Delta and SWA 717's a done deal?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well you know everything don't you?
I don't separate compensation from culture- it is a part of it, in the form of kept promises, and equitable sharing of profits by those who earn them.
But don't fool yourself that SWA is anything close to any company that retains Ford and Harrison union busters. (which is both of those)

So does Delta and ASA. I'm just saying, without the pay, the culture really isn't important, and Southwest gets paid. Ford and Harrison are there to simply to reduce employee costs usually through avoiding unions.

Mr. Caveman,

While I see your point, but SWA was never the highest paid. It is only by default. I would only hope if we where ever paid second tier, that the culture would still live on.

Mr. Caveman,

While I see your point, but SWA was never the highest paid. It is only by default. I would only hope if we where ever paid second tier, that the culture would still live on.

I agree, but there were incremental pay raises along the way, while others took cuts. What I'm trying to get at is that when you're a co-pilot at another airline doing the same job as a co-pilot at southwest, making 1/3 the money, it doesn't matter how much free pizza and unpaid time off you get, the job just kinda sucks. The culture could be a drug induced bliss, it just doesn't matter at the end of the day.

I'm hoping my airline can raise the bar to at least the level of Southwest and that is going to give me the perception of a much greater culture at where I work.

Last edited:
In that example, I'd agree- bc making 1/3 would be exploiting the pilots and taking advantage of them- and by definition counter-culture-
Making less though and working your way to better contracts is a wholly different thing-
In that scenario we could make Jblu and AirTran wages and still be happy as we earn profits and better wages over time
It's what our predecessors did, what I hope not to do by earning my money now- but will if other pilots can't get their wages up and we become a money loser-
It's an important distinction- we don't want to get paid for not coming to work- and the pilots, mechanics, and FAs are the only employees working for industry leading wages- everyone else from GK to all the HQ people are not paid exceptionally well- and as tex said- we're only top paid bc of 9/11 and BKs- we all want to be a part of a company that deserves our best and are mostly lucky to say we do.
But I'd say you got a bit to learn about our culture

Last edited:
Do you know what the co-pilots at Air Tran, Jet Blue and US Air make? In many cases about half and probably down to a third. I really think if you went to that pay rate, you wouldn't be saying how great the culture is.

And you say I know nothing about Southwest? Your rates are due to consistant profitability and small raises over the years, not just the demise of legacy carriers and BK.

Last edited:
I always, only speak for myself-
Don't get me wrong, I'm here for the money- but I want it to be sustainable money- and no- AT and B6 are never 1/3 the money- and not half either at comparable YOS and position- we do have better schedules, and rigs that up the ante- but I'd bet no more than 50-70% better - not 100% as you'd imply- look up on APC- both companies have gotten raises in the past years
Yeah- Allegiant is the biggest disparity where we make 75% more+ the rigs-
Lots are paid way too little, but nobody flying 120+ seats is on food stamps-
(nice, elevated bar eh?)

Last edited:
I'd wager about half for a second year JetBlue 190 co-pilot, decreasing to less than half over the years. This is what I was facing. Then, I little over half for an Tranny co-pilot. Then closer to a third for a US Air 190 co-pilot.

I hope everyone else can come up and someone else can hold the bar without Southwest loosing a penny of pay. I am hopeful.

These aren't subjective -
From APC
2nd year FO
SWa$97 ~
AT=$70=>38% less
B6=$69- a320 =>41% less
$62-e190=> 56%
AAA= $57 group2=> 70% less
= $45 e190=> 115% less
Nk= $66=>47% less
Allegiant=$63=>54% less
F9=$64= 52% less

Meaning that AAA's 190 rate is the only one that is less than half our pay- and we all know why that is....
Most are about 2/3-3/4 of our pay if you understand math- throw in the progressive tax and it's not crazy differences until you're willing to fly your butt off and work the system-
But standard line holder comparisons- Swa is better but not the numbers you're throwing around

I too am always hopeful- but afraid that wages will not improve until pilots choose to support their career politically. Reality got me to start a business. Bc that I won't hold my breath for.

In that example, I'd agree- bc making 1/3 would be exploiting the pilots and taking advantage of them- and by definition counter-culture-
Making less though and working your way to better contracts is a wholly different thing-
In that scenario we could make Jblu and AirTran wages and still be happy as we earn profits and better wages over time
It's what our predecessors did, what I hope not to do by earning my money now- but will if other pilots can't get their wages up and we become a money loser-
It's an important distinction- we don't want to get paid for not coming to work- and the pilots, mechanics, and FAs are the only employees working for industry leading wages- everyone else from GK to all the HQ people are not paid exceptionally well- and as tex said- we're only top paid bc of 9/11 and BKs- we all want to be a part of a company that deserves our best and are mostly lucky to say we do.
But I'd say you got a bit to learn about our culture

Do you really expect this to be the same 5 years from now (culture, leadership, profitability, and way you are paid?)

Last edited:
Moral of the story is USAPA sucks and their selfish, futile, tantrum is dragging us all down

Latest resources

Back