• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta aggressive with it's regional partners

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Very true and, moreover, also very true of senior regional pilots.

Indeed.

And before you say senior guys don't care, try to remember that commuting on RJs stinks, even for them, and real senior guys are and will be leaving shortly for good. Don't expect any wiggle room from mainline pilots. But, maybe more mainline jobs will open with those retirements on the way.

OYS

I'll reiterate my previous points, pilot have serious cases of amnesia and a tendency to forget the mistakes they've made in the past.

If that senior guy gets a big fat paycheck and/or an enhanced retirement plan, that commute on the RJ won't seem so bad. Just like it did for him in the 90's, or in the contracts of 2000/2001

And I'll repeat another point, if the retirement package in enhanced, it will definitely have an impact on how the top half of the seniority demographics vote. Especially with the paycuts, as well the carriers that lost retirement plans.

You can argue round and round if you wish how legacy guys are going to stand strong on scope. And that's fine. But again, I'll believe it when I see it. The track record isn't so stellar you know.

Indeed.

I'll reiterate my previous points, pilot have serious cases of amnesia and a tendency to forget the mistakes they've made in the past.

If that senior guy gets a big fat paycheck and/or an enhanced retirement plan, that commute on the RJ won't seem so bad. Just like it did for him in the 90's, or in the contracts of 2000/2001

And I'll repeat another point, if the retirement package in enhanced, it will definitely have an impact on how the top half of the seniority demographics vote. Especially with the paycuts, as well the carriers that lost retirement plans.

You can argue round and round if you wish how legacy guys are going to stand strong on scope. And that's fine. But again, I'll believe it when I see it. The track record isn't so stellar you know.

I honestly don't blame them. What would most people do if they said "Here, I will give you $500k (I am making up the number) if you vote this way. It will not affect you in the least, and there is nothing 'immoral' about it"? There are some that may talk big, but I would have a hard time passing up that cash. Don't get me wrong, I hope they don't vote for more scope relaxation, but as the quote above says, I will believe it when I see it.

Indeed.

What you seem to not understand is that many mainline pilots will NEVER forget. Delta furloughed 1310 pilots. United over 2000. It goes on and on. A lot of them are back now, and a lot of them express their disdain of RJs frequently. OYS was one of those furloughed, at UAL. Those furloughs and fleet parkings (DL parked L1011s, 727s, etc after 9-11, right when RJs started to get "popular" to management, but not to frequent business travellers) also caused many people to downgrade to smaller planes, and the widebody Captains of today were probably knocked down a notch too back then. They all remember, and throwing cash at the issue just won't do it this time, or any time in the future. Those 1310 pilots that are now back will also be senior someday, and watching the proliferation of RJs while you are on the street just doesn't wipe away easily. That is something you can't seem to comprehend, probably because you were a part of that proliferation, and now you are seeing the slide downwards.

Another thing you are missing, is that you don't always have to GIVE something in contract negotiations to GET something. Most legacies are still on BK type contracts, and managements know they will be giving a lot of stuff back, which is also called restoration. Even with higher oil (which has come back down a bit in the last week), the airlines are profitable because fare hikes for oil have stuck. Even with a Q1 loss, many are expecting large profits for Q2 and 3. Profitable mainlines often means non profitable regionals, and regionals who won't be getting any more large RJs.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
I honestly don't blame them. What would most people do if they said "Here, I will give you $500k (I am making up the number) if you vote this way. It will not affect you in the least, and there is nothing 'immoral' about it"? There are some that may talk big, but I would have a hard time passing up that cash. Don't get me wrong, I hope they don't vote for more scope relaxation, but as the quote above says, I will believe it when I see it.

There was no relaxation in the joint contract between DL/NWA (there has always been a cap or limit on 70-76 seaters), and Unical ALPA is now going after some of that very flying.

The higher pay is coming regardless now, since Airtran (once a very low cost carrier with lower pay scales) is now going to get SWA payscales. That is good for every Mainline, since that is one less LCC the managements can compare against.

Bye Bye---General Lee

There was no relaxation in the joint contract between DL/NWA (there has always been a cap or limit on 70-76 seaters), and Unical ALPA is now going after some of that very flying.

The higher pay is coming regardless now, since Airtran (once a very low cost carrier with lower pay scales) is now going to get SWA payscales. That is good for every Mainline, since that is one less LCC the managements can compare against.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I hope you are right. I want out of this god forsaken airline.

So you can honestly say, you would NOT give up scope for a payraise? Gotta raise the BS flag on that. Every single person on here would sell out for a raise. The trick management plays is finding the magical raise amount to satify a majority.

BTW i think I should have the Burns avatar and you should have homer in this discussion!

Legacies still have concessionary contracts. Again, who says you have to give up anything? Tighter scope and pay raises are a part of the agenda.

OYS

Another thing you are missing, is that you don't always have to GIVE something in contract negotiations to GET something. Most legacies are still on BK type contracts, and managements know they will be giving a lot of stuff back, which is also called restoration.

Bye Bye---General Lee

http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/19/news/companies/jeff_smisek_united_continental.fortune/index.htm

Have a glance at what the CEO of the worlds largest airline thinks...At least in public he's disagreeing that "they will be giving a lot of stuff back." Specifically read the paragraphs following the header "Video: Why Smisek Reads All his Emails."

http://money.cnn.com/2011/04/19/news/companies/jeff_smisek_united_continental.fortune/index.htm

Have a glance at what the CEO of the worlds largest airline thinks...At least in public he's disagreeing that "they will be giving a lot of stuff back." Specifically read the paragraphs following the header "Video: Why Smisek Reads All his Emails."

Of course the CEO won't say that in public, but he wants labor peace and cooperation in the Single Operating Certificate, so he'll change his mind, or else he may wind up with the next USAir. Those UAL and CAL pilots won't take his crap either. This will be an ugly Summer if negotiations stall even longer. So far Delta and ALPA worked well together on SOC, and we'll see if that translates into faster negotiations for Delta pilots.

OYS

Last edited:
So you can honestly say, you would NOT give up scope for a payraise? Gotta raise the BS flag on that. Every single person on here would sell out for a raise. The trick management plays is finding the magical raise amount to satify a majority.

BTW i think I should have the Burns avatar and you should have homer in this discussion!

HA HA HA!!! Are you serious?? If you honestly believe this, then you are WAY out of touch. EVERY captain I fly with and pilot I talk to have all said the same thing. There is NO amount of money worth relaxing scope. The General is right. The lessons have been learned, even by the super senior that sold out the young years ago, that scope is everything. What good is a big raise if it further eliminates major airline jobs thus forcing people out of their seats, equipment, or even an active position on the seniority list? It's not happening this time...or ever again.

Homer

Latest resources

Back