• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta continues International Expansion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well I cant speak for TP but I am sure he will apply if DAL are offering subsidized pvt education for three kids, free housing and utilities, chauffeur driven car service to and from all work related activities, annual bonuses, annual cost of living pay raise, forex protection, access to Atlanta's pvt beach clubs, healthy retirement fund...starting pay of 77k (tax free)

I hope the guys that have gone to Emirates and the likes have spoken to tax attorneys regarding the tax free stuff. Everything they provide you with is considered income as far as the IRS is concerned. The first 75 or 80k is tax free if you stay out of the US for 330 of 365 consecutive days.

The IRS has been cracking down on all this international stuff. So while you may get 77k tax free the other 110k worth of bennies will cost you about 35k to the IRS when you get back.....be very very careful.

My Dad has been working in the middle east and other parts of the world since the late 70's and recently even his accountant makes sure his housing allowance is included in his income for tax purposes.

Just a note of caution...

Mooney,

Pan Am had no domestic feed until they tried to get some by purchasing National. By then it was too late. Delta is simply rebalancing assets...we used to only get 20% of our revenue from international. Now to goal is 40-50% with a well diversified mix of destinations throughout the world. Having all of our eggs in one basket is bad, especially with what has become of the basic domestic market.

Typhoon,

No kidding our US products are generally inferior service-wise. Unfortunately we can't fire the Flight Attendants at 30 any longer (ala Signapore Airlines and countless others). We also aren't propped up with government subsidies either, like a few of our EU friends. I wish we had all the great amenities that Emerites and other airlines have, but it would probably be wasted on the American consumer....everybody wants something for nothing in this country...and thanks to Airlines like Skybus, and soon-to-be Virgin USA, they sometimes get it. We are getting TVs in our 737s starting this fall, however. That has to be worth something. :)

I'm glad to see Delta flying those routes. I was always wondering how many 767s they actually needed flying ATL to FL markets and even to Mobile, AL. It's a much better allocation for the planes, and they still have strong domestic feed.

As for EU airlines getting a boost, not anymore. That ended years ago. Lufthansa is a strong airline that doesn't force FAs to retire. They provide a far superior product. We just don't provide good service in the US anymore. BTW... do you call the tax breaks skybus is getting in OH a govt subsidy? or the tax breaks nwa and delta just got from MN and GA? Interesting to debate, I only point out that it's not fair to throw stones at EU airlines without doing a little research.

Delta has a great product, and its only getting better.

formerdal;1343401 I hope the guys that have gone to Emirates and the likes have spoken to tax attorneys regarding the tax free stuff. Everything they provide you with is considered income as far as the IRS is concerned. The first 75 or 80k is tax free if you stay out of the US for 330 of 365 consecutive days. The IRS has been cracking down on all this international stuff. So while you may get 77k tax free the other 110k worth of bennies will cost you about 35k to the IRS when you get back.....be very very careful. My Dad has been working in the middle east and other parts of the world since the late 70's and recently even his accountant makes sure his housing allowance is included in his income for tax purposes. Just a note of caution...[/quote said:
Some small corrections. It's the first $82,400 of foreign earned income that is excluded from taxes. Then roughly $13,000 of the housing value as well. On top of that you still get all your normal deductions. So it takes well over $100,000/year in income to have to pay a penny in tax.

You are not required to be in another country for 330 days out of 365 if you are a resident of another foreign country and spend the majority of your time there.

Good advice to talk to a CPA who is familiar with expat matters, but tax attorney's are generally useless. The one and only time I used one he cost me $10,000 in taxes that I didn't have to pay. Turbo Tax actually works quite well for foreign earned income and the housing exclusion.

TP

Tp...

TP..

Glad you like it over there in Dubai...For most of us who WORK to LIVE and not LIVE to WORK...you couldn't pay us enough to do the kind of job you are doing. However, I am grateful that Emirrriitts (sp? ) has a good ol USofA flying their metal and pax around.

Now if I were single, maybe some difficulty meeting hot chicks stateside...where do I sign up?

Cessnapilot,

If we researched everything we post on this board, it wouldn't be flightinfo. We here in the USA can't be bothered with a lot of "facts"....it confuses us. ;)

Cessnapilot,

If we researched everything we post on this board, it wouldn't be flightinfo. We here in the USA can't be bothered with a lot of "facts"....it confuses us. ;)

I don't know what I was thinking. I feel so stupid! I am sooo bored that I'm spending WAY too much time looking on FI... I need to get my life back.

Hate to say it, but these grannies will kill your international premium service and in turn yields faster than anything else.
Shut up idiot. Airlines are a cattle call business. You can toot your horn all you want but price is king. US Airlines will never compete with asian or any other countries service. The cultures are too different...

Shut up idiot. Airlines are a cattle call business. You can toot your horn all you want but price is king. US Airlines will never compete with asian or any other countries service. The cultures are too different...

Cultures and laws.

Latest resources

Back