• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta aggressive with it's regional partners

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think this kind of stuff is going to push SKYW and RAH to want more control over routes/equipment they fly for their 'mainline partners'. Codeshare anyone?

Let's hope mainline pilots wrestle more scope control AWAY from managements and start to rebuild the mainline brand and service for the better with upcoming contracts. More mainline planes and less RJs mean better jobs for future mainline pilots that WERE RJ pilots. If you are senior and started a family during the slowdown after 9-11, either jump ship and start over like everyone else, or watch regionals get smaller like Comair, not get new larger planes thanks to tightening scope, and see overall conditions deteriorate. With airlines like Southwest coming to ATL, do you think it is smart to compete with RJs against their planes? No. So, don't be a chump, go for the job BUMP! Or you can be like John Peace and have no ambition and hope for larger planes to come to your own ramp someday. It just won't happen again John, unless SKW tries their own Indy Air. I highly advise that!

OYS

Last edited:
It may be better for the regional, but mainline wants first class seats and they're not putting them on a crj-200.

Mainline pilots will not vote to allow anymore 70/76 seaters. We've learned our lesson, and we aren't in BK or even close to it. There is a limit, and then it will stop, or go backwards and the number will get smaller.

OYS

Longer stage lengths are more productive and more profitable for the company and the pilot group.

Not at all as cut and dried/black and white as that. If a 200 is flying 8-10-12 legs a day, that's how many chances it had to manage that revenue

If a 200 is only flying 6-8 legs in a day, well, that's less chances that plane had to manage that revenue. Now toss in ticket pricing, if you assume that they were at least semi equal, what was more profitable? If the longer stage lengths were charging LESS than the short ones, what's more profitable?

Like I said, it's not really that easy to sum up. Toss in that the 200 may be going to smaller markets that are close to ATL and a company like ASA may be 1 of 2, or possibly the ONLY carrier serving the city. The ability for DAL to charge a hefty fare is pretty good.

Does skywest own Dal or Ual? Other wise he may not have a choice in the matter, hang on its gonna be a fun ride!!

Good point, but UAL does owe Jerry a hefty amount of money. And by the time UAL pays it off at the terms they agreed to, Jerry will be laughing in the end.

Mainline pilots will not vote to allow anymore 70/76 seaters. We've learned our lesson, and we aren't in BK or even close to it. There is a limit, and then it will stop, or go backwards and the number will get smaller.

OYS

We can only hope it's that way. But you'll ALWAYS have the seniority demographic screwing everything up. The senior pilots and the "I got mine" mentality. Sadly, it will NEVER go away in the this career. Couple that with carrots dangled in negotiations such as scope for a bigger retirement, and you can see what I'm getting at. Also, pilots seem to suffer from severe cases of amnesia. In other words, we seem to forget past mistakes. Case in point, the CRJ first arrives on the scene, bad. Never should have happened/been agreed to. Later, a big fat pay check is dangled for more RJ's, even worse, never should have happened.

Like I said, we can only hope what you said pans out. But given what mainline has done over the last 15 or so years during both the "glory days" and the worst times ever seen in the industry, I'll believe it all when I see it. Not before.

It may be better for the regional, but mainline wants first class seats and they're not putting them on a crj-200.

Im not advocating putting the 200 on flights of 750nm or more(Delta 1st class range requirement). We just need more flights in the 400-600 mile rage. More ATL-SHV/ATL-LFT type routes and less ATL-CSG/ATL-TYS stuff. I see with the recent pairings our CVG flying has increased and that should help with the stage lengths

Let's hope mainline pilots wrestle more scope control AWAY from managements and start to rebuild the mainline brand and service for the better with upcoming contracts. More mainline planes and less RJs mean better jobs for future mainline pilots that WERE RJ pilots. If you are senior and started a family during the slowdown after 9-11, either jump ship and start over like everyone else, or watch regionals get smaller like Comair, not get new larger planes thanks to tightening scope, and see overall conditions deteriorate. With airlines like Southwest coming to ATL, do you think it is smart to compete with RJs against their planes? No. So, don't be a chump, go for the job BUMP! Or you can be like John Peace and have no ambition and hope for larger planes to come to your own ramp someday. It just won't happen again John, unless SKW tries their own Indy Air. I highly advise that!

OYS

I believe very soon the regionals will be forced to shrink or go away completely because of a lack of staffing. While there will never be a shortage at the mainline carriers the regionals are going to have very very critical issues with pilot staffing.

I believe very soon the regionals will be forced to shrink or go away completely because of a lack of staffing. While there will never be a shortage at the mainline carriers the regionals are going to have very very critical issues with pilot staffing.
Thats what I think will happen in the future. The margin is too slim for regionals that they are never going to be able to increase pay and benefits to a level that will attract pilots when massive hiring ensues in the later part of the decade. Mainline may have the same problem finding qualified pilots once the regional pools start drying up but not anywhere near the same degree of whats going to happen at the regionals.

They can only shrink so much before reaching a sort of negative critical mass where it's just too costly to continue to operate. Size = savings.

I can't see outsourcing going away...it's too important a tool for mainline managements to control costs and manipulate labor.

Interesting times are ahead though, that's for sure.

The senior pilots and the "I got mine" mentality. Sadly, it will NEVER go away in the this career.

Very true and, moreover, also very true of senior regional pilots.

In the past, yes.

I seriously doubt the likes of Jerry Atkin, will just say ohh well... and take it up the you know what for too long.

I hope you're right...but it looks like JA is starting to check out. Bradford Rich named new President of SkyWest, INC.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/skywest-inc-names-bradford-r-rich-president-121623828.html

Of course, if he just checked out cold-turkey, it would probably upset the share-holders. That's probably why he's sticking around with this re-arrangement. It's also important to note that I can be a consipracy theorist.

Last edited:
Or you can be like John Peace and have no ambition and hope for larger planes to come to your own ramp someday. It just won't happen again John, unless SKW tries their own Indy Air. I highly advise that!

I'm glad you enjoy your job! I like mine too!

Latest resources

Back