• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta and SWA 717's a done deal?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is for the general public. The professionals know the difference. Next time you need a new fan motor for your air conditioner tell the repair man you need a new engine and see what he tells you. Start acting like you know what you are talking about. Remember the old saying : rather a man think I am a fool than open my mouth and remove all doubt".

For the general public? Who's putting who's foot in who's mouth now? A professional should be able to admit he's wrong when confronted with the Merriam Webster definition:

Definition of MOTOR

: one that imparts motion; specifically : prime mover

: any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as a : a small compact engine b : internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine c : a rotating machine that transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy

Don't hide behind your ego, it's OK to be wrong. Go ahead, say it.

Your using colloquialisms, thats OK, but not proper English.

In case you don't like Webster, try Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine

Never mud wrestle with an A&P and Aero Engineer, just saying.

Last edited:
You guys are trying, but you have to read the thread I posted-
I know pilots are competitive, but engineers are still the best geeks.

Do you know what the co-pilots at Air Tran, Jet Blue and US Air make? In many cases about half and probably down to a third. I really think if you went to that pay rate, you wouldn't be saying how great the culture is.

And you say I know nothing about Southwest? Your rates are due to consistant profitability and small raises over the years, not just the demise of legacy carriers and BK.

Your logic, is 180 degrees out.

I've been at SW since we were making a lot less than our cohorts.

Without a doubt, the "culture" (overall) is far worse NOW, than when we were near the bottom of the barrel pay wise. That said, it's still light years ahead of anywhere else I've worked....

It's never been about the pay. It's about the employee's perception of worth.

Last edited:
For the general public? Who's putting who's foot in who's mouth now? A professional should be able to admit he's wrong when confronted with the Merriam Webster definition:

Don't hide behind your ego, it's OK to be wrong. Go ahead, say it.

Your using colloquialisms, thats OK, but not proper English.

In case you don't like Webster, try Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine

Never mud wrestle with an A&P and Aero Engineer, just saying.

You win. I guess I cannot fly for your airline because I do not have a multi motor rating. Do you know where I can get a multi motor rating?

I know that I'm coming to the party late, but here's what *I* learned in engineering school:

-- a motor is a device that converts one type of energy into another, but specifically the output energy is in the form of a motive force, providing motion. Hence the name: Mot-or, from motive (movement) force. Most often in today's world, motors are electric, in that electric power is the input energy, and normally the output energy is in the form of rotational mechanical energy, used to turn (move) something. In this case, when you say 'motor,' you MEAN 'electric motor,' but you've just dropped the 'electric' part; it's assumed.

-- an engine is any device or system that converts one type of energy into another, not limited to any specific type of input or output energy. It may not even have any moving parts, i.e. a heat engine. On the other hand, it may have a lot of complicated parts, i.e. an internal combustion engine, turning chemical energy into any type of motive erergy, such as turning a crankshaft to move a car, or providing opposite-reaction thrust to propel an aircraft. In this case, the engine is also a motor, because its output energy is in the form of a motive force.

Therefore, all motors are engines (engine is a more broad definition), but not all engines are motors (motors being a specific subset of engines).

I think Waveflyer mentioned all this, with his geeks' discussions above, but hopefully this is a little easier to read. I gave up my own geekdom years ago, and try to speak in laymen's terms these days. By the way, who'd have thought that Waveflyer had his own geeks?!

Anyway, can we put this to bed now and concentrate on important stuff, like who's getting screwed by whose company, and whose rumor sounds the best?

Bubba

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back