Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta asks employees to help pay for Fuel!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They are talking about fuel for one specific plane - "The Spirit of Delta". . . whatever that plane's purpose is I don't know. . .

T-Gates said:
The "Spirit of Delta" is the above employee purchached 767-200 that bafanguy referred to.
Perhaps they should get in on the ABX deal before the ink dries. . .

bafanguy said:
Sadly, that's pretty much the case lately. However, the Delta Poineers are a group of retirees, older people who perhaps have memories of a different Delta and are still operating in that frame of mind; sometimes these good feelings die hard. It's obviously a token gesture with good intent but is pretty hard to believe. I wouldn't be too hard on them. It's difficult to see what has become of a once great airline after giving them your working lifetime.

You may remember many years ago when the DL employees bought a 767 out of their own pockets. I can remember the prevailing attitude back then was you were a bed-wetting, communist child molester if you didn't kick in.

Things sure have changed...

A very good friend of mine's father worked at Delta for over 30 years (ground-side). Retired in the early 90's. He absolutely loved that company. From what I understand there was a real proud team atmosphere there.

I grew up around Northwest airlines. Can anyone (who is familiar) imagine the NW employee's EVER buying NW an airplane? I laugh just thinking about it. Goes to show you the differences in company culture.

Redmeat said:
I grew up around Northwest airlines. Can anyone (who is familiar) imagine the NW employee's EVER buying NW an airplane? I laugh just thinking about it. Goes to show you the differences in company culture.

I think most of the DAL employees laugh when they think about it now. Of course, then they get rid of the -200's Spirit will probably have to go too.

Can any of you please donate to my fuel fund! I thank you in advance.

Redmeat said:
A very good friend of mine's father worked at Delta for over 30 years (ground-side). Retired in the early 90's. He absolutely loved that company. From what I understand there was a real proud team atmosphere there.

That spirit has been beaten down by some interesting managers. Ron Allen with his 7 cent program and Leo Mullin with is off shore BK proof pension.

But it is still a friendlier place now, so I hear, than AA, NWA and Airtran. The company still treats the pilots with respect. But, IMHO, the senior pilots have squandered that respect. 2500 have left in the last 14 months, according to the General, and they have taken $2 Billion with them. This is after the big retirments in 2002 and 2003. The rest of the pilots, 6,000 or so, are paying the price for the 3,000 who have taken their money and run.

Last edited:
FlyBoeingJets said:
. . .<snip>. . But, IMHO, the senior pilots have squandered that respect. 2500 have left in the last 14 months, according to the General, and they have taken $2 Billion with them. This is after the big retirments in 2002 and 2003. The rest of the pilots, 6,000 or so, are paying the price for the 3,000 who have taken their money and run.
What would you have done if you were in their position? I understand where you're coming from, but good intentions and being a team player didn't help the United folks when it came to their pension.

Latest resources

Back