• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Contract 2012

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There seems to be a growing sentiment in that direction.

Just curious, but what exactly do you guys feel ALPA is doing to protect the regionals and the flying associated with them. I can tell you for a FACT, that from my seat at ASA, I've seen nothing, nor do I want anything.

Frankly, I hope you guys recapture it- it's the only stability the "regional" industry will ever know...............

It should be interesting and we will see if we have a contract by the amendable date. Seems to be a desire for that.

Jumpers, I agree. Locking down scope and improving the mainline will return the desire to work here. When that happens the natural flow will start again. A regional will be a stop over and no longer a career. As it should be.

Just curious, but what exactly do you guys feel ALPA is doing to protect the regionals and the flying associated with them.....

The trend over the last decade as been for regional airlines to receive a higher proportion of brand X flying with ever larger aircraft -- a trend initiated by various managements with ALPA as a passive enabler. That's indirect "protection."

The sentiment I'm talking about at DL is this: There is a lot of animosity amongst Delta pilots concerning the fact that we contributing more financially to Herndon than we receive in support, while National seems to bend over backwards to bring more regional -- sorry, "express" -- pilots into the fold. We are supporting our own replacements.

The trend over the last decade as been for regional airlines to receive a higher proportion of brand X flying with ever larger aircraft -- a trend initiated by various managements with ALPA as a passive enabler. That's indirect "protection."

I'm curious why you brand ALPA a "passive enabler" in the loss of your branded flying.

Mainline pilots willingly sold small jet scope from the early 90s through the post-9/11 world, allowing increasingly more and larger "small jets" until BK rolled around and even more "large small jets" were permitted.

Of course in BK pilot groups had a legal gun to their head...but why blame ALPA when your contract, even the one negotiated in BK, had to be ratified by the pilot group? Could you not have sold something other than your scope?

Personally, I'd love it if DAL (and every other airline) could recapture scope back down to 51+ seats...but let's be realistic - that's not going to happen. And its not going to happen because even if management was willing to discuss it your pilots won't be willing to expend the required negotiating capital to get there.

I hope I'm wrong...:0

I would be all for taking back every aircraft above 50 seats, but it will never happen. Once you give away flying, it is gone. If someone can give me an example of anyone ever taking back scope I would love to hear it.

We could maybe limit or decrease the number of RJs, but the seat limit of 76 seats will not change. Too many obstacles to actually taking an aircraft category back to the mainline.

HELL NO!!!! Start thinking about pay raises of about 30-40 percent with scope lock-down, same work rules for reserve pilots, 5:15 min for ALL duty days whether flying or not, first-class for all deadheads, crew meals on all flights greater than 3 hours, more vacation/year, better commuting policy, etc. The list goes on and on. We need to fix this abortion of a contract that CAL is trying to use against its pilots.

No shat! 15 percent? what the buck are you thinking?....How about contract 2000 plus 12 years of cola as an end result. So start negotiations at 150 percent of that so you have some give back room, anything less and we are chumps. You said it hockey!

I'm curious why you brand ALPA a "passive enabler" in the loss of your branded flying.

Here's why: In a perfect world, ALPA would establish ironclad scope for all major airlines (all jets, or any aircraft greater than 50 seats ...) just as they would establish minimum pay rates for all aircraft. But in a competetive landscape, as soon as one major pilot group caves on scope, the others feel a great deal of pressure to follow. It all falls on the lap of ALPA national for failing to act like a union.

As long as we're a "loose affiliation of locals," why not get even looser and go all the way to an independant union that looks out for its own pilots?

The fact that the Delta pilots were one of the first to cave on RJ's is something we'll have to live with.

Last edited:
Here's why: In a perfect world, ALPA would establish ironclad scope for all major airlines (all jets, or any aircraft greater than 50 seats ...) just as they would establish minimum pay rates for all aircraft. But in a competetive landscape, as soon as one major pilot group caves on scope, the others feel a great deal of pressure to follow. It all falls on the lap of ALPA national for failing to act like a union.

So the pilot groups and their pilots that ratify such concessions bear no responsibility whatsoever?

Latest resources

Back