• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Air Lines Orders Up to 70 Bombardier CRJ900 NextGen Jetliners

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A couple post talk as if 9e is cheaper then SkyWest... If that was the case then 9e would be able to keep the 16 aircraft going to SkyWest... I don't think the first 40 will go to SkyWest.. But 9e better watch out for a left hook from GoJet or Mesa....

The 16 900's were part of the deal for Skywest to park 66 of their 200's. (25 of which skywest owns) It has nothing to do with operating cost, the game is parking 50 seaters. It says right in the announcement the new 900's are there to park and swap/get rid of 200's.

The only people left with Delta owned 200's are 9E and Expressjet.

Latest rumor comes from a source in Delta's finance & accounting department--reliability unknown. Both Pinnacle and GoJets are in major financial trouble. Their financial plans were based on low-ball bids to begin with, but performance penalties have whittled their compensation down to unsustainable levels. Pinnacle's bankruptcy judge will not approve their plan to gut contracts, which he sees as financially unrealistic. Both Pinnacle and Gojets are probably unviable long term. The reason Delta sunk the $77 million or whatever into DIP financing for 9E had nothing to do with love or even whipsaw--Delta would have been fined by the DOT if service had been cut on so many routes at once (not to mention their own revenue losses they would have encountered). They just needed Pinnacle to survive short term for Delta's own financial well-being.

Supposedly ExpressJet will see 23 new 900s next year. American Eagle flying has a very good chance of massive expansion. Combining SkyWest and ASA may happen, but legacy Expressjet may be left swinging in the breeze. Supposedly their contract expectations are unreasonable, and the pilot group's militancy makes it a difficult cultural fit with the other two groups. They may very well be "Comairized," as "this isn't 1999 anymore."

I have no idea if any of this is credible--just passing it along.

Latest rumor comes from a source in Delta's finance & accounting department--reliability unknown. Both Pinnacle and GoJets are in major financial trouble. Their financial plans were based on low-ball bids to begin with, but performance penalties have whittled their compensation down to unsustainable levels. Pinnacle's bankruptcy judge will not approve their plan to gut contracts, which he sees as financially unrealistic. Both Pinnacle and Gojets are probably unviable long term. The reason Delta sunk the $77 million or whatever into DIP financing for 9E had nothing to do with love or even whipsaw--Delta would have been fined by the DOT if service had been cut on so many routes at once (not to mention their own revenue losses they would have encountered). They just needed Pinnacle to survive short term for Delta's own financial well-being.

Supposedly ExpressJet will see 23 new 900s next year. American Eagle flying has a very good chance of massive expansion. Combining SkyWest and ASA may happen, but legacy Expressjet may be left swinging in the breeze. Supposedly their contract expectations are unreasonable, and the pilot group's militancy makes it a difficult cultural fit with the other two groups. They may very well be "Comairized," as "this isn't 1999 anymore."

I have no idea if any of this is credible--just passing it along.

Good info. Sounds like XJT will get 23 900s and Skywest 17. Looks like SKYW 's plan to survive then thrive is being executed flawlessly.

The only info that sounds shaky is the L-XJT stuff. As I understand it all both sides are demanding is no concessions, and that PBS system is the only real issue left. I also heard the company was the one that slowed negotiations because it wanted to see results/effects of the Eagle and PNCL bankruptcy TAs

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

You heard this from a Delta accountant?! Wow! those accountants are amazing!

Well, I've got a lot of former ASA friends who will be happy to hear this news.

All just a guess, but if 9E does'nt get any of the 40. Im guessing they will still take the brunt of the 60 200's going away.. Not good... Maybe we will know tomorow...

ATLANTA, Dec. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

WHAT:
Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) invites stockholders, the investment community and the media to listen to a live webcast of its Investor Day Conference from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. EST on Dec. 12, 2012.

WEB ADDRESS:
The conference call can be accessed via the Internet at http://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-relations/analyst-coverage-and-webcasts.html

SPECIAL NOTICE:
An online replay will be available at the same site shortly after the webcast is complete until Jan. 18, 2013. The presentation materials will be made available Dec. 12 through a Form 8-K filing with the SEC and on www.delta.com.

You heard this from a Delta accountant?! Wow! those accountants are amazing!

I'm sure its all office gossip. Whether any of it has any validity is questionable, but I do know that the Comair liquidation first became known through the grapevine, while all the official sources were denying it. Just sayin'...some of it might be true.

Skywest inc/Xjt doesn't need help financing the aircraft. Delta is buying these so they can give them to someone else who can't get that financing.....Otherwise no reason to carry that debt on their books

Incorrect, Delta is used the purchase as leverage to work a deal to get the 50 seaters they own off their books. It's a debt neutral deal as Bombardier will take back 60 CR2s, and if Delta exercises their 30 options Bombardier takes back another 50 CR2s off Delta's books.

Delta management explained this on their last earnings call, I'll find the quote shortly.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Skywest inc/Xjt doesn't need help financing the aircraft. Delta is buying these so they can give them to someone else who can't get that financing.....Otherwise no reason to carry that debt on their books

Operator

We’ll take our next question from Michael Linenberg with Deutsche Bank.

Michael Linenberg - Deutsche Bank
Good morning, everyone. Two questions here. When we talked I guess it was Paul, you had talked about the fleet restructuring, Richard yourself as well, you talked about bringing on the 717s and the 737-900s. You also get the ability to add more, larger regional Jets, the 76-seaters and I believe you go from, I want to say, 255 up to 325. Are those airplanes going to be sourced from your current partners? Or will Delta be in the market? Will you be out there either putting those airplanes on your balance sheet or signing the master leases? And what’s the timing on that?

Ed Bastian
Well, we are in the process now of running a competition between Bombardier and Embraer and our expectation is that time around, by the end of the year we’ll have a pretty good idea of what direction we’re going to go. Our goal is to use that to take out a significant number of 50-seaters.

So we will look at all alternatives in terms of which balance sheet they end up on, the regional partner on Delta but when you think about it from a total liability perspective, what our goal is, is to take out the debt and significant costs that are part of owning all these 50-seaters. So when you think about say bringing in 40 76-seaters and taking out 60, 50-seaters, there’s a really good balance sheet and CASM trade there. So when you think about, regardless of where it ends up in terms of the balance sheet, we want to take a significant amount of debt off, to the extent we put that on, by buying 76-seaters.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/947411-delta-air-lines-ceo-discusses-q3-2012-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

Latest resources

Back