• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta attendance policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks to all, just tad bit of paranoia about doing the right thing, I'm driving my wife crazy already.

Yea dude don't worry about it or it could ruin your interview.......JUST REMEMBER THIS.....practice over and over again how you will SIMPLY and QUICKLY explain it WITH NO EXCUSES. I screwed up my first interview by acting like you did and the second I did not. Needless to say I got the second interview.

That is a question which I think is illegal to ask. At least the part about being sick. And the being late part you can lie about unless you went into the boss's office and signed off on disciplinary action.

They make you sign a release that they can look into sick and medical records. No sign, no interview.

My question to the original poster would be: do you really want to work for an airline that will give you the third degree about calling in sick in an interview when they don't even question their own pilots? It's only to raise your stress level in the interview. Same goes for Delta's "cognitive tests" ans psychologist evaluation. That's pretty crappy.

They make you sign a release that they can look into sick and medical records. No sign, no interview.

My question to the original poster would be: do you really want to work for an airline that will give you the third degree about calling in sick in an interview when they don't even question their own pilots? It's only to raise your stress level in the interview. Same goes for Delta's "cognitive tests" ans psychologist evaluation. That's pretty crappy.

They don't give you the third degree about calling in sick. It is a couple of simple questions about your attendance. No big deal. By the way, I think its good that they don't even question their own pilots. Don't you? Much better than the way ASA treats their pilots about calling in sick.

Got the invite email, but a little concerned with 1 sick and 2 out of positions in last year. I definitely will fess up, but does this probably finish my interview. Thanks for serious responses. On both out of positions, I continued to base and flew later in that day. Thanks

They're just looking for severe deviations from the norm to weed out dirtbags who think it's their right to be hired and the company is lucky if they show up for their trips.

Like Puff said above don't volunteer, be honest if it's brought up, be respectful, positive, and a good guy to hang out with on a 4-day trip. Good luck!

At my DAL interview I got asked...

1) Why I had my last flight listed as a C5 flight? (am in the NYANG and had flown an airshow the previous weekend)

2) How come I flew so much with the Guard? (explained that I did it on my days off) (also had a letter from my boss stating how I did mil duty on my own time, very rarely did it on company time and even then I tried to make it up on days off!)

3) Got asked WHEN AM I LEAVING THE GUARD!
(Showed them my letter of 20 years service and that my enlistment was over in 2009)

4) How many times I was available to be junior manned. (Stated than I rarely accepted a junior manning assignment because I lived in NYC but was based in RIC. Those assignments were usually last minute deals that I couldn't accept.)

5) Why I had a 3 2-month breaks in flying these past 5 years. (one was a 2 month activation, the other 2 were due to a knee injury and a follow up surgery for said knee)

6) What my salary was at a CFI job back in the 90's.. and how I was able to survive on that! (told them I though it was X$ an hour and survived cause I did some guard duty on weekends and watched my budget!)

7) Why and if I gave 2 week notice when I left DAL in 95. (I did and I left to get my ratings and start flying full time along with looking for a full time job with health benefits. I was part time doing 30 hours a week with no benefits at DAL)

Needless to say.. didn't get hired.
Still not sure why and was told I can never re-apply! Funny thing is, was told I passed all the tests, but failed the interview. LOL
And I worked for DAL back in the 90's for a few years.. in ops and the Chief Pilots office.

Suffice it to say, there's no rhyme or reason why one person get's hired and another one doesn't. Just remember.. they are not your friends at the interview. NEVER let your guard down. Kinda like management!~

Have alot of friends there, and also know of a few new hires recently... it is what it is. Probably still a great time to get on with them.
I got on with the competition across the river, flying similar equipment overseas. And Happy I Did!!!

Good Luck
motch

It is a couple of simple questions about your attendance.
And those simple questions are illegal if they include sick calls. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before someone that's turned down has the balls to challenge them on it. I'd love to see the EEOC and the civil courts get a hold of this one.

And those simple questions are illegal if they include sick calls. Hopefully it's only a matter of time before someone that's turned down has the balls to challenge them on it. I'd love to see the EEOC and the civil courts get a hold of this one.

Someone that is turned down lately can probably count their lucky stars.

At my DAL interview I got asked...

1) Why I had my last flight listed as a C5 flight? (am in the NYANG and had flown an airshow the previous weekend)

2) How come I flew so much with the Guard? (explained that I did it on my days off) (also had a letter from my boss stating how I did mil duty on my own time, very rarely did it on company time and even then I tried to make it up on days off!)

3) Got asked WHEN AM I LEAVING THE GUARD!
(Showed them my letter of 20 years service and that my enlistment was over in 2009)

4) How many times I was available to be junior manned. (Stated than I rarely accepted a junior manning assignment because I lived in NYC but was based in RIC. Those assignments were usually last minute deals that I couldn't accept.)

5) Why I had a 3 2-month breaks in flying these past 5 years. (one was a 2 month activation, the other 2 were due to a knee injury and a follow up surgery for said knee)

6) What my salary was at a CFI job back in the 90's.. and how I was able to survive on that! (told them I though it was X$ an hour and survived cause I did some guard duty on weekends and watched my budget!)

7) Why and if I gave 2 week notice when I left DAL in 95. (I did and I left to get my ratings and start flying full time along with looking for a full time job with health benefits. I was part time doing 30 hours a week with no benefits at DAL)

Needless to say.. didn't get hired.
Still not sure why and was told I can never re-apply! Funny thing is, was told I passed all the tests, but failed the interview. LOL
And I worked for DAL back in the 90's for a few years.. in ops and the Chief Pilots office.

Suffice it to say, there's no rhyme or reason why one person get's hired and another one doesn't. Just remember.. they are not your friends at the interview. NEVER let your guard down. Kinda like management!~

Have alot of friends there, and also know of a few new hires recently... it is what it is. Probably still a great time to get on with them.
I got on with the competition across the river, flying similar equipment overseas. And Happy I Did!!!

Good Luck
motch

I would bet that those questions about your Guard service are illegal, or at least the road they were walking down was ...

Maybe a USERRA expert could chime in.

I would bet that those questions about your Guard service are illegal, or at least the road they were walking down was ...

Maybe a USERRA expert could chime in.

Not sure, but if people start going there then Delta will do what CAL does and hire very few military guys so they just don't have to deal with it. CAL saves tons of money by hiring guys who won't go out for half the month on mil leave. I don't think its right, but I understand why they do it. Delta is just trying to figure out who is gonna work for them and not use the system to get extra time off via mil leave or sickation.

Latest resources

Back