• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delay of the Age 65 Rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Duke: Just for fun, tell us what the IBT would do with a leader that voted opposite of the membership's majority?[/quote]

Ask Jimmy Hoffa!! Maybe he can answer that question, NO wait, forget about that.

DA

Yeah, Ill take that Pepsi challenge (your words, not mine!)

No pay DH...yes, I remember,...and after I arrived, 1/2 pay Dh to everything...

It was assumed that if the company wasn't making anything, why should we???...IE...flight was cancelled...no money to company...no money to our bottom line...no money to our paycheck....kinda like we were all entrepreneurs...

No 401k...period...(or match)...period...no 401k..

4-day trip...pays 16.0...no rigs...months on end....

Sr. line pays 103.5...Jr. line pays 86.5...no guarantee, or rigs...

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention that the profit sharing was realigned before my arrival!!!

I may be wrong. but certain memories seem to burn pretty deep, so correct me if I'm wrong!!!

Oh....by the way,...I luved it back then...times were great...

Hummm......I sense hostility...not going to go there now...just had some nostalgic recollections...allow me the moment....

TP

You say you took the challenge, but all you did was relive some memories and forget why you started your post. So which costs more--Being a newhire/junior dude under the old rules vs. 5 more years as FO. You can factor in how fast you dudes made Captain too.

Are you a 59 1/2 guy? Getting lost in the parking lot yet?

I can assume Chest Rockwell can't do it either since there has been no response.

Why don't you cats just tell me what you really want to say--

"Life was tougher when I was new guy. I don't care about your career progression--I want more now and I won't let you stop me."

I do feel for the guys who retired under the conditions you describe. They deserve more.

Last edited:
You're right FBJ. "Cradle to grave", lucrative employment is their birthright. Everyone else is doing this at their discretion.

I do feel for the guys who retired under the conditions you describe. They deserve more.

Yeah...like maybe 5 more years...

BTW....had a guy here at SWA retire in Dec 2006 as an FO...so sad....finally had his dream job, but was forced to retire from it before he got to upgrade. Not to mention a whole host of legacy guys in the same boat....

Yeah...like maybe 5 more years...

BTW....had a guy here at SWA retire in Dec 2006 as an FO...so sad....finally had his dream job, but was forced to retire from it before he got to upgrade. Not to mention a whole host of legacy guys in the same boat....

THE HUMANITY! Someone had to retire as an FO because there is a manditory age limit!? Better get on this age 65 thing post haste! That will fix all our problems!

Do any of you guys ever wonder what pilots did when their airline shutdown overnight? I can tell you without hesitation, that is much worse than dealing with a retirement age requirement. You SWA guys shut one down in Dallas years ago and I didn't hear much outcry for their needs?! Prussian: why don't you take your mocking "Not to mention a whole host of legacy guys in the same boat...." comment and stick it up your butt. Yeah right...you care about legacy guys?!

Don't feel sad for that FO you think should make captain. He can fly elsewhere, as many have. What he probably needs is the money. YOU can fix that! Your in section 6 soon and you work for a profitable airline. Go get him and all you other coworkers a comfortable retirement and fix everybodys problems.

Last edited:
It is funny how the pro 65 guys complain about how unjust the law is and how they are being discriminated against. All the ones that benefited from the rule are now trying to change it! You did not care about the thousands of guys that had to retire, but now that you are in the left seat with a good line you want it to change. If I told you I wanted it to change when I was 59, you would say I was greedy and selfish. THAT IS WHAT YOU GUYS ARE DOING!!!

I used to be neutral on the issue. What changed me was when I was talking to two cappies and told them that I was ok leaving it as is. Well they started to tell me how I was forcing guys on the street and how greedy I was. After beratement was over, I listened to them over the next hour talk about how much money they could make if they could stay for another 5 years. So, needless to say I am against changing the rule now. Leave it like it is and get on with your life. If you cared about "healthy" dudes losing their jobs, I have one question for you....What have you done for all the furloughed??? That is what I thought!

Wow foxhunter all these people cosponsors signed up and still no action since feb 07, this bill is really building momentum.

Yep. Exactly.

Don't think about the average guy. Think of the worst pilot you ever flew with. Now think of him at 69.5 - or 64.5 for that matter.

It's be one thing if we could pick and choose, but the weak sisters will get to go longer too. And because nobody will do any research into this - the free market will have to rule.

What does that have to do with age 60? At all of the airlines that I have worked at the weak link eventually gets discovered. Once discovered they are either reprogrammed or reassigned (made into chief pilots or some higher position) or eliminated. I really do not get your point.

What Prussian forgot to mention is that the FO that turned 60 spend a full career plus in the military by choice and came to SWA late in life - by choice.

Gup

Latest resources

Back