• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delay Gear Extension in icing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Certification requires transport category aircraft demonstrate a lack of problems with this. But of course if you are in severe icing, by definition you shouldn't be trying to land anyway.

Now, if you are talking about a Piper Cadet...what the heck are you doing in icing in the first place?

Certification requires transport category aircraft demonstrate a lack of problems with this. But of course if you are in severe icing, by definition you shouldn't be trying to land anyway.

Now, if you are talking about a Piper Cadet...what the heck are you doing in icing in the first place?

If you have gear extension problems in a Piper Cadet, you have some serious issues.

I have never heard of delaying dropping the gear. I wouldn't think they would be problematic because they are not really an aerodynamic surface. When you fly through real bad icing, where there is still some on the plane when you land, have you ever seen it on any parts of the plane that are not aerodynamic surfaces? I have only really seen it left on the radome and the wing nav light covers, usually the fuselage is clean.

Never heard of it, but to leave the gear down for a while after t/o on a contaminated runway to allow slush to dispersed and hence not freeze the brakes at altitude enroute, now that i have heard of!!

We were specifically told, at least for the EMB-145, in our winter ops this year to not leave the gear down and to retract at a normal time. Other planes may have different procedures.

I would think the greater concern would be building a large amount of ice on the gear and then retracting it during a go-around. The chances of disturbing brake operation seems remote. I don't delay extension of the gear, just thinking out loud.

I seem to remember something from the EMB-120 about holding clean because of ice accumulation. But on approach? Just fly it normally.

If I'm so iced up I'm power limited, that seems like a prudent occasion to delay gear extension. But if a/c performance is nominal, gear extension should be at the normal time = as late as possible within the confines of a stable approach.

Never heard of it!

Latest resources

Back