Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ace757

Revised: Delta has a small computer Glitch for 2 hrs

Delta has a small computer glitch which delayed flights for 2 hours today.

How's that General? Any better:D

Last edited:
ATLANTA — All Delta Air Lines (search) flights were grounded by a computer glitch Saturday afternoon, company officials said.

"Right now, there are no flights going out," said Liza Caceres, a company spokeswoman. "Our main computers are down. We are working as fast as we can to get our passengers back in the air."

Caceres did not know how many flights were being held at gates or what time Saturday the computer glitch occurred.

"This is not a safety or security issue," Caceres said.

Atlanta-based Delta is the nation's third-largest carrier.

There is a huge corporate virus (of the computer kind) running around airline systems right now. The same problem hit Jetblue yesterday, but funny thing is....we didn't ground flights. All ops went to manual backup for scheduling, dispatch, gate and ticket ops. There were a few short delays, but no cancellations.

A lot of hard working folks pulled it off, not unlike the black out in New York last year (though this was a piece of cake compared to that). Congrats especially to the gate, ramp and customer service agents. I watched some amazing hard working folks in OAK. Everyone checked in manually. Not bad for a "computerized" airline.

Skirt

That would be tough when its not something you do every day! Sure hope this glitch doesn't turn into FM III. :)

Was this an issue of "cyber crime" or "cyber terrorism"?

skirt said:
There is a huge corporate virus (of the computer kind) running around airline systems right now. The same problem hit Jetblue yesterday, but funny thing is....we didn't ground flights. All ops went to manual backup for scheduling, dispatch, gate and ticket ops. There were a few short delays, but no cancellations.

A lot of hard working folks pulled it off, not unlike the black out in New York last year (though this was a piece of cake compared to that). Congrats especially to the gate, ramp and customer service agents. I watched some amazing hard working folks in OAK. Everyone checked in manually. Not bad for a "computerized" airline.

Skirt

How many aircraft?
VS Delta Mainline

How many flights, destinations, pax, yada yada does Delta deal with in a day?

I believe Jetblue has around 90 crewmembers total per plane, and Delta has over 100. It could be done.

True, easier to route 57 planes than 400+, however, management has to have a corporate structure and culture that motivates line employees. Again, easier to do with 6000 employees than 60,000.

Easy to walk away from a nightmare problem, when there are 59,999 other people to blame for it, or an act of God, or an act of computer failure, etc. Much harder to step up to the plate and do something, even if in just your small little universe. Sorry to go into a rah-rah Jetblue rant...guilty as charged.

In any case, the other part of this point is that the computer virus is affecting more than just Delta, and it is a very serious virus.

Skirt

Vortilon said:
That would be tough when its not something you do every day! Sure hope this glitch doesn't turn into FM III. :)

I know that this was said as a joke, however I've talked to other people that actually think this could be FMIII. The only problem is that the actual wording in the contract is circumstances beyond the companies control. I would believe having incompetent IT people is well within the control of the company.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back