Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta asks employees to help pay for Fuel!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyBoeingJets said:
. . .<snip>.. .

Be careful what you FedEx and UPS folks ask for during negotiations. Long term, defined benefits regardless of profitability seem to be very dangerous things.
Yes sir. . . you are correct. Personally, I don't want anything to do with a DB plan in the future. I would like it if when I retire I exchange my I.D. for a check. Thank you very much, have a nice life.
Or even better, just take the money they're currently "saving" for my A-plan (D.B. plan) and dump it into my B-fund. Forget the A-plan.

FlyBoeingJets said:
Good question. Knowing the train is coming and being willing or able to stop it are two different things. Sure, UAL guys were screwed. But I don't think the DAL pilots deserved $1 million + lump sums at retirement either. There should be some sort of middle ground. I know some very junior Delta guys that hate it now that they are on the hook to fly ALL THE TIME under PBS. Some are finding other lines of work and will never come back. AA guys are also not happy.

Be careful what you FedEx and UPS folks ask for during negotiations. Long term, defined benefits regardless of profitability seem to be very dangerous things.

Defined benefit pension plan that is in with our managers is VERY secure. If they try and screw us, they screw themselves and you and I know that ain't about to happen! That along with a very nice B plan and a perpetually profitable company adds up to a secure a future as you can have working for a non-governmental entity.

Last edited:
Superpilot92 said:
Raise ticket prices. Freaking idiots

Wow, another genius pilot who figured it all out. It's so simple. Just raise prices. Have you called your CEO to let him on on this industry saving, Earth shattering new development? Oh, wait, yeah, supply and demand might have something to do with this, oh, hold-on, heavy competition in an oversupplied market prevents higher ticket prices. Forget it, your idea won't work. Just fly the plane.

Pump Prices

Actually with pump prices as high as they are, I believe that the buying public wouldn't balk at a $20-40 price increase per ticket, maybe per leg.

If it cost them an extra $20/40 to fill their car/truck last week why would they hesitate to spend a little more on their airline ticket?.

Of course it's probably a stretch to assume the buying public uses logic and common sense when buying tickets.

Couldn't one of the carriers in BK [soon to be four of em] just go ahead and raise prices?? It won't hurt them as much as a solvent company, and the rest of the carriers would soon follow suit.

I know it is too simple, but everybody is paying the price at the pump, why not at the 'ticket counter' ??? Everybody is still buying gasoline, they are complaining, but still buying.

I personally believe it would work. I can't imagine that the buying public is going to not go on their family vacation,or not go see grandma and grandpa and tell the kids 'no vacation this year' over a $40 per ticket increase x 4 tickets = $160 dollars.

Hey !! Here is an idea. Lets have a price rollback sale. Something like this

......................................Price Rollback!!.......................................
....................Buy your airline tickets at Yesterday's prices!..................
..........................Tickets available at 1999 prices. !! .........................
.........................................Buy now !!...........................................

Which carrier is going to have the guts to hang on to a price increase even when their loads drop for a week or two, untill the rest of the industry goes along with the increase??? I would hope a carrier in BK would do it I'm assuming it would hurt them less than a solvent carrier. I don't fully understand what hurts or helps a company in BK, so I may be FOS.

Just my rambling thoughts B6guy

-9Capt said:
like it's that simple.

No its not that simple but screwing the pilots over and over while lowering ticket prices isnt the way to fix it either. Especially while MGMT gets a bonus and a nice retirement package. Honestly the whole situation sucks.

Latest resources

Back