• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta and SWA 717's a done deal?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Do you really expect this to be the same 5 years from now (culture, leadership, profitability, and way you are paid?)

You'll have to ask a more specific question-
I think we are going through many changes-
But I 200% agree that our culture can be as strong as ever- but it's up to us-

Yes, if you are talking hourly pay that is the case, but I am talking W2s. Even if we use hourly pay rates the percentages aren't that far off from what I was saying. By no means am I implying that Southwest pilot's are overly compensated. It is just that most of the rest are too far under for good moral and corporate culture to be a factor and offset that level of compensation. It's not even close unless you consider the premium freight haulers.

Don't take it personal. A lot of people do not know the difference.

* A motor converts electricity or other forms of kinetic energy into a mechanical motion *

* An engine is a mechanical device that uses a fuel source to create an output

It sounds like Aussieflyboy and ScoreboardII might have learned something.

Last edited:
It sounds like Aussieflyboy and ScoreboardII might have learned something.

Aussieflyboy knows that all engines and motors are really called "Donks". Scorboard II knows more than Darth Vader has forgotten. He once taught a German shepherd to bark in Spanish.

Word.

Latest rumor I heard on all of this was an announcement to come on Monday regarding the swap. 717's are going away. Delta pilot bids coming out in June for training on the aircraft. Also heard that all the paint contracts are being or have been canceled.

Again, rumors only, but they sounded legit enough to me. Choose to believe it or not, but either way the aircraft are as good as gone. Smart move by SWA...sell a fairly economical, proven jet to our closest competitor making them even more lean and able to fly right-sized aircraft to more competing markets. :confused: Whatever. See you guys in OAK next year. I'm sure the commute will be lovely.

Latest rumor I heard on all of this was an announcement to come on Monday regarding the swap. 717's are going away. Delta pilot bids coming out in June for training on the aircraft. Also heard that all the paint contracts are being or have been canceled.

Again, rumors only, but they sounded legit enough to me. Choose to believe it or not, but either way the aircraft are as good as gone. Smart move by SWA...sell a fairly economical, proven jet to our closest competitor making them even more lean and able to fly right-sized aircraft to more competing markets. :confused: Whatever. See you guys in OAK next year. I'm sure the commute will be lovely.

I wouldn't worry about it - I'm pretty sure the numbers don't lie when considering what makes good business sense. Fuel burn on a heavy (1st hour out) 717 from MSP to ATL yesterday was 5050 pounds at cruise FL320 with 110 on board. I would bet on the 737 it's less than 5050 with 20 more on board and at FL410.

As for losing your Cpt seat.......now that I would worry. Like mom said life is unfair.

As for losing your Capt seat.......now that I would worry.

Capt seat? I just laughed out loud. I'm behind you on the list. It'll be the mid 2020's till the light is seen at the end of that tunnel. Though I do feel bad for the guys who were gonna get to keep it throughout the transition. Maybe they were who you were referring to. I'm a little slow this evening.

Like mom said life is unfair.

You got that right. Things will work out eventually. We need to grow and hire like crazy, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Ok so here is what your president BJ said when I ran in to him the other day.
The 717 in our network does not fit. Add the price of fuel (1 plus billion more we paid this year) to the equation it will not work over the long run. We are aggressively working a deal with Boeing if the airplanes are sold it will be a one for one swap with 737's. I did asked him directly if any jobs are going to be lost he said zero. I also asked if the 2015 deadline is solid as ever, his said more than ever.

On a side note I asked How many airplanes potential do we have to grow, if we hit 10-15% ROIC. He said two hundred plus!

The other thing is we are still paying down AT debts of 1 billion plus. We just paid 60 million recently. Our mgt is pretty smart you guys just don't see it or know it yet till you get here. I see because I make good coin great work environment and some job security.

AT had great revenue returns, but the price of fuel creep would put you guys in a world of hurt if we didn't already have the little synergies of the two companies right now.

No matter what everyone will be Swa by 2015, so no stress people.:)

Oh by the way BJ will be in ATL in the next week or two to talk to you guys and girls. For what it is worth.

Latest resources

Back