• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta CEO on the CRJ-200 cuts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 70 aircraft mentioned in the new Delta contact haven't even been built yet and will come online over the next three years so staffing won't be an issue. Comair's planes will need crews October first. Are Pinnacle's pilots dual qualified? Differences training only takes a day or two. My bet its that Comair's planes go to Pinnacle and Pinnacle drops 200's to accommodate the change.

The 70 aircraft mentioned in the new Delta contact haven't even been built yet and will come online over the next three years so staffing won't be an issue. Comair's planes will need crews October first. Are Pinnacle's pilots dual qualified? Differences training only takes a day or two. My bet its that Comair's planes go to Pinnacle and Pinnacle drops 200's to accommodate the change.

Maybe the 900's.. Not the 700's.

Delta doesn't have to trade 700's and 900's to eliminate Pinnacles 200's. They do have to trade to eliminate Skywest Inc's. If they want to get down to the 125, they can take Pinnacles 200's, and use Comairs as bait to eliminate some of Skywest's. Now, once that's done, Pinnacle and Gojet may get all the 70 new 76 sealers as the lowest bidder.

320-Comair and Pinnacles 200's equals about 160 50 seaters in the Delta system. How many 900's and 700's does Comair have? 30? A 1:1 trade with the stubborn (smart) sky west. Now they are down to 130 50 seaters on the way to 125 in the Delta contract. If in the end they do give Pinnacle the new aircraft mentioned in the Delta contract, then it will be about a 2:1 trade back. Which would give post bankruptcy Pinnacle about 110 CRJ 900's. the most junior pilot at Pinnacle will have a seniority number of 1200. That is about a 10 year ex mesaba pilot or 7-8 year Pinnacle pilot or a 6-7 year colgan Pilot. That being said....What is the future hold for Pinnacle? Unless attrition is sky high, with its proposed terrible bankruptcy contract, QOL, health care program, 401K, and bases-who will want to come work there when upgrade times are measured in years while at other carriers will be measured in months? If Pinnacle does not get the Delta contract 900's then the most Jr FO's at Pinnacle will be 15 year pilots. That is a Comair scenario and that obviously does not work.

Delta will want at a min 3 airlines flying the 200's.. They have to keep there "rate reset" game going...my guess on 200 in the end will be Sky=25-30 ASA= 50=60 and 9E=35-50. Then you can see how they will dish out the 900's if you include the OO birds thats 100 up for grabs. 30-35 each... The wild card is what can Republic/GoJet/Compas pull out of there hats...

Pinnacle is now the new Comair. They are pretty much a wholly owned now that Delta controls their financing. The bullseye is finally off of us. Feels good actually. Good luck to 9E. I am sure they will offer up our planes as bait!

Delta will want at a min 3 airlines flying the 200's.. They have to keep there "rate reset" game going...my guess on 200 in the end will be Sky=25-30 ASA= 50=60 and 9E=35-50. Then you can see how they will dish out the 900's if you include the OO birds thats 100 up for grabs. 30-35 each... The wild card is what can Republic/GoJet/Compas pull out of there hats...

Keep up, SkyWest has long term contacts for all of their 200's, that's 150, 25 more than the contract allows. Delta will have to buy out the contract and assume the leases if they want to park those planes.

I know it's troubling with the downsizing of the regional fleet, guys will temporarily lose their jobs; I have been there; I know what it's like for an airline to shutdown and put you on the street; I know the emotion, the fear, the uncertainty.

But there is a silver lining to all of this.

It may mean the the majors are going to start to retake their flying.

This means growth and jobs at the majors. 9/11, two recessions, the age 65 rule and the fact that the majors continued to shrink over the last decade while giving their flying away to the regionals has crushed the major's job market.

There are not supposed to be 10+ year regional pilots and 10 year upgrade times in what was supposed to be a stepping stone to get to the majors.

Hopefully more majors will follow suit and reclaim their flying. Then we all can move on to hire pay, better work rules, and a better life.

Latest resources

Back