Delay Gear Extension in icing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
no axe

I fly with many former J-ball pilots and to the last man they say it performed OK in light icing. More than that and you had a problem.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the topic. Clearly, you just have an axe to grind.

Please no Ax to grind here, just sharing info from the NTSB report. We use it in CRM training to demonstrate an overbearing Capt., and a non-assertive F/O. I was questioning your original post about being forced to fly airplanes in conditions they were not designed for and having to invent procedures to cope.

I was questioning your original post about being forced to fly airplanes in conditions they were not designed for and having to invent procedures to cope.

I never said pilots were being forced to fly in conditions that particular airplanes are not well suited for. If pilots were being forced to do this it would be an easier problem to fix. Instead, pilots will go outside an aircrafts envelope willingly and make up crazy procedures to justify it to themselves (and possibly others) that the situation in question is now safe.

Unfortunately, many pilots seemed to be hard wired into a "mission complete" state of mind. This weakness has been and probably always will be the most significant obstacle to air safety.

As someone who flies in winter icing for a job (I actually seek it out), its hard to foresee a situation where you would need to delay gear extension. Just lower them as you normally would, it should be okay. If you are going through freezing precip that is so intense to freeze up the wheel brakes, you will probably have much bigger problems to worry about soon.

Now if we want to get into flaps usage when I come in rather iced up, its a bit different story, but then I am in C90.

As someone who flies in winter icing for a job (I actually seek it out), its hard to foresee a situation where you would need to delay gear extension. Just lower them as you normally would, it should be okay. If you are going through freezing precip that is so intense to freeze up the wheel brakes, you will probably have much bigger problems to worry about soon.

Now if we want to get into flaps usage when I come in rather iced up, its a bit different story, but then I am in C90.

Please continue....

Please continue....

Use Approach flaps, and no more. You do not want to be screwing around with full flaps when you have a significant amount of icing on the airplane.

Use Approach flaps, and no more. You do not want to be screwing around with full flaps when you have a significant amount of icing on the airplane.

In a turboprop you have a very good point here if you are flying 91. Best place for the flaps if a missed appch is needed. And as far as stopping, no worries with beta and/or reverse depending on the amount of snow.

However, as previously stated...if your company op's doesn't cover this...don't do it. If you bend some metal regardless of what caused the problem and you were operating outside of company procedures...you're DONE!

Baja.

Yes, its Pt 91.

But usage of full flaps in an iced up airplane is a safety issue, and I would rather violate some kind of company ops and live, than crash and die.

Latest resources

Back