• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Delta" flight 6499, SEVEN HOURS on the tarmac

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JFK-DFW used to be on ASA's CRJ700 so I would consider the E170 action an upgrade and how generous. It was fun back in the days. Especially about the part Delta thought it was a good idea to run it with a CRJ700 with tons of heavy international bags, taxi delays, reroutes and fighting winds going westbound and then in the end get hosed by thunderstorms in DFW when it doesn't even leave a room for DAL alternate, all in one day. Fun stuff.

Originally it was a 727 operating that route.

It will only get better from here on out! Right Air Wisc, Mesa, Colgan, Pdt!!!!

AHHH SIMPLY THE BEST!

It will only get better from here on out! Right Air Wisc, Mesa, Colgan, Pdt!!!!

AHHH SIMPLY THE BEST!

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the connection between these airlines and this thread? If so, will someone please enlighten me?

Here's the thing...its not the airlines fault (I agree they should do more for the pax) but until the controllers at JFK get their heads out of their own asses nothing will improve. USUALLY AT MOST AIRPORTS THAT HAVE PARALLEL RUNWAYS THEY USE BOTH RUNWAYS FOR DEPARTURES AND ARRIVALS. NOT JFK. HEY GUYS GET A CLUE ON HOW TO UTILIZE YOUR RUNWAYS MORE EFFICIENTLY. THEN THINGS MIGHT IMPROVE!!!!!!!

I feel better now

That would work if JFK was the only large airport in the NY area. However with LGA and EWR, plus HPN and TEB right there as well, doesn't matter how many parallel runways you might have, it won't help the situation. Too many aircraft and not enough airspace to put them in. Plus people tend to forget that 90% of the traffic taking off from one of the 5 major airports in the NY area are headed in a direction that's on the western side of the compass. That doesn't help the situation either.

Last edited:
Hey Comair boss get your facts striaght ..you dip

they did not "taxi-tarmac" for 7 hours in JFK

1. it gate return after 1:52min #1 eng would not start

2. crew change with a legal crew ( to accom DL paxs -- which is more service that you provide) that have been inconvinced by our minor mechanical

3. JFK-DFW 2nd time out block of 4.30.

so yes it was close to 6 1/2 hours they sat on that a/c going from JFK-DFW .
just as all DL flights have taken long taxi out of JFK Shuttle is no different.

but hey... you saw it on youtube so it must be real

What are you talking about????? They spent six-plus hours ON THE GROUND AT JFK PRIOR -- THAT'S PRIOR -- TO TAKEOFF!!!!

The total block time was ten hours!

Hey Comair boss get your facts striaght ..you dip

they did not "taxi-tarmac" for 7 hours in JFK

1. it gate return after 1:52min #1 eng would not start

2. crew change with a legal crew ( to accom DL paxs -- which is more service that you provide) that have been inconvinced by our minor mechanical

3. JFK-DFW 2nd time out block of 4.30.

so yes it was close to 6 1/2 hours they sat on that a/c going from JFK-DFW .
just as all DL flights have taken long taxi out of JFK Shuttle is no different.

but hey... you saw it on youtube so it must be real

From what I see, they left at 4:30 pm and arrived at 1:50 am.

The bottom line here is that for the given objective of the flight, JFK to DFW, there were not enough resources available to satisfactorily complete the mission.

If it were that critical that the passengers get from point A to point B in the time frame that they wanted, they all should have, individually, booked a charter flight, or, bought their own airplane and learned how to fly it.

Instead, they booked the flight that had the cheapest fare for the time that they wanted to travel, in that preferential order. No one, from CNN to FOX news to the FAA, (the airline management or even ALPA for that matter), wants to admit this, but airline passengers bear the vast majority of the responsibility for this situation based off of their purchase decisions when they choose air travel.

To 'fix' this situation to the level of utopia envisioned by the talking heads, re-regulation needs to be explored.

(This will not, however, create a more efficient air travel system, simply a more predictable air travel system.)

Latest resources

Back