• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta continues International Expansion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If Dubai is so great, what are you doing slumming around on Flightinfo? Don't you have some sort of expatriate website to check out? :)

Typhoon has done a lot to give people the other side (non-pprune) of life at EK.

If you can hack the ex-pat lifestyle, it's better than Delta, IMO. If you really NEED to have access to a Waffle House, then, by all means, apply to Delta. TC

Mooney,

Pan Am had no domestic feed until they tried to get some by purchasing National. By then it was too late. Delta is simply rebalancing assets...we used to only get 20% of our revenue from international. Now to goal is 40-50% with a well diversified mix of destinations throughout the world. Having all of our eggs in one basket is bad, especially with what has become of the basic domestic market.

Typhoon,

No kidding our US products are generally inferior service-wise. Unfortunately we can't fire the Flight Attendants at 30 any longer (ala Signapore Airlines and countless others). We also aren't propped up with government subsidies either, like a few of our EU friends. I wish we had all the great amenities that Emerites and other airlines have, but it would probably be wasted on the American consumer....everybody wants something for nothing in this country...and thanks to Airlines like Skybus, and soon-to-be Virgin USA, they sometimes get it. We are getting TVs in our 737s starting this fall, however. That has to be worth something. :)

Is getting "propped up" in BK for 2 yrs similar to EU friends getting "propped up" with gov't help?

Well I cant speak for TP but I am sure he will apply if DAL are offering subsidized pvt education for three kids, free housing and utilities, chauffeur driven car service to and from all work related activities, annual bonuses, annual cost of living pay raise, forex protection, access to Atlanta's pvt beach clubs, healthy retirement fund...starting pay of 77k (tax free) on a widebody (95ish 777's on the way with 48 A380's to follow - not much upgrade potential there with the doubling of the fleet in the nxt three and a half years - fleet will be 219 by 2011 add to that the big order rumor for up to 100 787's or A350's), six wks annual vacay first year.....oh never mind

But I know, I know you have to live in Dubai....instead of that beacon of cosmopolitan excitement...the ATL

fv

Does he have to ask the Dubai government for permission to leave Dubai/UAE to go on vacation? Can EK managment change the terms of his or any contract on a whim? Are Americans embraced with open arms in that part of the world? Just want to get some clarification.

Quimby,

Actually its not the same at all, anyone that has lived through an airline bankruptcy can tell you that. I've been through two of them, and thats enough for me.

Typhoon,

Took me a minute to get your PI-lot joke....good one!

Why does everyone assume that all Delta pilots live in Atlanta anyway?

Does he have to ask the Dubai government for permission to leave Dubai/UAE to go on vacation? = No

Can EK managment change the terms of his or any contract on a whim? = No more than a U.S. major can eliminate the pension plan or force a 50% pay cut. Woops, I guess that means yes. For instance this year they unilaterally decided to increase the basic pay 6% and add a flight pay component resulting in another 10%. :)

Are Americans embraced with open arms in that part of the world? Just want to get some clarification. = Well, I've never had any major problems due to my nationality.

Typhoonpilot

Last edited:
Does he have to ask the Dubai government for permission to leave Dubai/UAE to go on vacation? Can EK managment change the terms of his or any contract on a whim? Are Americans embraced with open arms in that part of the world? Just want to get some clarification.

For further 'clarification' on EK. Attached is an article about a study conducted by the Boston Consulting Group.

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07/05/28/10128161.html

fv

Latest resources

Back