• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Contract 2012

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So the pilot groups and their pilots that ratify such concessions bear no responsibility whatsoever?

Of course they do. But someone, somewhere has to lead the groups. ALPA's president signs every CBA.

ALPA's president signs every CBA.

Yes, but he's only looking to make sure your CBA follows ALPA Policy. He doesn't determine whether your contract is "good enough." That up to your own pilots to decide.

The next contract will be a cave job of epic proportions.

It will even overshadow the all-bark-no-bite cave job that Moak did after the BK filing.

He doesn't determine whether your contract is "good enough." That up to your own pilots to decide.

My point entirely. We need National for what, exactly?

My point entirely. We need National for what, exactly?

For a whole hell of a lot, actually. ALPA has tons of experienced staff that really makes the union what it is, and you can't afford to replace even a fraction of them on your own dues revenue. ALPA has 60 attorneys on staff, for instance, each with their own specialties in the law. There's no way to find substitutes for them on your own, especially since many of them are the best in their fields. Bruce York, the Director of Representation, is absolutely irreplaceable. No one else has as good a relationship with the NMB as he does, and if an airline the size of Delta ever hopes to have leverage in Section 6, you need him.

It appears to me that ALPA has a conflict of interest between the regional carriers and the main line carriers. How can they allow better scope at the main line knowing it will cost jobs at the regionals? I think Delta pilots would do well with an independant union.

Jim

It appears to me that ALPA has a conflict of interest between the regional carriers and the main line carriers. How can they allow better scope at the main line knowing it will cost jobs at the regionals?

Because the Duty of Fair Representation (DFR) standard allows a "wide range of reasonableness" for labor unions in how they execute their responsibilities to protect their members' interests. If protecting jobs at the mainline carriers protects the best jobs, then that falls within the standard easily.

Moak will get big pay raises, just he will loosen scope for regionals to fly 767 and below. At least that is what his past performance indicates he will do in the future.

ALPA has tons of experienced staff that really makes the union what it is, and you can't afford to replace even a fraction of them on your own dues revenue.

Remember; Tim is ALPA

It appears to me that ALPA has a conflict of interest between the regional carriers and the main line carriers. How can they allow better scope at the main line knowing it will cost jobs at the regionals? I think Delta pilots would do well with an independant union.

Jim

A reality I hope to someday see, ALPA cannot represent both the Regionals and the Legacies. And the "strength in numbers argument" is baseless. Unfortunetly ALPA is a continuing failure with no fix, but there is no alternative.

It would actually benefit all airline pilots if there was a seperate union for the regionals and the legacies, but ALPA is too selfish.

Latest resources

Back