• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta AE is out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anyone else going to bed at night and having MD88 flashbacks? I've got a really hot wife, but just when things get started I have a recall of poles and ladders or brake chatter.... It must be the opposite of 757 induced priapism. Someone needs to name this condition because, "oh damn, I'm headed back to the 88'itis" is just too long.

Last edited:
I think I am already liking our APA system much better. For one, there is a seat lock but you can change bases monthly if you have the seniority and in many cases you don't need much.. I have a couple friends in Texas on the A320 who change often between DTW, MSP and MEM. They switch things up to make commuting easier as NW switches Compass/Pinnacle with mainline flights in and out of their home towns. And they like Tennessee in the winter, Minnesota in the summer.

Our APA system at Delta would be not a good system but a great system. Imagine being able to be awarded a permanent or temporary position within an airline that had five or more base options for certain aircraft on a monthly basis.

Perhaps there some hidden benefits to the DL AE system that I haven't seen.

Last edited:
I think I am already liking our APA system much better. For one, there is a seat lock but you can change bases monthly if you have the seniority and in many cases you don't need much.. I have a couple friends in Texas on the A320 who change often between DTW, MSP and MEM. They switch things up to make commuting easier as NW switches Compass/Pinnacle with mainline flights in and out of their home towns. And they like Tennessee in the winter, Minnesota in the summer.

Our APA system at Delta would be not a good system but a great system. Imagine being able to be awarded a permanent or temporary position within an airline that had five or more base options for certain aircraft on a monthly basis.

What about the fact that you get to a base where you live and someone senior to you comes bopping in and out changing what you can hold every month? Our system does not separate lineholders from reserve so the bottom 10% of the category will probably get a reserve line. Some more senior people bid reserve for QOL but it wouldn't be too cool having someone vacation in your base and kick you down to reserve. On the other hand, smaller monthly AEs like you guys have instead of the quarterly bench clearers we have would be great.

It's gonna take some time, my friend. You'll find out our new company takes pride in tradition, history. Unfortunately it also transcends beyond our uniform, our policies. It also includes the way we run our operation, i.e. ecrew/AE process.

What about the fact that you get to a base where you live and someone senior to you comes bopping in and out changing what you can hold every month?
Yeah that does happen. We have some guys from the south who swap back and forth between MSP and DTW. Generally not an issue when bidding trips but occasionally they will take some real nice MSP Asia trips in winter and then head back to DTW for the Europe flying in the summer.

Some more senior people bid reserve for QOL but it wouldn't be too cool having someone vacation in your base and kick you down to reserve.
That shouldn't happen. I am a block holder(schedule holder) on the B757. I don't want to do reserve and if displaced instead of going to reserve on the B757, I could go to the A320 as a block holder even if I had just been trained on the B757. And you can't displace someone just because you want to swap around. Actually unless there are displacements, you can't bump anyone.

Our system does not separate lineholders from reserve so the bottom 10% of the category will probably get a reserve line.
This would be cool. So if you are a line holder and maybe think it's going to be a slow month, you live in base so you do the reserve thing knowing that the following month you can be back on schedule. More difficult to do this at NWA. You could do a temp reserve but there's no guarantee that you would get it.

Last edited:
I am NYC 88 as a 2000 hire, desperately attempting to get ANYTHING other than my current position in NY...

How the heck did you get stuck on the 88 NYC as a 2000 hire? You may have some troubles now getting off of it. Even the NYC 7ER went so senior on the last bid that I couldn't hold it as an August 2000 hire. They are displacing in my category 767 B ATL so I've got a voluntary displacement in for the 7ER NYC. A few of my buddies on the 777 and ATL ER are putting in the same. This bid is going to be interesting to say the least and one of our union guys say the bid in the summer will have more of the same unless the economy turns around.

What about the fact that you get to a base where you live and someone senior to you comes bopping in and out changing what you can hold every month?

That problem is solved with separate bid catagories for reserve and block. Which is nice, you always know what you'll get.

Latest resources

Back