-

Tanker Clown

p.s. maybe between Song and another round of concessions, Delta will make money next year too.

The Southwest guys may be next. We gave concessions thanks to a BK judge ruling over us. We also got huge checks in the claim sale (I got $280,000 before taxes and before they took out $88,000 for my 2006/2007 401ks) BK was tough, but monitarily I did ok, and the bottom furloughed pilot got over $200,000. Then I was given another $66,000 for next year, for our pension dump, and $44,000 of that will go into my 2008 401k. How are you doing this year tanker clown?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Right, you wish everyone the best:

Last time I checked they are at the ATM. Every day that goes by is money they are taking from you. If you did not give consessions the money would be in your pocket not theirs. So they are at the ATM until you get back what you had...don't kid you

I do realize this is me vs you or us verus them....the fact that there is competition in this industry is a fact. We all can all hope for the best for the other team. Then we lose. There is not enough room on the field for everyone....someone will lose. I just hope it is not my team...if it is yours sorry for your
luck.

It's very simple. SWA is a domestic airline. Their pilots are knows money grabbers. They will fly over vacation when allowed. They fly sick to bank their sick trips. They are always trying to find ways to fly more. I know about 40 of them, so you can save the mantra. Additionally, they are not smart enough to even try and hide the fact that they look forward to the day fellow pilots lose their jobs when their airlines go BK. Well, my airline went BK, I didn't lose my job, and I will make more money than SWA 12 year captain's. If you follow my track record with a SWA pilot hired the same day as me, it's even more lopsided. Not until December 31 2009 do I predict that a SWA 12 year CA makes more than I do. Of course, that is provided that I am not a 767 international captain, which will likely happen on the bid coming in november. Meanwhile, a will keep an interested eye on what happens to SW pilots as these two years roll along, but without a payraise of 50%, they won't catch me in 2008. GL can fill you in on the details if he so wishes. These posts were merely for the SW guys who think that they actually have something to do with an airline's success, while they hung on the bar for years, are pushing for an age 60 change so they can whore for 5 more years, and have yet to surpass my earnings. BTW I know that htis does not apply to all SW pilots, but at least one of yours deserved it.

Easy man.....

Southwest has had 66 profitable quarters....not months....QUARTERS!!

That's awfully hard to push aside and say theirs is coming......they'll keep chugging along, making cash while we pile everybody on an RJ and lose their bags so we can get them to their lie-flat bed in first class to Venice!!

Ever heard of PANAM?? That's where we are headed Puff.........no domestic feed!! You should be staring straight ahead, not looking over your shoulder dissing SWA!!!

Sorry for being late on this one....but...Thank gawd for $1bil in consessions or you Delta guys would be in the red.

Bye Bye-

Tanker Clown

p.s. maybe between Song and another round of concessions, Delta will make money next year too.

PS and maybe you can go find another Avatar.....!!

Be creative, don't try to be me!!

Puff,

Hell no we couldn't figure it out cause we deal in real dollars.

You're counting a bankrupt court payout? That's fuzzy math at best. It's cash, I'll give you that, but it's a stretch.

I put the max in my 401k this year. The company is still matching my earnings up to 32k this year. That's almost 50k. On top of 190k base pay this year. I have stock options. I guess if I sell them this year I'll count that too. Should I use pretax $$ or after tax? Oh, and I got 10k back from uncle sam this year. I almost forgot the $16k in profit sharing. So following your logic I'll make $300k this year. Not bad for a junior captain.

Gup

You're not listening. #1 my posts are directed to those on your posse who seem to like throwing SWA's success in the face of other airline pilots, when we as pilots have NO bearing on the success of our airlines.

#2 I would be interested to see how your options are doing, since SWA stock isn't what it used to be.

#3 I am not COUNTING on anything. It's here. I'll come in well above you, and flew around 550 hours this year.

Your boys got spanked. They deserved it. Can we move on now?

Easy man.....

Southwest has had 66 profitable quarters....not months....QUARTERS!!

That's awfully hard to push aside and say theirs is coming......they'll keep chugging along, making cash while we pile everybody on an RJ and lose their bags so we can get them to their lie-flat bed in first class to Venice!!

Ever heard of PANAM?? That's where we are headed Puff.........no domestic feed!! You should be staring straight ahead, not looking over your shoulder dissing SWA!!!

Your point is not missed. A couple of those quarters saw some "creative accounting", but nonetheless it's a very good financial airline.

What I am saying is that the US is in big trouble from an economic standpoint. The signs are ominous, and looming. You can chastise me all you wish, but sometimes people on these boards need spanked, and it's usually a SW pilot who thinks he is the reason for their success. This quarter, it happened to be their fuel hedgers, whom Delta could probably afford to steal away if we had the brains.

I merely pointed out that despite Delta's ch11, it is quite possible, and proven, that Delta pilots have done very well last, this, and next year; aka the BK years.

What I didn't point out was SWAs lack of any kind of bargaining balls up until this decade, aka "hanging on the bar" while other airlines' pilots carried the water for the profession. Not just Delta, either.

What I also didn't point out was the pointing to consolidation. One need only to look as far as USAir or TWA to find evidence of what a merger can do to an airline, ANY airline.

You need to re-quote your post, Bill. A bunch of airlines, and a bunch of years have taught me all I need to know about this biz. Turn your sermon toward the SW juggernauts. My eye has been on the ball from day 1 here. Haven't spent a cent more than necessary for 11 years now. If Delta goes under, so be it.

Last edited:
No domestic feed? Come on. :confused:

71 737's, 121 757's, 24 767's, 120 88/90's, and a buttload of RJ's.

TI don't have to prove I made more, I know it.

If you aren't going to back up your statements their is no point in making them. If you are not talking out of your hind area then maybe you can educate the unwashed masses. I eagerly await your higher math.

I'm afraid I got sucked into this stupid fight, and failed to do what I came to this thread to do:

Congrats Delta!

Latest resources

Back