Delay Gear Extension in icing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Checks

I flew with a guy who insists that you should wait to extend the landing gear while in icing conditions. He said the brakes could not work if you leave the gear down in icing. Being a former frieght dog I was surprised I had never heard of this. What say you guys?

Never heard of it, but to leave the gear down for a while after t/o on a contaminated runway to allow slush to dispersed and hence not freeze the brakes at altitude enroute, now that i have heard of!!

it'd have to be some good fzra or clear ice to freeze ur brakes. a dusting of rime ice won't do anything cold temps in the wheel wells wouldn't already have done.

You got to ask yourself is it worth disrupting the normal flow in the cockpit? I have never done this and never had an issue. It could be a consideration in heavy icing conditions, but not normally.

I flew with a guy who insists that you should wait to extend the landing gear while in icing conditions. He said the brakes could not work if you leave the gear down in icing. Being a former frieght dog I was surprised I had never heard of this. What say you guys?

I've never heard of brakes freezing up and not working. I have however heard of them freezing up after application and then not being able to move.

You got to ask yourself is it worth disrupting the normal flow in the cockpit?
Have you ever had a day where the normal flow of the cockpit wasn't distracted?

As to the original question, it would have to be some pretty heavy icing to get into your brakes and lock 'em up.

Have you ever had a day where the normal flow of the cockpit wasn't distracted?

Actually, yes. Almost every flight. I try to do things the same way every flight. Not to say I don't adapt, but routine things like when I put the gear down etc, samo samo. Some icing wouldn't change that was my point.

I fly the Dash 8 and only once did I hold off on the gear. It was really good icing. But then again look how the Dash 8's Landing gear hangs out.

I believe the CommutAir 1900D's were equiped with Brake Deice. Hot Bleed air Lines ran down to the brakes. Great option for flying in the North East.

Unauthorized Procedures = Death

How many accidents have been caused by iced up brakes? By changing procedures to aviod a non-problem you may be introducing a greater problem. Remember Hibbing, MN and the Express One JetStream-31 fatal accident. Express One pilots had developed an unauthroized procedure to fly through icing, it was called the slam dunk. Fly over the IAF at about 6.000' over the published altitude, and then flt idle descent in an unstablized apporach to cross the FAF on altitude. Icing was never problem, but slamming the airplane into the ground at 2,500/min descent was the result. 18 dead, 2 crew 16 pax

Latest resources

Back