Delta asks employees to help pay for Fuel!

Airboss

Total Time
-from the Delta intranet.

Fund to help pay for fuel September 9, 2005

The Executive Board of the Delta Pioneers has voted to establish a fund through the Delta Employees Credit Union that will be used only for fuel. Anyone may make a donation of any amount. Deductions from pensions, paychecks, savings and checking may be set up through the DECU. Individual donations also are welcome. Checks should be payable to the Delta Pioneers Inc.

Cardinal

Of The Kremlin
Total Time
K's
YGBSM!! This while they're sponsoring the Gay Pride Parade? Unbelievable.

CA1900

Big Member
Total Time
11000+
You know, Southwest did the same thing in 1991, and again shortly after the 9/11 attacks. And you know what? Employees did it, because they had trust that their management knew what it was doing.

It'll be interesting to see how it works out for Delta. :D :D :D

Superpilot92

LONGCALL KING
Total Time
Dunno?
Raise ticket prices. Freaking idiots

SDF2BUF2MCO

Bird Nerd
Total Time
Adding
Sounds like a joke but if not how about any or all these ideas to help raise cash?

Employee Bake Sale

Employee Car Wash

Sell candy or cookies

Stand at busy intersections with buckets and get change from the passersby

Problem solved. See all those courses at Moe, Larry, and Curly's college of biz mismanagement weren't a waste of time.

Well-hung Start

Total Time
noon
I got some ideas:

1) Hawk "lost-and-found" items on eBay. Then Delta can layoff a few employees and raise badly-needed cash.

2) Charge employees for parking.

3) Make a few turns in a hold, then pass the hat so passengers can chip in for fueling-up at a divert airport.

Maybe I shoulda been an airline exec!

On Your Six

Total Time
Do you know how to read???? Delta PIONEERS - Not Delta Inc.

Airboss said:
-from the Delta intranet.

Fund to help pay for fuel September 9, 2005

The Executive Board of the Delta Pioneers has voted to establish a fund through the Delta Employees Credit Union that will be used only for fuel. Anyone may make a donation of any amount. Deductions from pensions, paychecks, savings and checking may be set up through the DECU. Individual donations also are welcome. Checks should be payable to the Delta Pioneers Inc.

Another great title to a thread! No big surprise that people on this board would jump to conclusions and use a ridiculously misleading title.... Do you know what the Delta Pioneers organization is? My understanding is that it is a group of retirees - but I could be wrong. We are not talking about Delta Airlines management in this case - right? It's nice to know that some external organization is trying to help the situation... Although, it may be too late because I think Chap. 11 is right around the corner. It's time to restructure that debt....

Yet another misleading title to a thread.... People need to read the fine print. Lame!!!!!

bafanguy

Total Time
sandman2122 said:
Doesn't sound like the Delta employess "trust" anything management does.

Sadly, that's pretty much the case lately. However, the Delta Poineers are a group of retirees, older people who perhaps have memories of a different Delta and are still operating in that frame of mind; sometimes these good feelings die hard. It's obviously a token gesture with good intent but is pretty hard to believe. I wouldn't be too hard on them. It's difficult to see what has become of a once great airline after giving them your working lifetime.

You may remember many years ago when the DL employees bought a 767 out of their own pockets. I can remember the prevailing attitude back then was you were a bed-wetting, communist child molester if you didn't kick in.

Things sure have changed...

klhoard

Total Time
32000+
They are talking about fuel for one specific plane - "The Spirit of Delta". . . whatever that plane's purpose is I don't know. . .

klhoard

Total Time
32000+
T-Gates said:
The "Spirit of Delta" is the above employee purchached 767-200 that bafanguy referred to.
Perhaps they should get in on the ABX deal before the ink dries. . .

Redmeat

People Mover
Total Time
Ubecha
bafanguy said:
Sadly, that's pretty much the case lately. However, the Delta Poineers are a group of retirees, older people who perhaps have memories of a different Delta and are still operating in that frame of mind; sometimes these good feelings die hard. It's obviously a token gesture with good intent but is pretty hard to believe. I wouldn't be too hard on them. It's difficult to see what has become of a once great airline after giving them your working lifetime.

You may remember many years ago when the DL employees bought a 767 out of their own pockets. I can remember the prevailing attitude back then was you were a bed-wetting, communist child molester if you didn't kick in.

Things sure have changed...

A very good friend of mine's father worked at Delta for over 30 years (ground-side). Retired in the early 90's. He absolutely loved that company. From what I understand there was a real proud team atmosphere there.

I grew up around Northwest airlines. Can anyone (who is familiar) imagine the NW employee's EVER buying NW an airplane? I laugh just thinking about it. Goes to show you the differences in company culture.

Dizel8

Douglas metal
Total Time
Huh?
Hey Brother, can you spare a gallon?

atrdriver

Living in Paradise
Total Time
5000+
Redmeat said:
I grew up around Northwest airlines. Can anyone (who is familiar) imagine the NW employee's EVER buying NW an airplane? I laugh just thinking about it. Goes to show you the differences in company culture.

I think most of the DAL employees laugh when they think about it now. Of course, then they get rid of the -200's Spirit will probably have to go too.

Superpilot92

LONGCALL KING
Total Time
Dunno?
Can any of you please donate to my fuel fund! I thank you in advance.

FlyBoeingJets

YES, that's NICE
Total Time
>5000
Redmeat said:
A very good friend of mine's father worked at Delta for over 30 years (ground-side). Retired in the early 90's. He absolutely loved that company. From what I understand there was a real proud team atmosphere there.

That spirit has been beaten down by some interesting managers. Ron Allen with his 7 cent program and Leo Mullin with is off shore BK proof pension.

But it is still a friendlier place now, so I hear, than AA, NWA and Airtran. The company still treats the pilots with respect. But, IMHO, the senior pilots have squandered that respect. 2500 have left in the last 14 months, according to the General, and they have taken $2 Billion with them. This is after the big retirments in 2002 and 2003. The rest of the pilots, 6,000 or so, are paying the price for the 3,000 who have taken their money and run.

Last edited:

klhoard

Total Time
32000+
FlyBoeingJets said:
. . .<snip>. . But, IMHO, the senior pilots have squandered that respect. 2500 have left in the last 14 months, according to the General, and they have taken $2 Billion with them. This is after the big retirments in 2002 and 2003. The rest of the pilots, 6,000 or so, are paying the price for the 3,000 who have taken their money and run.
What would you have done if you were in their position? I understand where you're coming from, but good intentions and being a team player didn't help the United folks when it came to their pension.