• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Connection Academy...THOUGHTS????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta Connection Academy what do you rate it?

• Good

Votes: 45 14.7%
  • Bad

Votes: 207 67.6%
  • Average

Votes: 54 17.6%

• Total voters
buffettck said:
I'll agree with you about the instructors (I was one) at DCA... They pre-flight/taxi in fear every day concerning the "dreaded" FAA ramp check. Not because they weren't current or proficient, but because of the Delta Connection Academy AIRCRAFT status/condition.

Many, many times, the numbers DCA recorded on the aircraft dispatch "cans" were NOT accurate. The instructors didn't always have time to check and "re-do" the math on those tired old airplanes... Overflown inspections/times, etc... But, oh God... if the FAA finds a discrepancy?

DCA policy. Boom...shoot/kill the instructor. Never happened to me, but I saw it done to others...and the stories from my CFI/II instructors are bone chilling...certificates yanked, etc. There goes that "Guaranteed Interview"... Must not make Mother Delta Communist scam-Ademy look bad...

I was FAA ramp checked as a DCA instructor and, thankfully, passed with no problems...part of the FAA "random" process. It's no fun to be put through the "ringer" after three flights and get stopped on the line by a car with twirling yellow lights...just because you work for DCA...and the FAA was homing in on them...

Those "random" FAA ramp check inspections sure seemed to happen a LOT at DCA...

The Falcon Flight or Avion instructors I knew at SFB didn't have that problem... :rolleyes:

An incoming student would think with all that FAA scrutiny that DCA has the safest aircraft in the CFI fleet... Believe me, they don't...

There have been ALOT of people over flying AD's lately. Its retarded, it takes what.. 1 minute to do the math and check the POS planes are "ok" to fly. My favorite write up so far has been "Right main landing gear on a/c had to be moved forward 5 or 6 inches." I wonder what happened there... A 152 crashed lately too. All we know it the engine quit.

buffettck said:
I'll agree with you about the instructors (I was one) at DCA... They pre-flight/taxi in fear every day concerning the "dreaded" FAA ramp check. Not because they weren't current or proficient, but because of the Delta Connection Academy AIRCRAFT status/condition.

Many, many times, the numbers DCA recorded on the aircraft dispatch "cans" were NOT accurate. The instructors didn't always have time to check and "re-do" the math on those tired old airplanes... Overflown inspections/times, etc... But, oh God... if the FAA finds a discrepancy?

DCA policy. Boom...shoot/kill the instructor. Never happened to me, but I saw it done to others...and the stories from my CFI/II instructors are bone chilling...certificates yanked, etc. There goes that "Guaranteed Interview"... Must not make Mother Delta Communist scam-Ademy look bad...

I was ramp checked as a DCA instructor and, thankfully, passed with no problems...part of the FAA "random" process. It's no fun to be put through the "ringer" after three flights and get stopped on the line by a car with twirling yellow lights...just because you work for DCA...and the FAA (MCO FSDO) was homing in on them...

Those "random" ramp check inspections sure seemed to happen a LOT at DCA... :rolleyes:

The Falcon Flight or Avion instructors I knew at SFB didn't have that problem...

An incoming student would think with all that FAA scrutiny that DCA has the safest aircraft in the CFI fleet... Believe me, they don't...
cmon scott. How many places do you know that won't toss your ass for violating an AD? I don't know of many. And checking the hobbs is not that tough. I do it every night still. Look up the definition of PIC and you'll see why most companies will throw you to the dogs in that scenario. I understand your concerns about the place, but trust me, you've made your point. You don't have to be that far fetched to sell your crap.

From a business standpoint they do their job very well. They are here to sell a product, that they do very well. But the product sucks. Im posting this in the ran down LRC with busted ass parts all over. Would I ever do it again here, not a chance.

Okay, where to start. Must we remember DCA is a business. If their product sucked so much as people claim (myself included) how are they still in operation? We can all bash and bad-mouth DCA, Embry Riddle, and other academies and schools but people will be willing to fork over the money to live out their dream. DCA sells their product well and it is bigger than some knuckleheads(myself included) on a internet message board to get them to get their act together. Their international contracts are at enormous numbers and the last incoming class had bigger numbers then they expected. Now as far as the MANY PEOPLE OVERFLYING THE AD'S, I'm going to call B.S. on that one. SSMOWS6, I take it that you are a student so the information you get is probably rumorville. If you really don't know you shouldn't spread gossip. There was an incident with the AD's about 6 months ago. But when you say lately all these AD incidents are occuring I have to tell you that you are wrong. Last but not least is the ramp checks. I've been there a little over one year and never have been ramped checked or even ever heard of anyone being ramped checked. Not saying that it didn't happen it just sounds a little fishy to me. You were there for a few months and had more than one?

I feel for you that management took that position with you for being ramped checked. Not all is well with those guys(management). PM me and tell me what your experince was like. I would truly like to know.

Was gonna start but..

Wow. I'm new here and this is the first thread that caught my eye for the simple fact that I was going to register for classes on monday and start DCA (at their school in Miami) in May. Heck, I even recieved my first installment check from the bank for $23,994. This is my FIRST post. It took me 2 days to read through and process all that was being said about the school. At first, I took it all in with a grain of salt thinking it was just a bunch of disgruntled ex students. But I gotta tell you, I think i'm just gonna go another route. I love aviation, it's what I've always wanted to do. After reading what has been said about the institution, I really don't think it would be worth it. Doesn't even seem like the F/O at a regional would be hard to get going another (cheaper) route. Even part 61. They told me that it was gonna cost me around $50,000 to get it all done. Doesn't seem possible according to you guys. I could get it done at a 61 and just do my IFR 141 somewhere else and come in with all my cert at around 30k. Seems more feasible. It doesn't even seem like I would get a job through theses guys anyway. THAT WOULD SUCK if I paid that kinda money and had nothing to show for it. Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I think this thread saved me 50k. :beer:

23K sounds a little extreme. I got through at about 13K. How was the VR-IR program?? How many hours did it take? Instrument was my only hang up when it came to learning the NDB's.

I can see spending 13K on PVT there if you are having problems. That is the saddest thing you can see there..The immature 18-21 year old just out of Highschool or getting the wild hair up their %^# that they want to be a pilot. If you are going to choose DCA then you should be completely focused on the training. Some guys/girls just arent ready for that type of regiment. I was a student from June 04' to July 05' basicaly 0 to CFII

Latest resources

Back